Oven HELP!

DDD

I just discovered what my husband meant when he said "I messed up the oven
the other night."

He put a plastic container in the oven and turned on the heat. I have melted plastic on the rungs and on the oven floor. I didn't realize it so I did a preheat and smelled noxious fumes. Yikes. If I'm dead and don't know it ;)....it's been a pleasure knowing you guys! :sick:

So, I turned off the oven. Used the bbq spatula and scraped up gobs of melted black plastic. Tried to scrape off the rungs. I now have some plastic adhering to the rungs and a film of black plastic on the bottom.
WTH do I do now.

I'm going to work. Bummer! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think I would call an appliance repairman.

My thought was so pick off as much as you could and then let the rest burn off with the windows and doors open - but thinking about noxious fumes.......

Maybe a repair guy will have better answers or maybe a spray of some sort or maybe he can come take the elements out or you take them out and take them to him?

I dont' think I'd burn it off though -

Sooooooo anyway -
Oh yeah BRAVO husband - BRAVO - (snort)
groan

K

Kjs

I know the heating coils and racks can be replaced. If I remember from my parents oven (mine is gas) and this is many years ago...I think it just pulls out and plugs in.

Have no idea about the bottom of the oven. What about taking the coils onthe bottom out. Putting on the upper coils and heating the oven a bit. Then when the plastic becomes soft, scoop it out.
When you get down to just the film, how about doing like you would removing candle wax. Paper and an iron.

OR - just call a repair person.

4sumrzn

been there done that. We used to hide everything from difficult child & if it didn't fit in cabinets to lock...we would sneak it in the oven every once in awhile. Well.....we forgot to put the note on the oven saying that something was in the oven. It got turned on.....Tupperware cake container & most of the cake ALL over the oven. Never could get the plastic off of the top rack....to the trash it went. Got lucky as far as the bottom goes...had one of those disposable flat liners. We ended up letting everything else burn off......windows open, fans going & we spent most of the day out side. No fun.

DDD

Thanks. I called the appliance place and the owner told me "Uh" "Hmmm"
"Well" :D Then he finally said "if I were you and I had already scrapped off all the big pieces...I'd open the windows and set the oven to clean itself" and "hope that the end of it will turn to dust".

That's the plan. I am going to open the window, set the oven on cleanand then ;) I'm going to work. When I get home I assume there will be no fumes and hopefully it will be self'cleaned. I'll let you know. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Is it just on the oven racks and on the floor above the heating element, or is it on the heating element also?

The racks can be taken out and then you can work at picking off the plastic when it is cold. Or maybe use a heat gun to warm the plastic a LITTLE so it is more pliable.

If it is on the bottom of the oven, the floor above the heat coil, that can usually be replace quite easily. Or you can take it out and scrape it off also.

If it is on the heating element I would replace it. They are very easy to replace but I don't know how expensive they are. If you have a time when NO ONE is going to be home, and you have a self cleaning oven, you might try opening up the house and running that AFTER you have removed all the plastic you can.

Sorry. This sounds like a mess.