Overtreated: More Medical Care Isn't Always Better

slsh

member since 1999
Interesting article.

I've been saying "no" to MRI/CT scans for Boo for several years now. Every time he has a seizure, ER doctors want to scan his head (again). The kid has already got the most well-mapped brain in IL, LOL. Thankfully, his neuro backs me up on this, but it sure does tick some ER doctors off when I refuse. I actually had one tell me they had to rule out a brain tumor! I told him to get the neuro on the phone and I'd discuss it with *him*.

I think some of the testing is CYA on the parts of doctors and hospitals.

SRL

Interesting article.

I've been saying "no" to MRI/CT scans for Boo for several years now. Every time he has a seizure, ER doctors want to scan his head (again). The kid has already got the most well-mapped brain in IL, LOL. Thankfully, his neuro backs me up on this, but it sure does tick some ER doctors off when I refuse. I actually had one tell me they had to rule out a brain tumor! I told him to get the neuro on the phone and I'd discuss it with *him*.

I think some of the testing is CYA on the parts of doctors and hospitals.

If my allergist really wanted to CYA, then she'd be in the office more. :confused: In her case, I think it's as much money as that.

I have only seen the nurse practitioner for appointments for a number of years, and even though I go for shots every 2 weeks I haven't seen her in the building maybe 1-2 times in the past year. Every appointment they want to do a pulmunary function test, even when I have used my asthma medications maybe once or twice since they saw me last. I'd leave if I had pressing medical issues but it's all routine stuff now and it's not worth the hassle.