Ooops Strawberry Glaze

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
A couple of you (TM) asked for the glaze recipe I use - turns out it isn't with yogurt but with cream cheese - for the angel food cake with the strawberry yogurt glaze. (by the way, I'll now have to try it using vanilla yogurt & see what I can create. I bet something wonderful can be created with the yogurt, strawberries & such) I generally bake a store box cake & use the following recipe as a glaze.

Glaze:
  • 2 ounces cream cheese softened
  • 1 tablespoon mashed strawberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, mashed strawberries and vanilla in small bowl until blended. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until blended then spoon over cake.

I use a low fat (not non-fat) cream cheese; at times I use almond extract instead of vanilla. If I'm feeling daring I'll shred bits of dark chocolate on the cake before I use on the glaze. I've been known to use raspberries instead but generally will have to increase the amount of powdered sugar.

Good luck & enjoy.

dreamer

YUM! Thank you for posting this!

I make something sorta kinda similar with this kind of cream cheese powdered sugar as a base, and top it with pudding, mousse, pie filling, fruit etc.

This sounds wonderful, and maybe it will make me think of summer dureing this awful cold spell!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM,

Glad this worked out for you - I thought about this recipe all afternoon long after I posted this thread.

Blueberries, I'd love to try it with lemon somehow (low fat cream cheese with lemon pie filling - skip the powdered sugar). A maple or almond glaze? How would I doctor it up to maintain a bit of health (i.e. angel food cake) with a healthier glaze? Caramel?

It's all in the amount - that little bit of cream cheese & sugar versus an entire cake is nothing for your healthy eating choices.

This could turn into an cold afternoon experiment for kt & myself this afternoon. Whip out those lab aprons! :targetpractice::bigsmile: