Password question (s)

Nomad

Staff member
Clearly, I'm computer challenged.
For whatever reason, I have to keep changing my password here. Happens about every three weeks or so.

Does this site allow a person to type in their own password, or do you have to go with the one given all the time?

Thank you.

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
If you're using our automated password reset you need to use the one that was generated for you to log in and then you can change it in your account settings.

There is nothing that I am aware of originating from our site that would be forcing you to change your password. That kind of glitch can be caused by a corrupted cookie cached by your browser. Clearing your browser cookies will likely fix that. There are instructions at both of the following links.

From Yahoo: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN4525.html

Your web browser's "Cache" is a place where information is stored which helps webpages load faster. "Cookies" are small pieces of information stored on your computer which save web site customization.
  • Clear your cookies to fix - Sign-in problems (not being able to sign-in, not being able to stay signed-in) and error messages about setting user cookies.
    • Keep in mind - Clearing your cookies will delete all web site information stored in your browser (passwords, sign-in information, site-specific preferences, etc).
  • Clear your cache to fix - Pages that hang, freeze, don't finish loading, or contain old content, and online applications (like games) that don't respond.

From Indiana University: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

About cache, cookies, and history
Each time you access a file through your web browser, the browser caches (stores) it. By doing this, the browser doesn't have to newly retrieve files (including any images) from the remote web site each time you click Back or Forward. You should periodically clear the cache to allow your browser to function more efficiently.

A cookie is a file created by a web browser, at the request of a web site, that is then stored on a computer. These files typically store user-specific information such as selections in a form, shopping cart contents, or authentication data. Browsers will normally clear cookies that reach a certain age, but clearing them manually may solve problems with web sites or your browser.

A browser's history is a log of sites that you visit. When you use a browser's Back button, you are moving back one entry in the history log. Browsers will normally clear the history at regular intervals, but you may want to clear it manually for privacy.