"Parent Invitation"

4sumrzn

I posted this in General also.

difficult child's school Psychologist called last week & said he was sitting in his office with the Special Education teacher & Special Education Supervisor discussing difficult child. He wanted to know if we could have a meeting before Spring Break to make sure we are all on the same page. I agreed. I get the parent invitation yesterday. People checked to attend meeting....Special Education teacher, Special Education Supervisor, School Psychologist & District Rep. Purpose for meeting: Other: To discuss 2008/2009 placement, update progress.

Would anyone know what that might mean? Our yearly IEP meeting was in December. They mentioned wanting to not give up on her yet & lowered her goals wanting to give more attention on her learning "to be a student". The subject has come up in the past about moving her to the Medically Handicapped unit within the same district, just different school. They pretty much shut that down when it was brought up previously. But, they also got the actual "diagnosis" last year that gives them all the extra money for her. Do you think they are possibly giving up now because she just "doesn't get" school? Guess I'm a little nervous.

slsh

member since 1999
I would be prepared for the possibility that they are going to request changing placement to the MH classroom because they're talking about updating progress and placement for 08/09.

Sheila

Having a meeting "to make sure everyone is on the same page" doesn't require a formal IEP meeting with-an Invitation sent out to Parent. Perhaps they wanted to go through the formalities in case a placement change is put on the table.

"Placement" is not a place. It's the written IEP. The sd is pretty much free to move a student from school to school as long as it's not discriminatory, but the IEP requirements do not change just because of a school change.

If they want to change placement and actual location of where services will be delivered, listen with an open mind. But if you don't agree, state it plainly.

Martie

I agree with Sheila...However, remember that the legal order is INVARIANT: eligibility (you have that) write a complete and correct IEP, determine the LRE in which the IEP can be implemented. Transfers to schools for administrative convenience are NOT legal...That the old a priori we educate "bananas over here and oranges over there" is not OK.

Martie