Overweight kids

muttmeister

I had to laugh about the watch thing. At my house, older difficult child would have taken it apart to see how it worked and then left the pieces behind. Younger difficult child would have sold it or traded it to somebody. There is no way in hades that either one of my kids would have paid attention to a watch to tell them when to get home. Maybe it would work for some, but not for mine.

DammitJanet

I love Super Nanny...lol. I get so many good ideas for dealing with Keyana from that show. Of course, I dont think there is an easier child to raise than Keyana. Or maybe I am just better at it the second time around. I sure wish the Nanny shows had been around when my kids were growing up because I would have begged them to come to my house back then. Any help would have been appreciated.

As far as the food thing and Dr Phil...I saw that show and I have seen others like it. I am very overweight myself and I didnt have obese toddlers. I dont understand how you do that to young kids. Now by the time kids get to be teens...well...they have minds of their own and you really dont have much control over what they are going to eat. My three kids came in three sizes. Billy is obese like me. He is the couch potato who never got out of the house. We couldnt get him outside with a cattle prod. He was a bookworm and a video game nut. Jamie was rail thin and hyper as hell. He cried when he hit 100 pounds. He was always in the slim sizes but the lengths were so hard to find cause he was so tall. Cory was also thin but he could wear normal sizes or sometimes Jamies slim handmedowns. I was always afraid people would think I wasnt feeding Jamie and Cory...lol...but those two would wake up in the mornings and go outside and not come back in until dark. They were constantly running and playing.

Keyana takes after her daddy in looks and body type. She is slim and wiry. She eats anything not nailed down but she burns it off.

klmno

I like watching her sometimes, too, but there are many times that I think the problem is not going to get solved by her. LOL!! That girl last night- well, I thought she was a difficult child and that family needed a lot more than a temp nanny. And I would have gotten a real kick out of what suggestions she might have had for my son after he became a difficult child. Now, toddlers that are difficult- I can see her being helpful thru the terrible 2's.

Weight- oh gosh, difficult child started eating me out of house & home about 11 or 12 yo. He gained even more weight after being put on MS's. And he eats healthy foods so I don't keep ALL stuff out of the house that isn't healthy. For instance, I'll buy a pack of cookies about once a month. I keep yogurt and fruit weekly. I wouldn't let him have more than one soda a day and mostly got difficult child ginger ale or diet sodas. He just would go in phases (related to amount of stability) where he would eat and eat. Of course, I did finally realize that my occassional southern meals were contributing a lot once he got to the age where he wanted seconds for dinner almost every night. LOL! Do you think your health problems and medications might be contributing to your weight too, Janet?

DammitJanet

K....I started putting on weight after I was raped. I know it psychological at that point. It didnt help that I got pregnant two months after the rape. I went into being pregnant at about 125-130 and came out at about 180. I lost maybe 10 pound of that and no more. I stayed between 170 and 190 up until I had Jamie 3 years after Billy. I got up to about 205 with Jamie but I lost back down to about 185/190 with him. When I had Cory I was about 205 when I delivered him but slowly over time I just kept gaining.

We ate bad food but it was cheap. We ate a ton of spaghetti, lots of rice and beans and potatoes. We ate loads and loads of fried fish because Tony caught it and it was free. Lots of dinners were Mac and cheese and hot dogs. Sometimes those frozen salisbury steaks that used to be 2 for 3 bucks and they had 6 patties in them. If you really caught them on special they were 2 for 2 bucks...oh boy...stock up!

No wonder I am fat...lol.

Now some of it is due to my medications. I really attempt to get weight neutral medications but some just cant be helped. We have to hope the topamax helps but nowhere near what it did in the beginning.

klmno

It sounds like you've got a great understanding about how several things played into the weight gain. My mom was raised in dire poverty and my ex-H (short-lived so I never mention him) was, too, so I know exactly what you mean about the food. I will say though- it tastes pretty good!! difficult child and I both still love fried fish and other fried foods. That's what I needed to keep to a minimum- along with letting him get chicken wings once I ssaw how many calories are in them. It's so hard to lose weight once it is put on. I put on about just under 50 lbs carrying difficult child and I will never lose the final "pudge" of it. difficult child is overweight but I don't know if he'll ever be slim again if he doesn't get off MS's. If they feed healthy foods in Department of Juvenile Justice he might grow tall enough to even it out while he's in there. He's 14yo, 5'-7", and weighs about 185 lbs.

Now me- after my "violation", I self-destructed in other ways until I got help.

Last edited:

Marguerite

A big problem with fried fish, is not just the oil but the batter. it's loaded with carbs and it soaks up the fat.

husband cooks fish for me (or I cook it myself) by using a non-stick pan and a thin smear of butter (which is fabulous for flavour, you really don't need the fish sitting in a puddle of it). Cook the skin side down first, leave it there until you see the fish go opaque for more than half its thickness, then turn it over. Serve it straight onto a plate and eat immediately - better than anything else. Not only is it easier (no fussing about batter or crumbs) but it tastes better, plus it's healthiest.

Or if you really want no-fat 9with only slightly more fuss) you can make fish parcels. I get a square of aluminium foil, put some slices of fresh ginger root in the foil, a couple of thin slices of onion, put the fish in the parcel, splash in a teaspoon of teriyaki sauce, drop on a couple more slices of ginger and onion, fold up the parcel carefully so it won't leak, then bake in the oven (or on a barbecue) until the fish is cooked. If you need to open the parcel to check, do it carefully to void a steam burn. Again, tastes fabulous, is very healthy and it's easy. It takes less watching than cooking in a pan and I use the free time to make a quick salad.

Janet, I sympathise about the weight and medical conditions adding to the problems. All you can do is the best you can do; don't beat yourself up over what you CAN'T change.

And poverty food - it's known to make it much harder to keep your weight down, because carbs and ft are cheap calories. If you look around at the fast food available to you in your area, and analyse it - you will find the unhealthiest is also the cheapest, as a rule. Even the more expensive though, is often still not good for you. It might be OK for young adults who are fit and active enough to burn off the extra calories, but for those of us who can't exercise, or who are on medications which make us hungry or pile on fluid, fast food of any kind is a nasty trap. Similarly, the sort of food we can afford, is likely to have lots of hidden fat & carbs in it, simple carbs too and not the healthier wholegrain ones.

We are surrounded by easy calories in a world where we don't have to go out and dig for it or hunt for it. We have more calories within our collective reach than we can safely consume, while half the world starves. The expectation of wide choice range means our western countries produce more food than we can consume, with the associated environmental/energy costs of the production, the transport, the waste disposal issues.

I guess that's one more reason while I'm trying to grow asmuch of our own food as possible. I'm still working on that one...

But I do find that as I diet, I get more obsessed with food and often end up cooking too much to feed other people.

So maybe in my own way, my diet is adding to the world problem!

Gotta watch out for that one...

Marg

DammitJanet

K....Cory gained quite a bit when he was on MS and AP's. He actually got up to about 250 and he wasnt yet at quite his adult height. He topped out at his adult height of 6 foot and maybe half an inch. He is my shortest kid...lol. He is now also my skinniest kid too. When he went into his last placement...the Residential Treatment Center (RTC)...they had really icky food. It was state run so the food really didnt taste all that good but it was nutritionally ok. They had something called chork which was a combo of chicken and pork...ick. Cory just didnt eat all that much while he was there.

He lost quite a bit of weight while there even though he was still on lithium. Then he kept on losing when he came home. Eventually he went off medications and he has lost all his weight down to now around 170.

Jamie has actually bulked up now that he is on his own because they eat so much fast food. He is about 240 and 6' 5.5". He doesnt look fat at all because he is so tall and has muscle. The boy is huge.

Now I just look huge...lol. I dont weigh a whole lot more than Jamie but I am also a lot shorter than him and no muscle...lol.

klmno

I guess you just can't tell, huh? You know, the main thing to me is that I want difficult child to be healthy and feel good about himself and learn to stay out of trouble. I don't really care if he's the ideal weight Occupational Therapist (OT) not- the same goes for you, too, Janet!!