Oven baked turkey rice recipe?

Mattsmom277

Does anyone have an easy recipe for making a rice dish in the oven (made in a roast pan)?
I have leftover turkey coming out of my ears from Thanksgiving this past weekend. I've already made a oversize pot of turkey soup. We've had a leftovers dinner. I can always freeze the remaining turkey, but I'm craving oven rice!

I remember my ex made one that was super simple but I forget how he did it, what went in it, etc. I tried searching online but all the recipes tend to have a cheese topping or other things that don't appeal. I remember the rice my ex made was sort of like a fried rice from a chinese restaurant.

Please share if you have a delicious recipe!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If you have the actual turkey broth from the carcass, you could pick off the leftover meat, put it to one side.

Get some short grain (preferably Arborio) rice and use the turkey broth to follow the instructions for making a basic risotto.

Saute the turkey scraps with a small amt of bacon or shredded ham and crumble the smoked pork. Add some garlic and some olive oil to the mix. Once the bacon is crispy and the garlic just starting to color, mix all together and mince with some mushrooms. Mix in little by little as the risotto starts to thicken and become 'bound' (making risotto or polenta redefines 'stir crazy')

Serve with good parmesan cheese to top with, and a nice salad on the side. You get a good meal for very little money.

Properly made risotto is called a'la 'onde' meaning 'wavy'. The grains of rice are distinct and have a distinct individual texture but at the same time they extrude starch that binds the whole mass.

This is why you have to use (at worst) short grain rice to make the dish. Arborio rice is grown specifically for dishes like risotto and is well worth the extra cost

Fran

Former desparate mom
Betty Crocker has a recipe called Chicken Rice casserole. I substitute with turkey. I have made it every year the day after Thanksgiving with Turkey Pot Pie.
I'm sure you can look it up. I don't add the green peppers or pimento because I'm not partial to those flavors.
They are both big hits. If I get a chance I will type it up if you can't find it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Chicken and turkey are interchangeable in general when it comes to cooking recipes. There are differences in the original cooking instructions, but once you get to the point of measuring out so many cups of one or the other, there is no difference at all.

Where you run into problems is if you try to substitute waterfowl like geese or ducks for chicken or turkey. You have to do a lot of juggling to get fat content and stuff right.

Hey, Fran? You're of Italian extraction. Do you have a better explanation of how to make risotto? I had someone show me how to make a base recipe and I sort of wing it from there.

Fran

Former desparate mom
GN, what do you mean " a better explanation"? My inlaws make it in a slow cooker with good results. I think it's too labor intensive made the regular way.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I was going to exchange the same type of recipe as Fran....I make chicken & rice a couple times a month during the winter. Find a recipe you like & substitute.

DDD

I have it at home. It's on the Campbell's soup web page, I think. All I know is that you use poultry, long grain rice, leftover veg. if you have them, a can of soup and grated cheese on top. It's a no brainer. You pour the rice in the bottom of the dish, toss in some leftover veg, place mean on top and then put a layer of cheese. It bakes itself. husband and easy child/difficult child love it. Good luck. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Fran, yeah...standing by the stove and stirring in the broth little by little is a bit labor-intensive.

I still think risotto is less of a pain to make than polenta. I LOVE polenta, especially when sliced and the slices fried to crispy in a little olive oil. You can then top them with various sauces or meats (the polenta soaks up the meat juices--delicious)

Grocery stores in some areas now carry fresh polenta in the produce department. It comes in little tubes all ready to slice and use. It's a lot easier to prepare, but it is very expensive for what is basically coarse ground yellow corn grits and water.

You're basically paying someone else to do all the stirring for you, LoL