Opinionated Pharmacists?

howlongto18

Have any of you run into this? I'm sick of it! We have gotten so many judgemental comments from pharmacists and pharmacy technicians when we fill prescriptions I just want to start flipping them the bird rather than answer.

These people have no clue what we are facing and ask, "HOW old is the patient?" "And he's ALREADY on SEROQUEL, WHY?!"

That was the most recent one, my husband just said "because he needs it." I asked him why he even responded and he said because it was a small older lady, lol.

Once I asked them to tear up a prescription for ritalin when we were trying that because it was written incorrectly. They made the assumption that I was tearing it up because I didn't want it. This was after a year of guilt over even wanting to try anything and she congratulates me for tearing it up and says she wishes more people would do that. I didn't say anything.

I just want to come up with a canned answer like, "because I don't love my child" or something of the wall to shut them up. Maybe I should just ask if they would be willing to babysit if we take him off his medications.

crazymama30

Ask them if they ask people how old is the patient for insulin?? for seizure medications, which by the way can also be used as mood stabilizers. They are acting ignorant and unprofessional, and should be reported to their managers.

F

flutterbee

I would just reply, "We are following the advice and recommendations of the doctor.", and leave it at that. That should remind them of their place.

klmno

I havne' experienced this but have read about some pharmicist getting pretty verbal about their opinions- telling people they shouldn't let their daughters be on birth control, etc. I would call who ever owns the pharmacy and complain. If that doesn't work, can you take your prescriptions somewhere else? I wouldn't deal with it, myself. If there was no away around doing business there, I'd probably start making comments like- "Oh, you don't really think you should wear glasses like that, or you're so fortunate, you must never need to go to the dr and get scripts, do you? , etc".

I know- that would be B****y wouldn't it?

4sumrzn

Well, I was a Pharmacy Tech for 13 years & the only time I would mention anything is if there was a drug interaction involved OR if someone asked my opinion (most of those patients had been coming there for a long time). Anyway, I think it is WRONG for anyone at the pharmacy to question any of the medications unless there is a direct interaction that could be harmful. I would be seeking to speak with the manager, depending on where you go.....many pharmacies have totally different management than the store. I would also suggest trying out a new pharmacy & hope that the people are more understanding & professional.

Sheila

If it was said in an "all knowing" manner, I'd be aggravated also.:mad:

Just FYI, our pharmacists always asks for a birth date -- matters not which one of us is having a rx filled. It's one safety measure to cross-check that they have the correct individual pulled up.

Also, doctor's make mistakes like everyone else. My former father in law was a pharmacist. He saved more than one life by catching rx's written incorrectly. Mostly it was a too high dosage written incorrectly for a child.

I'm not sure how things are with-pharmacists these days, but there was a time that I would have preferred the doctor to diagnosis, and the pharmacist to prescribe the rx. in my opinion, there's just no way can a doctor keep up with all the medications and their interactions.

witzend

To be sure you want the pharmacist to watch for interactions and unwanted side affects. To that end, I guess my reply would be

"Because the doctor prescribed it. Is there some contraindication that you would like to make me aware of?"

If his response is opinionated, I'd point blank tell him/her "I can't see that it's any of your business, and unless you have something professional to add to the mix, I'd appreciate it if you would butt out."

howlongto18

Thanks,

The thing is that we've been to more than one pharmacy and had this problem. I probably should write a letter to management about it. It's just ridiculous that we have to. The worst is when it happens in front of my son!

I must have a target on my head, because I tend to get bad customer service everywhere I go, not just at pharmacies. I don't think my expectations are very high...

nvts

How about "because my rubber mallet broke"

How about "because I'm afraid that if I don't medicate him, they're going to have to hospitalize me"

How about "lack of anything better to do"

How about "because I can't get a refill on MY sedatives"

How about "well, YOU obviously ran out of your stupid pills because you had to ask such a stupid question"

How about "because if I don't medicate him, I have to deal with a-holes like YOU who ask too many nosey, obnoxious questions when he acts up"

How about "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

How about "because he reacted really well to them at the drug party we all went to this weekend"

How about "because the insurance won't cover Scotch and a beer"

and don't forget to add at the end "you have a nice day too!"

Feel free to change any of the above to suit your needs!

have fun!

Beth

dreamer

Truth is I have had way more than my fair share or rude people in all fields, in so many circumstances it is not funny. In person, on phone etc. People asking stupid questions, people offering stupid opinions etc.
BUT at the same time, many people also are negligent and do NOT fulfill their professional responsibility, too.
I know that sometimes what sounds like an opinion might be a poorly worded thing when there might be a good reason for the question or opinion.
Truth is a pharmacist does have some liability for the medications (s)he hands you. A nurse who is anding your child a medication at school or camp or in docs office also has some liability for administering that medication. In case there is some mistake in any part of the medication, these other people also can be held to some level of responsibility.
Doctors are who Rx's the medication, this is true..and some docs decide what medications to RX based on a drug reps pushing certain drugs. There are more than one instance of a doctor writing a RX for a wrong medication, or wrong dose, or writing in such poor handwriting it is NOT easily read. It is a pharmacists job and responsibility, and also a nurses to be a double check, it is their job, by law, to understand WHY the medication is given, what the dose is and if it is a dose that falls into certain parameters and such.
It is the pharmacist and not the doctor who has the most knowledge specific to any drug. Docs learn a lot of things at school, a wide range of things, but it is the pharmacist who has the specific drug knowledge. It is the pharmacist who has learned all the intricate complicated details of how the drug works, how it interacts etc. And technically no nurse is supposed to give a medication at all ever to anyone without first determining WHY the medication is given, so she can look it up in her handy pocket drug guide and she is responsible and bound by law and nurseing professional code of ethics and conduct to know if this reason for this medication is "acceptable" and if the need is still there for this specific dose and if the dose falls into the parameters. She is also responsible in an inpatient setting to determine if the drug she gave did give the expected therapeutic results. THat is part of the pharmacists job and part of the nurses job, one of the many things they are legally responsible for, why they are paid, why there are so many steps to such processes. Multiple level "safety checks" - becuz noone is infallible.
I cannot tell you how often a mistake IS fund and stopped by useing this multi step accountability, LOTS of mistakes. Life threatening mistakes. And even with the multiple safety checks in place, mistakes STILL slip thru. Why? Cuz too often the professionals get lax, and patients get too annoyed etc. There is a long line backing up and people get nervous, embarrassed, angry, shy, short tempered etc. So the safety checks are not given the level of attention and seriousness they are due.
And becuz professionals ask the questions they need to ask in rude ways, or they yes, offer unsolicited opinions. But if you think about it, especially when you consider psychiatric medications? There are very very few set in stone medication protocols. psychiatric medications ARE "hit or miss" Unlike illnesses such as infections where there is a concrete definite drug for the specific job. AND in cases of children, so many many of the drugs are not tested in children....When a doctor Rx'es a medication to a child such as Ritalin or Buspar or whatever- the doctor is simply making a guess, offering an opinion and TRIALING this medication. The pharmacist might very well have his (or her) own VERY good qualified reasons to question a particular medication, in a particular circumstance. The pharmacist might very well have some pertinant relevant knowledge and input. Also keep in mind, some medications are used for multiple reasons, for multiple diagnosis. The pharmacist might need to know what the diagnosis is to determine of the dose is correct for that specific diagnosis. If a medication is being used for say bipolar, the typical dose is different than if it is being used for seizure control. And if there are warnings to be given, it is the pharmacists job to give you the warning. Have you ever been asked to SIGN that you either accepted or refused "counseling" when you have picked up a RX? The pharmacist must be able to PROVE (with that signature) that you were offered the opportunity to hear of any dangers etc.

Like I said, yes, there are also pharmacists who are just simply rude for rudes sake......just as there are rude people anywhere you go. I went in to pay a car payment in person today and the darned banker was so incredibly rude I wanted to throw my money in her eyes. Then I went to our county Health Dept to turn in some credentials for my file for a volunteer position and the receptionist was horribly rude. Then I went to pick up a salad for lunch and asked the counter person what is in a salad on their menu- the counter person simply said "I do not know" and then stood there looking at me like she wished I would go away. I left there, got in car, I had a green light but someone ran their red light and nearly hit me and they actually stopped their car and glared at ME! Rudeness seems to be the order of business these days. Everywhere.
BUT be sure there is NOT a good reason for them asking some of those questions, cuz there very well might be a very good reason for the questions....even if the questions come out rude or make you uncomfortable. AND.......remember- YOU were nervous about makeing the decision to start these medications------BUT the pharmacist does not know YOU. The pharmacist has NO clue how knowledgeable YOU are. And the pharmacist does know how strong these medications can be and the potential dangerous possible side effects, adverse effects and risks. And who knows if this pharmacist has knowledge of YOUR doctor ? Maybe the pharmacist does, and maybe not.

klmno

Dreamer, I took it like she really had a rude pharmicist. I, too, appreciate the pharmicist's knowledge- I call them often to ask medication questions and they are very helpful. I have a cousin who has a PharmPhd (or whatever it's called). I do think though that some are not paying attention to their job but are trying to tell you what parental decisions to make. And, once my repsected pharmicist sent me home with a bottle of medications for an elderly man with heart and blood pressure issues. Now what if difficult child had taken those pills and the older man had taken mood stabilizers?

dreamer

docs are also often telling you what parental decisions to make. and docs also often make mistakes when writing Rx or deciding what medications to Rx. The doctor has his education, and so does the pharm.....both go to school for a very long time, docs learn some things, pharms learn others. very often even docs ask pharmacists questions to gain input.
As for you getting an elderly mans medications- was the label on the Rx bottle your sons or the elderly mans? Who HANDED you that bottle? was it The Pharm or a tech or clerk?

Anytime we pick up medications, we also have to take some rsponsibility for checking the bottle, and while when we get a new Rx we might not have any clue what the medications we wanted look like, when we are picking up a refill, we should have a good idea what our medications will look like, and if they do not LOOK right- you SHOULD question it. No part of administering a medication to anyone for any reason should be handled lightly, or in a cavalier manner. Everyone every step of the way SHOULD treat it with the strict and careful attention it deserves. medications are very serious potentially harmful things.

Nope, I will not deny that some pharmacists can be rude. Many ARE rude. I will agree many are not good at their job, maybe by being less than careful, or by not haveig good people skills etc. I also have worked with many docs who have crummy people skills, are rude and have a crummy "bedside manner" I am only trying to point out that there might be valid legitimate reasons for some of the things a pharmacist says. And anytime we are utilyzing the services of a professional of any kind, what we are paying for IS their "professional OPINION" NOw, we DO have the choice of accepting their professional opinion. I also agree with that.

So yes, this pharmacist very well may have been rude simply to be rude. Or this pharmacist might just have crummy skills for dealing with things.

N

Nomad

I would speak with the manager. Unless they are total yahoos, they will know that this is inappropriate beahvior. In addition, if it is not out of your wayI would change drug stores. If you can not change pharmacies, the next time someone even starts to say something to you say "My doctor feels this prescription is appropriate. What is not appropriate is having to listen to comments from pharmacy personnel." Make sure you are firm, assertive, non aggressive and non emotional.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've never had any issues with our pharmacist or pharmacy tech. In fact, I had one tech pull me aside & whisper to me because of the medications & what it was generally used for. I appreciated his attention to my privacy.

Many times I hand in a slip of paper with my name, DOB, medications needing to be filled (prescription number) & any other pertinent information he may need to do his job.

My answer to questions of this nature - prescribed by doctor - call them with your concerns.