paranoia

Jena

hi to all

so i've noticed difficult child has a high level of paranoia. i took the time tonight to truly listen to her speak of her lunchrm experience, as i do most nights when shes' down and out and upset about it.

she says i sit there alone, and i'm hungry but i'm nervous to eat because everyone's looking at me, and talking about me i hear them whispering. they think i'm weird. last year i didn't eat at all, so now this year i really am hungry. so i take a bite and i feel like i am shoving the food down my throat or into my face that's why their all looking.

so i can't move it's like i'm frozen in fear, i manage to raise my hand and the monitor comes over and i have someone safe to talk to who isn't talking about me. she lets me go to hte nurse where i feel safe.

ok so that is totally messed up, isn't it what she goes thru every day in lunch room?

social worker says cognitive therapy is making her stay in lunchroom through it, i'm like ummm no if she needs to get out let her get out.

any thoughts?

smallworld

I'm not sure what you're asking -- is it whether she should be made to stay in the lunchroom or be allowed to leave to go to the nurse?

Did you end up starting her on the medication? If it's an antipsychotic, it should help with distorted thinking and paranoia.

BusynMember

What medications is she taking?
To me it sounds like delusions. I had them once, at age 13. They are a distorted perception of reality. I truly felt kids from school were listening by my house so I felt I had to whisper. Anytime anyone talked in school, in whispers, I was sure they were making fun of me. Delusions.

klmno

I'm not sure what you are saying either- But I think it sounds like dellusions. My son has this sometimes, so far I'm only aware of it occurring at home. It appears to be par for the course, but I agree, tell psychiatrist and keep close communication.

witzend

I think that being able to stay in the lunchroom and eat would be a good thing. It won't be easy, though. It starts with not running away, and moves up to being comfortable with staying. I know it hurts to see her this way. I'm curious as to what medications she is on, as well.

As she is now, she's barely functioning if she can't eat around people. It's a battle that she will ultimately have to win on her own. {{{{{{Big hugs}}}}}}} to both of you.

Jena

hi

that was confusing what i wrote, lol. sorry i wrote it right before i went to sleep last night. yes i was asking if she should be made to stay in the lunchrm or get her escape by going to the nurse? yes, last year she didn't eat at all, it was a horror show.

she didnt' start medication yet, i'm doing it on friday. school is nervous about the medication and prefer me to keep her home when i start it, "just great"...........

difficult child does that alot in public also with-me. i just thought it was her being self conscious, yet when i listened toher last night i picked up something different. she even knows when she is in her logical brain she'll say i know 50% of what i think is happening isn't in regards to kids talking about her......

TerryJ2

Well, 50% is a good start. If you can get her to use that as a tool that would be helpful.
Poor thing.
She's going to have to tough it out ... "fake it until you make it."
If the medications are right, once they kick in, it will really help, and she can use her cognitive therapy even more effectively.