People Tick Me Off

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Was walking the dogs this evening. Was downtown (we live in a small town) and was approached by a blonde and white basset male about the same age as Maggie. I know basset's so it was easy to guess his age. No collar just a very old flea collar. Very thin, overgrown nails (pretty badly overgrown), very friendly. Made up to both Molly and Maggie.......once Molly figured out he was just a baby. Nearly gave me a heart attack several times as he innocently wandered in and out of traffic attempting to follow us.......

I was so frustrated. I had no way to get him home unless he followed us because we had no spare leash. Killed me to leave him behind. One, I'm mighty partial to bassets having raised 3 of them.....especially blonde and whites. Two this was a baby! And not only was he lost but under fed and unkempt and I swear to all that is holy had his owner walked up I'd have beaten them.

Now why in heaven's name would you pay a breeder for a dog you don't intend to care for?? Bad enough to pick up one at the pound or shelter or from someone giving away free pups.......but basset's around here can be expensive, even when not expensive they're not cheap. I know, I've done extensive research into the area's breeders.

Travis just went to take Rowdy for his walk. I see he's taken Maggie's leash with him. Lord. I hope Rowdy is old enough that he doesn't have a fit, or that pup is young enough he doesn't have a fit. That is of course, if he hasn't wandered so far that they'll even see him.

Man, people just really peeve me off. I'm not sure which has me the maddest, that this baby is wandering around in the dark or that he's half starved and his feet have to be hurting him. :rollingpin::grrr:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Travis didn't spot him. I hope that means someone picked him up to keep the lil guy safe at the very least.

DammitJanet

Poor thing. It has to be getting cold there because we have a cold snap here right now. Of course my cold snap and yours are probably different...lol. Mine is it went from in the 80s to in the 50s. LOL.

Jody

Oh boy, I hope he is okay. That kind of stuff really bothers me. Oh i wish he would have followed you home safelly!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wish he'd have followed me home too. When I take the dogs tonight I'll carry the spare leash in case we spot him again.

I'd try to hold him until I could rehome him or find a basset rescue to take him. Despite his condition, he was beautiful.....or maybe I should say handsome. If I did that though, I'd have to come up with a plan as I have no clue if he's house trained........and outside while I have the yard, I had no spare dog house for him for shelter. The pound is currently full and has 4 dogs on the euth list until they can get rescued/adopted by tomorrow, so I'd rather not take him there should I spot him again........at least without trying other options first.

It got cold last night. I hate to think of him wandering around no food in his tummy and no place warm and safe to sleep. :( I really hope someone picked him up.

Jody

I was thinking about him and then I just started thinking about all the other dogs and cats fending for themselves on the streets. Terrible, that can make you sad real quick. I try to pick up any dogs that I see just wandering around, or I call the animal control if I can't catch them. Some just hop right on in the car when you call them. I would want someone to help my baby girl and my Broady. I have found a few and ran them home and then gone on to work. I wonder if they thought they were captive or something. I am sure it was pretty confusing for them, but they were warm and safe and fed. Then we work on finding who they belong to. One lady had accidently let her boy out after taking the kids to school, went home and went to back to bed and never even knew he was missing.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I try to pick up any dogs that I see just wandering around, or I call the animal control if I can't catch them. Some just hop right on in the car when you call them. I would want someone to help my baby girl and my Broady.

Jody, that is how I feel about it. If one of mine got lost or came up missing, I'd hope some kind person would keep them safe until I could find them again. I've picked up, well I couldn't begin to count, dogs over the years. Some I did get back to their owners. Some I knew who the owners were when I picked them up, and then I took them straight home. (we had two shelties who got out reg, I was taking them home for years.....and I wasn't the only one. lol ) Some I took to the no kill shelter, but I stopped that once I found out how sick the animals always are at ours. And I've taken several to the pound and more to rescues (and paid the fee to admit them). Many more I re-homed into loving homes, several of those I still see once in a while around town.

But on the street they're defenseless, afraid, open to the elements and cruelty of people who are either scared or just don't care, hungry ect, not to mention the risk of being hit by a car. And here? Any stray is at high risk for being picked up by the dog fighting rings, either as a fight dog or the target dog to train. I hate to see a stray walking our streets. Dog fighting is bad here. Cops are cracking down as hard as they can, but still, it is rampant.

Jody

I had a dog get hit by a car once, it was terrible. She ran right out between my legs and my daughters and ran straight for the highway, difficult child saw her get hit. That was hard, but it was final. I had a cat that got out in a blizzard and we never ever found him. He was super sweet. I thought the worrying about him being cold and hungry and lost and sad was terrible. I shed a lot of tears over poor Simon. I just hope that someone found him and gave him a home and he's warm and happy and loved. Ugh. The streets are brutal for a pet. Dog fighting ugh, I'de like to get my hands on anyone who does that. I read this morning that Michael Vick may have a new dog. I guess on his kitchen table when he was doing a twitter or something at his house, there was a box of dog bones in the picture. I sure hope he wasn't allowed to get another dog.