Over 30 and dating in the digital age. Is it really that hard?

BusynMember

my son is actually having a lot of luck on Match as far as meeting women. I don't see him as struggling anymore than those who aren't on online dating. Seems like everyone who is single that I know is struggling in their quest to meet somebody special. It is much easier when you are young and in college. Work is iffy with many companies not even allowing dating, although I'm sure many people break that rule. But many work places don't offer a variety of people. As for friends and family, when you are old they are less apt to know people who aren't already attached or interested in being fixed up. And what if, like me, you have a very small family? We aren't the only small family in the world. Not everyone has a huge social network either and even those I know that do are not getting too many fix ups.

There are good and bad people everywhere, agree. The last place I'd want to meet somebody though is at a bar! I'm surprised so many here think that's a normal way to meet. Half the time, you and the guy you meet aren't even sober (this from a few who do go to bars whom I know). I'd prefer the internet, although it certainly doesn't sound very inviting to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

witzend

Thanks, DDD!

MWM, I met husband in a bar even though he was a tea-totaller. It was where we hung out after soccer games, which were cheap entertainment. The only crazy bars I hung out in when I was young was the best gay disco in town. Obviously, I didn't pick up any dates there... ;)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
The boyfriend before my current SO I met through online gaming. We had a long-distance relationship, and we're still friends, but the distance was too much and our lives wouldn't mesh well. My current SO I originally met at work, but later ran into at a bar and got to know him better after that as a friend. He got divorced last year and we happened.

I have a friend that met his fiancee on plentyoffish.com. They lived together for years and he recently popped the question.

But I do agree that 35 really isn't ready for a relationship yet. He needs to work on him before he can work on a relationship. If he wants to get out and try to meet people, he needs to try things that he's interested in that will bring him in contact with people that have the same interests. Concerts, a college class, local art or cooking classes, going to the gym, church, etc.