Parent - teacher meetings - cps approach

LittleDudesMom

Allen,

I think your post is timely. In a few weeks many schools here in the states will start their annual fall parent/teacher conferences. I think the information in the second link is right on! I would also suggest that our members read, "Lost in School" by Ross Greene. It also addresses the way teachers perceive the challenging student and offers great alternatives. It would be great to be able to bring in some suggestions from your article or the book to give to the teacher(s) of our difficult children.

Sharon

Allan-Matlem

I found asking leading questions - don't you think, would you not agree , etc puts me in the driving seat and in control of the meeting . - teenager decides to quit a course , does not inform teacher , does not attend class - principal - act of defiance , doing what he wants , kid setting the rules - parent - defiance is one possible explanation of kid's behavior but would you not agree that a kid that has a problem with executive functions, planning ahead and forethought , a more probable explanation is that he simply did not think ahead, exercise any forethought of informing and discussing the situation with the teacher

Allan

keista

Very timely indeed.

I've used some of these techniques in the past with success. Unfortunately just last week, they were met with failure due to a completely inflexible teacher. So if these techniques don't work, in my opinion it's not the parent or the technique, but the teacher you are dealing with. Just like everything else, it won't work in EVERY situation but it is a very great starting point :)

LittleDudesMom

Kiesta,

I agree. I've been up against a couple really stringent teachers who don't believe there is more than one way to teach a child and will dig their heels in harder than most difficult children!