Online support for grief?

robinm1922

One day at a time
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good online grief support group? I lost my mom almost 4 weeks ago and feel like I need to join a support group for a bit.

My mom was both parents to me, my dad walked out when I was 9 and he passed when I was 17. So mom stepped up and raised 4 kids on her own and was both mom and dad! I feel broken and lost, at least my difficult child has been doing really well and has been super supportive.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Robin
:sad-very:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so sorry you lost your mom, Robin. I think for many of us, that's the hardest person to lose.

I don't have any info on grief support, but want to extend my heartfelt sympathy... and hugs.

Hopefully others here can share their experiences with you with online groups.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't know of any groups online, either, but also want to send my condolences.

Many, many hugs.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm so sorry for your loss. I Googled "online grief support" and found several online groups, I would suggest trying that .. hugs to you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Robin,

I'm really without words for the loss of your Mom. I am very sorry for the loss you feel. I do know that most major hospitals have grief counseling sessions held at their facilities. While you are asking for an on line support group? Two thoughts come to mind. First is - Remaining anonymous and crying in front of your computer while good for a while isn't good forever. Two? It took me a lot of time to 'get used to' the gals here and be comfortable with telling my story to anyone so an on line support (while a great step in the right direction) leaves you looking longer for what I would think you'd need sooner. Make sense?
Then again? Maybe you don't need to be in a room full of other people who are depressed about grief - but then again? If you don't go you'll never know. You just may find there are more supportive people there than needy. Lord knows if I could have reached out in a group like this? I don't think any of us would have ever GONE home. (The brownie and margarita party would STILL be wide open)

Hugs & Love
Star

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Star makes an excellent point about the benefits of a "live" support group over a cyber group. Your healing will likely happen sooner, and be more thorough with a face-2-face group. But certainly until you can find one like that, an online group could do. And then you've always got the wonderful people here, many of whom HAVE lost a parent... some more recently than others. Your conversations don't need to be out in the open here, either. PM's work wonderfully for that.

(((Hugs)))

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Check with area hospice associations. Though many of them run in real life grief groups; I'd be there are some for online groups as well. In addition, you can do a search on grief groups and then check them out to see if any of them offer support for those who have lost a parent.

I worked with an excellent online grief group for a few years after husband died, but they were aimed at widow/ers.

robinm1922

One day at a time
Thanks everyone, I think you are all right in needing a face to face support group. The hard part is most of the in person groups I have found are for spouses or lost children. There is one group I am waiting to hear back from.

The support here and through in person group meeting with NAMI has been awesome which is what lead me to an online support for this.
Thanks again!