Parents/friends of addicts: need advice on something that's a good thing

dashcat

I have a great-niece who is 25 and is struggling with alcoholism. She is not a difficult child, she lives on her own out of state and is owning and working on conquering her addiction. Her one year sobriety date is New Year's Eve and I would like to send her a card with some words of support.

I am at a loss as to what to say, though. I've not talked with her about this directly .. she's in town so rarely and due to crazy sister (her grandmother) drama on Christmas, my time in talking with her was limited. From what her mom says, she's very open about it.

I plan to keep it sort and sweet ... from those of you who have dealt with this with your difficult children ...or with anyone ... do you have any words of wisdom or advice as to what to say? what not to say?

I don't want this milestone to pass unacknowledged, yet I'm not sure how to begin..

Dash

Nancy

Dash go to hallmark cards. They have wonderful cards on recovery that really say the right thing. Then I would congratulate her on her one year anniversary and what a wonderful inspiration she is to other young people and how proud you are of her...and just an aside I am too. The world needs more young people who have found sobriety and can help other young people.

Nancy

exhausted

Dash,
We have a store in town that specializes in recovery books and items. They have sobriety coins that mark anniverseries. They have wonderful cards that say things right. I wonder if there is such a store near you.

DammitJanet

I was going to say the same thing as nancy...I think Hallmark makes specialized cards and tokens. Especially if you have a Hallmark store near you.

dashcat

Found a lovely card at the Hallmark store and already mailed it! I wrote that she was an inspiration to the entire family (thanks Nancy!) and that I was proud of her and love her. I wouldn't have thought to look at Hallmark (I usually make my cards) and I was really surprised to see how many cards they have for a million different situations. It's reallly good to know should I ever need to send a card to someone entering the seminary or something!
Exhausted, that store sounds really cool. If there's anything around here like that, I haven't seen it. I'll check into it though...I live very near to the city where AA started. Seems logical that there might be such a store in the vicinity.
Dash

Nancy

LOL Dash I was gonna tell you they had a Hallmark's right next to Beuhler's. I found some awesome cards to send to difficult child when she was in rehab. I'm sure your great niece will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Almost all religious gift stores carry recovery items. You would think there would be an abundance in your area for sure.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
I didn't realize that Hallmark made cards like that. I will have to check it out.

Exhausted, I would love to find a store with recovery items. Could you tell me or PM me the name of it so I can see if there is something like that here?

Also, Nancy, where did you get the AA necklace?