Out patient rehab failed---waiting for a bed in residential treatment center

Fran

Former desparate mom
My only thought is if you wait until she learns how to live on her own, you will be waiting a long time. It's better to teach them when they are in their own place and have to fend for themselves. The lessons are more meaningful. in my humble opinion.
My difficult child is heading back out to Texas and his own apt. This time, I won't be living 2 miles away. He will have back up for emergencies with my sister but he will have to actually do what I am teaching. I hope it will make more of a difference. If all goes well, he will be staying there for as long as he can.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The silver lining here is that husband and I were suppose to go to Vegan for my bd ...

Hmmm, going to uber vegetarian...that's an interesting choice for celebrating one's milestone birthday... Most people have cake and ice cream. Maybe a male stripper if you really want to go wild.

On a more serious note, I'm really sorry for all the crap she's put you through and can't seem to STOP putting you through. You DO need a break. And hey, if carrot sticks and broccoli are your thing, go for it.

Ephchap

OMG, Nancy, I've been away getting easy child packed and moved and ready for her wedding. I'm sooo sorry to hear about difficult child and all things that have been going on. When I read about them referring her to outpatient, I thought, "Oh no !!! She needs more than that" Unfortunately, as I read on, I realized that my gut feeling was right and it didn't work out.

Inpatient for however long you can keep her there will at least help to get her away from what she's been doing and hopefully teach her coping tools to use. Addicts/alcoholics won't stop until they are ready, but as you and I both know - sometimes they have to be "nudged".

I'm sending all the good thoughts and body crossing I can do your way that things work out. I've unfortunately been through this more times than I ever wanted to, and am here if you need a shoulder or someone to talk to about it. Meanwhile ... absolutely, positively enjoy your birthday getaway !!!!!

Hugs,
Deb

N

Nomad

I'm on vacation FAR FAR away and stopped by to check on you. Reading fast...my apologies if I missed things. I too am sorry it didn't work out...but glad that she is going to in patient (at least for the month). I do wish it could be for longer.
by the way...that IS interesting about the therapist calling 'birthmom' the 'mom.' Hmmmmm
When husband and I went to FA, we met a mom whose adult daughter had an addiction problem (and was dual diagnosis) and went to residential tx (not sure how long...I think one or two months), got out, went to regular counseling, stayed on her medication and did very well.
Others in the group talked about their child needing to go back to day tx several times before it "stuck." But there were several success stories.
My heart goes out to you and husband.
You are so strong....sending good thoughts and prayers.
Saw something quick....sooooo glad you are going to Vegas for your BD! Awesome!!!!
Please make it extra special!:D

Last edited: