PBS Special

DammitJanet

I started to watch a special last night but fell asleep. It was called Minds on the Edge. From what I saw before I fell asleep it was very good. They were roll playing what it would be like to be or have a family member with a disorder.

MINDS ON THE EDGE: Facing Mental Illness zeros in on wrenching situations playing out every day in hospital ERs, on city streets and school campuses, in courtrooms and in jails, as Americans struggle with serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The dramatic scenario of this Fred Friendly Seminars program reveals personal dilemmas facing individuals and families, medical practices that can be obstacles to treatment, and public polices that are falling short.
Moderated by Frank Sesno, the program features Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Nobel-Prize-winning neuroscientist Eric Kandel, Pulitzer-nominated journalist Pete Earley, and other panelists from law, medicine, and public policy — including several who have personally faced the challenges of mental illness and offer their riveting insights.
Visit the Minds on the Edge Web site for TV schedule information
and multimedia content on serious mental illness.

N

Nomad

I watched it and thought it was excellent.

You can watch the entire thing on the PBS site/link.

It is a shame how our nation doesn't provide more good services for those diagnosis'd with mental illness and families who are doing their best to be supportive. I do hope that change will come sooner, rather than later.