Overdue update....

toughlovin

Hi Everyone,

Well it is has been a long couple of weeks with much angst..... My son spent 2 weeks in the psychiatric unit because of suicidality.... and they did get him on medications which I think helped stabalize him all which is good. My difficult child may not recognize the seriousness of his substance abuse, in fact I still think he is in denial about that BUT he does want help for his mental health issues and does seem to recognize that which is good.

The problem has been that they have not been able to find a program fror him that will take him. He needs a dual diagnosis program and there are no beds available in the programs acceptable to probation.

So in the end they could not find him a bed and so they released him to the police who took him on a warrant that probation had put on him because he had not properly notified him of where he was (which was partly just plain old miscommunication and geez he was in a psychiatric unit!). I am pretty furstrated.

So he is now back in jail waiting for a placement.... and I kind of freaked out because they were going to send him to jail but it wasnt at all clear they were going to make sure he got his medications.

Lucky for him I have some really good connections through my job and I called them in and ended up talking to the superintendant of the prison who and sent him the prescriptions and so he did get on his medications and is being held at least for now in the infirmary.... but that would not have happened if I had not made some phone calls to some people I know!! The medication issue would have completely fallen through the cracks. Our mental health ysstem is so broken really!!!

So I went to court today andhe is being held until Wed until drug court. The good thing is that everyone does seem to agree he needs dual diagnosis treatment so lets hope they find hat for him somehow.

The whole thing has been incredibley stressful and worrisome.... and in the meantime the friend who helped my son out in CA died which is very very upsetting.

So I have been reading but kind of just wallowing a bit and playing ocomputer games and not getting much else done.

TL

Nancy

Goodness TL what an upset about your friend. Did youknow she was ill? I'm very sorry.

I know all about how jails don't care about providing their clients with their medications. We have had several tragic cases in our city because of it. Even lawyers have a very difficult time getting the jails to see that they get their medications. I'm glad you had a connection to make sure it happened. You must be exhausted. It's so difficult to get the proper treatment for mental issues. I hope they find a program for him.

toughlovin

It was the friend who ran the sober house my son was in!! You know my angel there for awhile! I had to tell my son on the day he figured he was going back to jail.... he was so upset.

And I am totally disgusted with our mental health/criminal justice system. I was horrified to think my son could be in a psychiatric hospital for 2 weeks due to suicidality, and then that he could be sent back to jail without the proper medications. How crazy is that? I dont know if my son appreciates how lucky he is to have a mother who will advocate for him and make sure he got those medications.

TL

InsaneCdn

I dont know if my son appreciates how lucky he is to have a mother who will advocate for him and make sure he got those medications.
Probably not... right now. That will come later. For now, it's about survival.

Most kids this age haven't gotten the "appreciation" bug yet.

Kathy813

Staff member
TL, your son is truly lucky to have you for his mom. I'm so glad you were able to make sure that he got his medications. You are so right about our mental health system being messed up. Think of how many less people would be in jail today if their mental health needs were being met. It is so sad.

~Kathy

PatriotsGirl

Thank you for the update!! I am so sorry to hear about your friend!! Sounds like it was sudden. :(

I get very frustrated with our system, too. My grandson is due any time now (due date is in three weeks!) and I am still waiting for answers on certain things. Thank goodness for warrior moms!!!

lovemysons

TL,
I am really pleased to hear that your son is receptive to taking medication for his MH issues. That right there may have an effect on his urges/desire not to use...I hope so.

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend from Sober House in Ca. I know what a special person they were to you and son.

You ARE an angel for being so involved in helping your son get treatment now. I truly hope he is on the road to recovery...taking medications is a start! I wish my son would give medications another chance.

Hugs and love,
LMS

Calamity Jane

TL,
You are an amazing Mom - thank goodness you had some connections and were able to advocate successfully. I'm so very, very sorry about your friend. That sounds like it was quite a shock. Again, I'm so sorry.