pain doctor stepped up to the plate

crazymama30

I was really impressed with pain doctor today. Ordered x rays, and had an MRI set up 1hr later. Went back to percocet, and that is kinda scarey as that can activate the BiPolar (BP) but the oxycontin was not touching the pain. Gave him robaxin instead of flexeril as his muscles are just in knots. May do valium tommorrow as it has muscle relaxing properties. psychiatrist ok'd that one. He will not be happy about the percocet, but husband cannot go on with that level of pain. I will just watch and see how he does.

Tommorrow back to pain doctor at 9 for pain injections, and hopefully should have the results from the x rays and MRI.

I asked pain doctor to sign the FMLA paperwork so I could miss work and keep my job. He did not even blink, said absolutely. I feel much better about him now. I just really have not had much interaction with him untill lately and have a hard time reading him.

He really got how much pain husband was in. I really appreciate the way he does not discount the pain due to husband's BiPolar (BP). It is very validating to me and I am sure to husband that he does not blame the pain on the BiPolar (BP). I think one of the reasons he wanted to see husband today was to be sure that the BiPolar (BP) was stable and for right now it is fairly so.

Thank you all for your ideas and your caring posts. I hope I do not disturb anyone with my posts. Right now difficult child is more easy child than easy child is! He has even been baking. Just made brownies, yesterda made chocolate cookies, and last week blonde brownies. All from scratch except the brownies tonight. He even did his missing assignments at school today. I am amazed that he is dealing with all that has been going on with daddy so well, and incredibly grateful for it.

If I whine too much let me know. I get so frustrated with husband's illnesses and the medical system sometimes.

M

ML

Please don't ever think you whine. You've been through a lot and besides, that is what we are here for. I'm so glad the pain doctor is working with you and validating husband's pain. There's nothing worse than fighting pain/disease AND the person supposed to be helping you. Hugs, ML

flutterby

Fly away!
Don't ever worry about posting.

I'm really glad that the pain doctor took this and treated this seriously. Having good doctors makes all the difference in the world. I hope the pain improves for husband.

And way to go, difficult child! :D

tiredmommy

{{{CM}}} I'm so happy that the pain doctor is moving quickly to help husband... I'll keep a good thought that husband's stability will hold. Give difficult child a big {{{hug}}} from his board auntie, I'm really proud of him! And don't worry about whining too much.... sometimes you give and other times you take. You'll be there to help someone with just what they need to hear next time!. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That is what this place is for. Talking to us, telling us what is going on, letting it out.
You are not whining at all. THis is your life and we are your friends.

I am glad that the pain doctor is stepping up as well.
Nice to hear that difficult child is being so good! And making treats, yum!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What wonderful news!!! I hope after tomorrow's appointment he starts feeling a LOT better. Fingers crossed the tests lead to some answers, or at least the right questions to be asked...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's great news. Be sure to update when you can how things are going.

I'm the queen of whining, so no fear...you're good! :)

DammitJanet

Wow...what a wonderful post to come read! Hey, I have a pain journal I can email to you if you feel it may be helpful for you. Its something like a mood journal.

I am sure hopeful for your hubby that things progress soon. Isnt it funny about medications? Oxycontin is simply timed release oxycodone with no tylenol in it and percocets are oxycodone with tylenol in them. Odd how the timed released ones would not activate him but do no good and the short acting ones would do more good but activate him.

Me on the other hand, dont like the stronger oxycodone, but do like the so called milder hydrocodone better. Weird, but it seems to help my pain better. I tend to have to skip over the oxy's.

Sorry for rambling. Im up late and not feeling well myself...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU go on and let it out:sad: as much as you need to every day all day for as long as you need to.

We'll be here. That's what
:flowers: friends:friendsforever: are for.:bigsmile::its_all_good:

crazymama30

Just got home. They did x-ray guided steroid injections in the sacro illiac joints. Really cool to watch. The MRI/X Rays showed more degenerative changes to his sacral area and hips. Pain doctor says it is degenerative joint disease. husband swore he told me that before--he never did--then husband finally says that he told me his joints are wearing out. NOT the same thing dear.. He said well, by the time he gets home things just get all jumbled up. Arrrrgggg.

So far the injections help, he thinks. They inject a local anesthetic so that is probably why they feel better, but he is not too rational right now so we will let him believe what he wants.

Mentioned OHSU for rheumatology and neurology referral. doctor thinks that a new set of eyes might be good, but we have a rheumatologist here he wants to send him to. I have heard good and bad things about the rheum here, not sure what I think about that. Will have to think about it.

The robaxin really seemed to loosen his muscles up better than the flexeril. Having the muscle spasms ease up really helped a lot.

He is wound for sound right now. 2 percocet, 2 oxycontins 10mg, and 2 cups of coffee--one being an expresso drink from the coffee stand--for a guy who does not drink coffee. He seems to be calming a little bit, but I HATE percocet. I don't want to have him go manic again, really really don't need that. He loves the percocet, says they make him feel good and then he wants to go do stuff. Can you say hypomanic?

Pain doctor knows what percocet does to husband, he said to watch his moods. Yeah, when don't I?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well relief is relief and that's a very good thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't launch himself into orbit around planet Mania. Maybe he won't need the oral pain medications if these injections do the trick!

crazymama30

Unfortunately I think he will always need oral pain medications. He has had these injections before and they help so he does need as many pain medications. I think it was the combo of all the medications and the coffee.

DammitJanet

CM...I am dxd with djd which I have been told is what they say when so many of your joints are just plain worn out with overwhelming arthritis. So someone, a DR probably, said to your hubby that his joints were worn out in explaining it to him and that is what he told you instead of saying the exact diagnosis.

I never saw my diagnosis of DJD until I saw it wrote out on a form somewhere...oh yeah, my social security records. That was enlightening.

crazymama30

I am going to duct tape his mouth shut. He has not quit talking since 10am. It is almost 2pm here. I am going to leave to go pick up difficult child from school soon, thank god. Then I am going to come home and take a clonazepam. OMG----I want the narcs to wear off.

Huh, I bet you are right dj. I am the more medical person, it is my thing to want to know a diagnosis. I think we have had one all the time but I did not know.

DammitJanet

When I had more characters to put in my signature, used to list "degenerative joint disease" but then I had more kids and spouses and I ran out of space...lol. So I shortened it to Arthritis...giggles.