Out of patience

somewhat lost

Hello. Im new to the community, but was relieved to find this site. My daughter is 15 and has no respect for me whatsoever. Her sense of self entitlement is out of control. When she doesnt get her way she calls me names, cusses at me, and goes as far to lecture me about my childish ways and how life is about doing what you dont want to do sometimes. She is selfish beyond anything I have ever witnessed. Im embarrassed to go anywhere with her because I never know what might set her off. She has no problem yelling at me or throwing her finger up in my face. Its embarrassing. Shes a bully to people I know she cares about in order to get her way, but points a finger and is so confused when they return the attitude. I feel like its my fault and some of my friends wont even speak to me at times because she embarrases them too in the way she talks to me. Her Dad isnt around much and she uses this to put blame on me. She is sensitive to certain clothing and chewing noises. I dont know if that means anything but I read alot about Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) through older posts and it sounds just like her. I would love to feedback from anyone who relates or has dealt with a similar situation as I just feel so lost at times. She can be the swwetest kid, but you never know when her attitude will change.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Welcome...the stress you are living with is felt. I have no experience with this but there are many wise people here that do.

Has she ever been diagnosed with any mental illness? Do you believe she may be using drugs?

Whatever the reason you shouldn't be disrespected in any fashion.

Stay strong...you will get more responses.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Somewhat

I agree with Mof. You should not allow this. Take away her phone and other luxuries YOU provide.

I'd ground her until she can learn to treat you with respect. If you don't nip it in the bud now, it will get much worse.

somewhat lost

She has never been diagnosed with anything, but I have never really discussed it with anyone. I don't think she is using drugs. I've tried to make her comfortable enough to understand that our home is a safe place and always open for any discussion. She does talk to me about friends that try drugs and she has even told their parents in trying to help them stay away from that kind of stuff. She is very involved with sports, makes close to straight A's if not straight A's, so she is a good kid for the most part. Its just her bad attitude and disrespect that is a problem. Perhaps it is simply that I need to be more strict on her. I have taken things away, but maybe I need to do so for a longer period of time or take everything she enjoys when it happens again. I appreciate the feedback. It's nice to hear from other parents and know there is a place to go for another an outside perspective. Thank you!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
She is at the age when they test boundaries.

My son went off the deep end at 15 and we have not yet been able to reel him in. Not that I am in any way suggesting that is your situation but I think 15 is such a critical age. I wish I had been more strict then but it may not have made a difference.

Our older two successful and had it harder since they were divorces involved. The son that had it the easiest turned out the worst (so far).

I just heard on the radio yesterday that girls that have strict mothers turn out to be the most successful! I have boys but all my close friends have girls. This says something I think!

somewhat lost

I wish I would have been more strict when she was younger. Her Dad isn't really involved in her life, so I drive myself crazy to pick up the slack where there should be two parents. That is certainly no excuse, but I tried wanted her life to not be affected by the fact that she has one parent and sometimes let her get away with things or spoiled her. Makes me think about what you said about the easiest is the worst... I have made it pretty easy for her and sometimes thought I was making it easier on myself, but that is not the case. Thanks again for the advice! Truly appreciate it.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
We all do the best we can with what we have at the time.

We are all learning that change is never too late.

Hugs