Osteo-arthritis anyone?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
This runs in my family on my mom's side. Her grandmother had it and she's got it in her hands and wrist mostly now.

Well now I think I'm developing it. I've got a swollen second knuckle in my right pinky that just won't go away. It's definitely got a bump in there compared to the left and it hurts to press on it and hurts to use it with any significant force (like lifting stuff or trying to open a jar). My younger two will be at day camp next week so I'm going to finally go in and have the GP check it out.

My first joint in left index finger sometimes bugs me, too.

Is there anything to keep it from getting worse or "spreading" to other joints? Or is this just something you live with?

JJJ

I have that. My doctor told me that I HAD TO lose weight if I didn't want it to get worse. I have now lost 4% of my body weight and I feel so much better already. I was taking Naproxen twice a day, every day but I have stopped as I'm not having the pain. It does hurt after I exercise so I take a Naproxen before I work out to try and minimize it.

I'm glad you're able to get in to see your GP next week. I hope you get relief soon.

F

flutterbee

My mom has it in her hands and she keeps having to buy her rings in a larger size just to get them over her knuckles - then they're too big and flop around her finger. This really stinks for someone who is a jewelry fanatic. She says that when the knuckle is 'growing' it tends to be sore, but then it stops.

I think treatment is primarily NSAIDS and short term steroids if needed. If the weight bearing joints get to be very bad, they look at joint replacement but I don't think that's something you have to think about if it's only affecting your hands. My mom only has it in her hands - nowhere else. You may eventually get to the point where you need devices to help you with things such as opening jars, etc.

You should definitely see your GP and they should rule out rheumatoid arthritis as well.

KTMom91

My mother has it as well, in her hands and wrists. I have it in my knees, which aggravates the other damage and causes more pain. I know I need to lose weight, and that will help, but right now I hurt too badly to go back to the gym.

trinityroyal

My husband has osteo-arthritis, in both knees, one shoulder and his thumbs.
The things that have worked well for him are:

- cortisone shots and physiotherapy exercises for the shoulder
- chiropractic treatment for the thumbs (I have the same treatment for repetitive-strain injuries to the thumbs and it works like a treat!)
- arthroscopic surgery for one knee, and physiotherapy exercises for both knees
- significant weight loss. This is the biggest factor for husband. He has been on a medically supervised diet for the past several months (and on the Glycemic Index program before that) He has lost about 185 lbs in total so far, which has made a huge difference in his mobility and a corresponding decrease in his joint pain.

Hope this helps. Glad to hear that you're getting in to see your GP soon.

Trinity

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Trinity, how does chiropractic treatment help his thumbs? I'm afraind I'd be in even more pain if anyone tried to touch this finger...

trinityroyal

The chiropractor does an adjustment to the base of each of husband's thumbs.
husband's pain is at the point where the base of the thumb meets his wrist.

I'm not sure exactly what the adjustment is called, but it seems to work wonders for him. It works equally well with my carpal tunnel and other RSIs.

Next time I go in, I will ask the chiro what he's doing and whether there's a name for the adjustment.

Trinity

DammitJanet

I have osteo from my spine down. Its also started invading my ribcage and my hands now. Nasty fellow. I have had arthroscopic surgeries on both knees and it helped for a short while. Now Im walking on bone on bone. I did have the gel stuff injected in my knees which helped for a little while too.

I havent had as much luck with the NSAIDS as other folks. At least not with the larger joints. Im sure if I could lose massive amounts of weight it would help.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I guess I should be happy I'm not having issues in any weight-bearing joints -- yet! ALthough in the last year or so I've noticed stiffness in my hips after sitting for any extended period of time, like a long car ride. And I can't cross my left leg as easily as my right... but I just figured this was due to lack of exercise and being about 60 pounds overweight! I sure hope it's not the beginnings of degenerative disease...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Another OA here. Tho mine was artificially created. I had a slight knee injury that just never would go away, so they finally did surgery and discovered I had torn a huge portion of cartilage off the weight-bearing surface of my femur. It was not totally dislodged and free floating, but was long since dead, so they went ahead and removed it, so I'm bone on bone in my right knee. However, my dad and brother both had/have degenerative arthritis, and my surgeon said I will end up with same.

For knees, steroids and NSAIDS, as well as PT and they are coming up with some fluid enhancers/replacements that are very helpful. My dad and ex-mother in law got a lot of relief from Synvisc injections. There are also some places that are successfully transplanting cartilage. Not familiar with options for other joints, but I'm sure there are similar treatments for them, too.

TerryJ2

Very funny, Marg. :)

Chiro viewpoint: you want to keep the joints moving. Always keep moving. Do not let things stiffen up. That's the layman's explanation. If you want my husband's official opinion, he'll talk about synovial fluid and such ... :)

Yes, glucosamine does work. We take it every day. I wasn't sure it really worked when I heard about it yrs ago, so I bought some and experimented on my dogs. I had Borzoi, and they loved to run, but as they got older, they got stiff necks (they'd wake up in the a.m. with-crooked necks, and yelp when they'd try to stand or look around). The female also got arthritis in her lower spine and hips and it would take her a full min. to stand or lie down, as opposed to just plopping down like she always did.
After just a few days of supplements, she was leaping up from a down position just like she was a puppy. I was amazed.
So I bought the stuff in human form. Howzat for a testimonial? :)

Marguerite

My GP wanted to see copies of any recent x-rays, MRIs etc (she's only been my GP this year) so I dug them out today for her. Of course I read the reports. Would you believe - I was sent for them because of the symptoms of osteoarthritis, doctors just wanted to know how bad it was, but results said osteoarthritis was minimal.

So it shouldn't be causing this much pain.

Does this mean when I get osteoarthritis, in spades, on top of whatever-this-is, I'll REALLY be in pain?

I can't wait. Oh, joy. Oh, bliss. Maybe I should shoot myself now?

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My dad took the chondroiton/glucosamin and got some releif from it. His knees were VERY bad, tho, so it was amazing he got any releif from anything.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Shari, that's good to know. My GP said to use that supplement as well, and apparently studies have proven it to be an effective treatment.