Painting in the Dementia Unit--almost finished!

TerryJ2

Since this is 90% finished, I thought I'd post it.
Had an interesting day yesterday ... gotta write down some of the things people say. Heh heh.

DoorsStep7Medium.jpg

katya02

Solace
That looks great! Wonderful job! I like the way some of the 'books' are tilted and a bit untidy - just as they would be in a 3D bookshelf. :)

donna723

Terry, you did an awesome job on the mural! It's wonderful!

I never knew what they called that style of painting but it's fascinating. A lot of examples can be found on the link that Suz posted. There's a whole building painted like that in St. Louis but I have no idea where it is because I only saw it from a commuter train but it's just mind boggling! It's five or 6 stories high and when you look at it as you go past, it looks like a big old fashioned brick apartment building with wonderful architectural details. The windows are gorgeous and each floor has four or five balconies with ornate iron railings, beautiful furniture, and all kinds of plants and flower boxes overflowing with colorful flowers! At least that's what it looks like from the FRONT (actually I think that's the back of the building). But as you go past it and see it from the side, when you see it from the right angle, you can tell that the whole wall is completely flat and smooth ... not even a window in it! Every bit of it is painted on the side of the building!

donna723

No but that's really neat! I haven't seen that one. This one looked like a big old apartment building with the fancy balconies. I'll have to ask one of my cousins that still lives there where it is. We saw it from the Metro Linx commuter train when we were going from near my aunts house in the suburbs to the ball park downtown. Those trains go through the back ways and it's really hard to tell where you are till you get there. You're mostly seeing the backs of the old buildings instead of what you'd see from the street so I have no idea where it is.

TerryJ2

She is my maternal great grandmother. The picture seemed a perfect "fit," plus, since it was actually smaller than the image I painted, it was easy to pack and carry as reference.

TerryJ2

Woo hoo! I just spoke to the head RN who first commissioned me, and she said she'd already had residents try to take the books off of the shelves, LOL!
She asked if it would be all right to give my name and # to corporate. Are you kidding??!! :picture::painter: