OOOOOOOOH. lucky us, another diagnosis!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
So I go to my difficult child's 504 meeting after a new battery of testing was done. difficult child is officially daignosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and post traumatic stress. After the testing that was just done they tell me they are sure she is ADHD as well (we have no insurance and cannot afford further testing right now) My thought in the end is - does it really matter how many labels they stick on this kid? I know what her behavior is like and am much less interested in a label as I am about helping her gain tools to get her through her schooling.
They fought me tooth and nail about having all her text books stay at home even though it was written into last years 504. So I got louder and angrier than them and made it happen. What is the point of giving me a "new" diagnosis and then giving me hard time about what minor accomodations she needs at school?
Joke for the day: how many diagnosis's does it take to screw in a 504 planner?
ughghghghghghghghgghgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smallworld

Dara, school administrators can't diagnosis ADHD. Only a medical doctor can. In fact, it's illegal for schools to diagnosis medical conditions.

I agree that the school shouldn't be giving you such a hard time. But it seems as if many of us come up against school districts that want to offer the fewest acommodations possible.

BusynMember

I wouldn't trust a school district to diagnose anything. in my opinion at best they can point toward certain deficits and maybe offer some help (often they don't want to because it costs them $$$). If it were me, I'd try to save up for a private evaluation. I think NeuroPsychs are best, but they can be pricey.
Every school my son was in told me he has ADHD. He doesn't. He's on the autism spectrum. in my opinion, yes, it matters what the child has so that he can get the correct help a nd so that, if medications are offered, they are the right medications as the wrong medications can make the child even worse. Again JMO though

Sara PA

The IDEA 2004 bans school districts from requiring that children diagnosed with or thought to have ADHD be medicated. School district personnel can decide that any kid has ADHD but that doesn't constitute a medical diagnosis. They're job is to provide the educational supports needed regardless of the diagnosis or treatment choices.

by the way, if the district has jumped to the conclusion that your daughter has ADHD, at least they haven't decided she's just a bad kid. If they believe she has ADHD, then ask for an IEP outlining how they are going to accommodate her needs.

LittleDudesMom

Ok, you say that you don't have insurance and can't afford further testing - so it was the school system who did the testing? They are sure she has adhd???

I understand what you are saying about labels, but her recent diagnosis is going to be vital in getting her some services. Her diagnosis of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and ADHD will qualify her for and IEP rather than a 504. Insist on it!

Because of the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) diagnosis, she should be working with a speech therapist on a regular basis. Many kids with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) are falsly diagnosis'd with adhd because many of the "side effects' of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) mimic symtoms of adhd. Get your daughter on an IEP rather than a 504. That school knows she qualifes, don't let them bambuzzle you. Your daughter will be much more protected with an IEP.

Sharon

smallworld

Dxes don't in and of themselves qualify a student for an IEP. It is whether the student's disability has a significant impact on accessing education that qualifies the student.

oceans

When we obtained an IEP, there had to be a letter from a Dr. stating the diagnoses. We then had to have a meeting to determine if the diagnoses impaired education. My guess would be that if there is a 504 in place, and a set of books are needed at home....there is an impact of the diagnoses on education.

Mine got an IEP in 6th grade, and although there were problems with that school in implementing it, there are far greater protections in having it. Now that he is in high school, we finally have a team that are working with us to address his needs. I don't know what we would have done without the IEP....it has made all the difference in so many ways. It has helped him so much!

You might want to consider doing what is necessary to get one.

Christy

School can't diagnosis but can probably recognize ADHD symptoms. You are under no obligation to seek medical intervention or further evaluation unless you choose to do so.

jannie

trying to survive....
School psychologists can now diagnose adhd through psychological testing, parent questionnaires and observations. This diagnosis can help you to get services through and IEP or 504, but as others said....diagoses DO NOT guarantee services...It's all about significant educational impact. Additionally when a school makes a diagnosis, they may suggest that you take this information and review it with your doctor but you are not under ANY obligation to put your child on medication. Actually sometimes the school systems spends more time diagnosising ahd than the pediatrician. I've seem several doctors make the diagnosis after brief visits...not questionnaires..

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Dara,

What a day! I agree that you should push for the IEP ~ as another stated, an IEP is enforceable by law.

Having said that, at one point ktbug & wm had so many diagnosis's I didn't know if I was coming or going. I lost the idea of a diagnosis & pushed for a common sense, workable treatment plan. My babies were drowning & for the life of me, I couldn't reach them with a life saver.

I pulled in our team of professionals & insisted on a team mtg. Thus began a workable treatment plan. A plan that could be followed. With the level of PSTD anxieties & behaviors rearing their ugly heads we had to have a set plan....when to call crisis team, when to administer PRN medications, who to call for help when........ I think you get my point.

Education was just one part of the treatment plan. The team didn't much care of that part of the team agreed or not; their job was to educate the tweedles as best they could while the rest of the team worked on the apparent presenting symptoms. It worked when the educational side of the team jumped on board with the plan.

I'm sorry this has been so very difficult for you & your difficult child. I don't know if this helps or not.

I'm hoping you're having a somewhat relaxing weekend.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Thank you everyone for all your input - I guess part of what Linda said really hit the nail for me. I think it's the fact that even if difficult child is adhd, those letters are not helping her get through school. With all the letters they attach as a diagnosis what happens to the actual child. If she acts up in class is that because of the odd, adhd, ptsd, etc? In my mind what matters is that she is acting up in class. I was relieved to get the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) diagnosis many years ago because it helps me know how to deal with her better - so I get the whole "you need to know what's wrong with her thing". But the school knows no matter what that all of these other things are going on with her and she needs to be helped. I guess at the end of the meeting it felt as though they were trying to treat/help a diagnosis and not a child. It was a confirmation in my head that they really don't "get it". And if I can't get my point across as a non-difficult child to the school, how is difficult child supposed to be a self advocate? It was just very disheartening and made me see a little more what difficult child deals with in school on a daily basis - it's so sad - she has to try twice as hard as other kids and they treat her like she's not trying at all. I'm just frustrated.
-Dara

Sara PA

I hope you repeat this often to the school personnel you deal with: "she has to try twice as hard as other kids and they treat her like she's not trying at all." They need to be reminded of that.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hey, at least here in OK, if the school says your child has diagnosis X and needs medications to attend school (if even ONE employee of the school district says this) then the SCHOOL must PAY for the medication!!!

Not sure this came to play, but it does make a good case for audio taping the meetings!!

I am sorry they are giving you a hard time.

Hugs,

Susie