ovens

Lothlorien

I'm desperately wanting a new range. I currently have an old electric range, that's small on the inside, plus those horrid coil burners. I HATE them. We moved from a house that we put all brand new beautiful appliances in to this house, which is a new house with older appliances. Go figure!

Anyway, I don't want to spend thousands on an oven, but I was looking at those dual oven ranges. The ones where the top is smaller than the larger one and you can cook two different things at two different temps at once. This one that I'm salivating over has that plus 5 burners. The small burner is in the middle.

Anyone have any input on these range ovens?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If it's a range with an oven above and below, just make sure there's enough clearance for your largest pot (like a stock pot). I had one of those types (but it was circa 1985) and it was a royal pain to use anything higher than a saucepan on it. The dual oven part was awesome, especially when I had to cook for a crowd.

I ended up dumping it two years ago and got a new GE gas oven range with five burners. LOVE it! We put a microwave up above where the upper oven used to be and it's working out just fine.

I don't know anything about the newer double oven/range units. Didn't realize they still made them!

But how fun! I love getting new appliances! (Even if it is once every 10 years!)

susiestar

Roll With It
When we moved into our home a few years ago I had an allowance from the builder to pick out a stove. I got a pretty basic one (had to be electric because we have no gas anything out here in the country) with a big oven. I went for the biggest oven I could find. I now wish I had a second oven, a smaller one. I haven't researched them, but I DO have one word of advice.

When they install it be SURE that it has all the heating elements that it is supposed to. My brand new oven came without one of the 2 heating elements!! The store had pulled the element out to replace a defective one that a customer complained about. Took 2 service calls to get this fixed - one for the guy to say hey you are missing an element, did you take it out? And another one (3 weeks later) to have the guy spend exactly 40 seconds installing the element.

Lothlorien

There is one that I'm salivating over.

I'm pretty sure I could fit a turkey in the bottom oven, but I'll take my BRAND NEW, NEVER USED roasting pan with me to make sure it fits. I could fit it in my current oven, but then I can't put the stuffing in, so I end up using an aluminum roasting pan, so I can bend the heck out of it so I can fit my stuffing. With the oven above, I could put the stuffing in the top oven and then can even put the bisquits in there! I would love to be able to cook at two different temps.

For daily cooking, I would probably find myself using the top oven, which would use less gas, therefore saving us some moula. :money:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Other than I want one too, no. What I'd really REALLY love is one of those ovens that are installed in the wall PLUS a range below it. I love the idea of two ovens, especially around the holidays when I'm baking up a storm.

I hope you get the one of your dreams.

SRL

FWIW, both the appliance repairman that we've used for years and one who was doing a one time visit to repair a newly installed fridge both recommend Whirlpool for reliability.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
I got an oven just like that last year, only it's a Maytag. I absolutley LOVE it!:bow:

You'll notice that the bottom oven goes all the way to the floor - there's no drawer or broiler below - so yes, the bottom oven is a standard sized oven. The upper oven is more like an extra-large toaster oven. It heats up super quick, and is perfect for most of what I cook for husband and myself.

In mine, the bottom oven is convection. It's perfect for baking three sheets of cookies at once, or cooking multiple things for holiday dinners (everything in the oven cooks evenly).

Go for it - you deserve it;) If I had to move next week, I'd go buy a new, cheaper range and take mine with me! Yes, I love it that much. :thumbsup:

Genny

witzend

I just bought a range, and got it for significantly less than what their list price is. It isn't a dual range, but it is sleek and the burners heat up really nicely.

I do like the oven, even though I have never figured out how to use a convection oven...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
In the house we are renting, it has an Electric Induction Cooktop... I had never used on before and thought I would never, ever be swayed from Gas!!! I love it!!!

If you don't have room or money for 2 ovens... which most don't, this is the way to go!!! If you will use it. My mother in law has 2 ovens and 2 ranges and when I am there cooking, I use them ALL!!!