Opinion time

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I read in the paper from the weekend that two school board positions are open and that as of last weekend no one had turned in the paperwork to run. So I stopped in and got the nominating paperwork. Has to be turned in by the 31st. Now it is a three year term.

I was talking to husband on the phone after I got back to the house rattling off all the places I had been and ended with the getting the packet to run for school board and he said ok. Now I don't know if he actually heard me or if I slid it in there so he didn't catch it (which is sort of what I was trying for).

What do you think? Should I try for it? I would have to get 50 signatures of people from this school district. I think I could do that. I mean I work at the bowling alley for pete's sake after a beer or two those folks will sign anything.

beth

Christy

Good for you! Of course you can do it! You will be able to offer a new perspective to the school board having raised difficult children!

Good Luck!
Christy

muttmeister

Definitely...go for it.
Those of us with difficult children have a unique perspective that doesn't often get represented. Having been a teacher for 34 years, I know some of the problems from both sides of the fence. I suspect being on the school board would give you a new perspective about some things and you could certainly enlighten others about some things they've never thought about as well.
I would point out that, if you are going to be on the school board, it would be important for you to have the best interests of ALL kids at heart, not just those with problems like ours, but I'm sure that would not be a problem. The only way to improve things is to DO something. Just sitting around complaining won't do it. This sounds like a great opportunity.

F

flutterbee

Go for it, girl! You would be an amazing asset to the board. They'd be lucky to have you.

:warrior:

I'm beaming with pride that one of our board members is thinking about doing this. Thank you, Beth.

klmno

Run as fast as you can to get those sigs and get this in the mail and never second guess this decision again- in my humble opinion!!

TerryJ2

Neat if you want to do that, Beth.
But schoolboard mtngs can be long and dull.
If you've got a good tolerance for that, go for it.
And if you've got a good way of discussing issues with-people so you can find the commonalities. that's even better.
Are you self funded? Or does City Council fund you?
Is it part time? (Our is.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU GO FOR IT

MADAME BOARD PERSON!!!!!! MADAME BOARD WOMAN.....

Really? A bowling alley? HOW TOTALLY cool - I took lessons when I was a teen - I LOVE to bowl.

I think you would be AWESOME!!!!!

meowbunny

It can be mind-numbing meetings with some very small-minded individuals. You might be frustrated to no end because a small group will basically run roughshod over the meetings and have the votes to get through what they want regardless of what is best for all. Like many political jobs, it can be thankless. Do be prepared to have people harangue you on the streets, at the bowling alley, in the public bathroom.

At the same time, you may actually be able to accomplish something or at least say you tried. You may actually be a voice that is heard and listened to. Public service is thankless but worthwhile. If you think you can handle the frustrations, go for it. If not, enjoy your life as it is and do what is right for you.