Out of district placement - Questions

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by jal, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jal

jal Member

My difficult child has been granted out of district placement into a program for children with social/emotional/behavioral issues. husband and I are going to visit the program tomorrow. (I have questions), but am wondering from the board what other questions might you ask about the program?

2. nvts

nvts Active Member

Busing is a major. Make sure that there are time limits included on his IEP so that he doesn't end up driving all over East OshKosh for 2 hours at the beginning and end of the day.

Disciplinary Codes: do they restrain children? If so, how?

Postive reinforcement programs: do they have them? How do they work? Do they earn points for a reward at the end of the day, week, month?

Those are the biggies for me! Enjoy the school!

Beth

3. jal

jal Member

I do know that he would be picked up at 8:15 and the school starts @ 9 so it is not much longer than his regular route now.

Thank you for the other ideas!

4. Christy

Christy New Member

I would make certain that they have an appropriate academic plan as well as a behavioral plan. Sometimes programs that focus on behavior set the bar too low academically.

Good Luck!
    Christy

5. jal

jal Member

Christy - That is exactly what I am worried about. I don't want him sitting in the classroom not learning anything. He is very bright and smart and capable.