Oral surgery Mon.

TerryJ2

I have oral surgery Mon.
The kids don't have school. I'm going to make them wait on me all day. ;)
I'm having skin taken from the roof of my mouth, and grafted onto my right front gums, top and bottom. The gums have receded so the roots are exposed (ouch). It's a combo of heredity and too-aggressive brushing.
I will be on a liquid diet for a wk or so. Can't use a straw, either.
Not looking forward to this, but am tired of ouchie-teeth. :sick::tongue:
They will use a local anesthetic (several needle shots into the gums) and I will get a scrip for Tylenol # 3 filled today.

I had this done 17 yrs ago on the left side.

I am not allowed to exercise for 10 days, so I am hoping that the lack of solid food will offset the lack of exercise. :anxious:

Wish me luck! (I'll probably be spending more time here on the bb because talking with-that retainer on the roof of my mouth will not be easy.)

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. World's biggest wimp here. I couldn't even imagine that. I wish you well. It can't be fun.

Abbey

Andy

The kids better wait on you hand and foot for atleast a week. Sounds more like a TYLENOL 6 procedure to me.

I hope all goes well and your recovery is quick.

Nancy

Good luck Terry. husband had oral surgery last Monday. He had his gums cut away from a couple teeth because he needs a crown over his root canal and there isn't enough tooth to grab onto. Then on the other side he had a bone graft so they can do an implant. It wasn't fun and he's been on a liquid diet all week.

Just thinking about the roof of your mouth makes me hurt.

Nancy

TerryJ2

Tylenol 6 ? ROFL! I like the way you think!

So sorry about your husband Nancy. A bone graft sounds more painful.

I'm eating Trader Joe's chocolate caramels right now. Anxiety eating, I think ...

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry this is needed, but glad you have a dentist you seem to trust. I am TERRIFIED of dentists and cannot imagine having something like this done. I wish you a very speedy recovery!

TerryJ2

Thank you all, but I have to send out a request for healthy vibes --- I caught difficult child's cold.
How am I supposed to breathe through my nose when I'm congested, and my mouth is full of tools?

Arrrrgghhhhh !!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Terry

I have avoided this post........not because I don't care.......but because I have a hate/fear thing with dentist.:scared:

I wish you luck and send all the good vibes I can. Tyenol 3?? Their kidding right?? Please tell me their kidding. I wouldn't let him touch me unless I knew he'd give me something stronger if necessary.

My Mom had her whole mouth done. I have to take into consideration that she is a major wuss when it comes to pain. But she was in misery. I think she had some issues with healing or something.

Despite my hate/fear thing I've got to make an appointment soon. My mouth/teeth are a mess. :faint:

((hugs))

crazymama30

husband is having his tonsils out tommorrow, I would rather take care of you then him. Good luck, and I bet it will all be fine.

Bet you complain less than husband.:winks:

TerryJ2

Thanks Lisa.
I would never have my whole mouth done at once. You have to be able to chew on one side (much like the zipping-up-the-pants issue with-carpal tunnel :) ).

I'm a good healer so I'm not worried about that part.

CrazyMama, too bad you're so far away. I'd love to have someone take care of me. I am like a cat when I'm healing or sick. I just climb under the house and sleep until I'm better. Easy stuff. :)
husband is at the store now, stocking up on rice pudding for me. :)

F

flutterbee

They're going to do this with novacaine?!!! No way, no how, nuh uh. They'd have to put me out. I'm so hard to get numb and when I do, I metabolize it so fast that I'm thawing out before they're done working. My dentist is amazed every time. Yep, they'd put me out for sure.

When I had the heart cath's they told me they used as much sedation on me as they normally use on 3 people. :rofl: :bag:

My mouth is hurting in sympathy with yours. This does not sound fun at all.

And we'll overlook your goofy posts when your on your drugs. :D

Good luck.

Good luck Terry! I'll be thinking of you on Monday and sending many positive vibes!

difficult child had gum surgery week before last to lengthen a tooth for a crown. The periodontist gave us some Valium and 800mg Motrin to take an hour before the surgery. I think that this really, really helped. He wrote difficult child a script for Percocet, but difficult child didn't want or need it - and I'm very glad. He's still on soft foods, but the surgery went quite well.

The periodontist suggested that difficult child drink a milkshake after the surgery. But, if you can't use a straw that might be difficult .... maybe use a spoon? Dissolving stitches were used, so no stitch removal was needed. All in all, it wasn't too bad a procedure. (Except for the bill) Ouch!

TerryJ2

Yes, it will be Novacaine.
I hope it doesn't wear off b4 I run to Macy's to finish the paperwork for my new/old holiday decor job. I'm going to put a Tylenol 3 in my pocket and take it in the car so it hits me just as I walk in the house. :)

Thanks for overlooking my goofy posts. I thought they were always goofy. :)

Andy

A cold?!!???? Not good, not good at all!!! You may not be able to go through with this tomorrow. Be very honest with your dentist about the level of the cold. Let him know. If you can not breathe through your nose, you can not go through with this. Vicks vapor rub helps - get a small container and sniff away! Usually opens air passages.

Also, make sure that the pharmacy knows you need liquid Tylenol. I think Tylenol 3 is a liquid form but make sure it is. You should also see if the pharmacy can help get liquid Motrine since you can take that 1/2 way into a Tylenol dose. (Jr strength Motrine is 100 mg so you can double it for a 200 mg dose of adult strength (which I think you need 400 mg for a single dose?) if you are unable to get adult liquid Motrine)

Be very careful with that Tylenol dose in the car. If that hits sooner than you expect - OMG you may have a bigger problem than you want to deal with. Is there anyway at all you can get someone to drive you? Also, for oral surgery, most people will not be allowed to leave the facility without a driver. The doctor's office doesn't want to take the liability of knowing their patient drove home in case there is a problem on the road.

Some surgeries (even oral) you are not allowed to take medications (even over the counter) so long before the surgery. This is probably more for anethesia and not so much for novicane. However, if you are taking cold medications, let the dentist know before the surgery exactly what you have taken this weekend.

Water - drink lots of water - that will help in healing.