Overtreated: More Medical Care Isn't Always Better

Discussion in 'Parenting News' started by SRL, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SRL

SRL Active Member

2. slsh

slsh member since 1999

Interesting article.

I've been saying "no" to MRI/CT scans for Boo for several years now. Every time he has a seizure, ER doctors want to scan his head (again). The kid has already got the most well-mapped brain in IL, LOL. Thankfully, his neuro backs me up on this, but it sure does tick some ER doctors off when I refuse. I actually had one tell me they had to rule out a brain tumor! I told him to get the neuro on the phone and I'd discuss it with *him*.

I think some of the testing is CYA on the parts of doctors and hospitals.
  3. SRL

SRL Active Member

If my allergist really wanted to CYA, then she'd be in the office more. :confused: In her case, I think it's as much money as that.

I have only seen the nurse practitioner for appointments for a number of years, and even though I go for shots every 2 weeks I haven't seen her in the building maybe 1-2 times in the past year. Every appointment they want to do a pulmunary function test, even when I have used my asthma medications maybe once or twice since they saw me last. I'd leave if I had pressing medical issues but it's all routine stuff now and it's not worth the hassle.