Out of district placement - Questions

jal

My difficult child has been granted out of district placement into a program for children with social/emotional/behavioral issues. husband and I are going to visit the program tomorrow. (I have questions), but am wondering from the board what other questions might you ask about the program?

nvts

Busing is a major. Make sure that there are time limits included on his IEP so that he doesn't end up driving all over East OshKosh for 2 hours at the beginning and end of the day.

Disciplinary Codes: do they restrain children? If so, how?

Postive reinforcement programs: do they have them? How do they work? Do they earn points for a reward at the end of the day, week, month?

Those are the biggies for me! Enjoy the school!

Beth

jal

I do know that he would be picked up at 8:15 and the school starts @ 9 so it is not much longer than his regular route now.

Thank you for the other ideas!

Christy

I would make certain that they have an appropriate academic plan as well as a behavioral plan. Sometimes programs that focus on behavior set the bar too low academically.

Good Luck!
Christy

jal

Christy - That is exactly what I am worried about. I don't want him sitting in the classroom not learning anything. He is very bright and smart and capable.