People with autism struggle to view self

R

runawaybunny

People with autism struggle to view self - New Scientist
People with autism, conventional wisdom goes, have trouble reading the emotions of others. However, brain scans suggest they also have difficulties getting in touch with their inner selves.

In a study published yesterday in the journal Brain, Michael Lombardo at the University of Cambridge reports scanning the brains of 66 males - half with autism spectrum disorder (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)), half developmentally normal - while they thought and made judgements about themselves and, separately, Queen Elizabeth.

For the non-autistic subjects, two brain areas linked to self-reflection proved more active when they thought about themselves, compared with thinking about the queen.

Not so for those with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). One region, the ventralmedial prefrontal cortex, tended to respond similarly to regal and personal judgements, while the second region, the middle cingulate cortex, proved more active when Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) patients thought about the queen.

trinityroyal

This totally makes sense. I wonder if that's part of what makes transitions so very hard.

Example:
You're getting a bit worn out from interacting with others, and starting to feel cranky, but don't recognize either that you're worn out OR cranky. Then all of a sudden you hit the wall and lose it.

I know that sort of thing happens to everyone, but I imagine that not being able to gauge your own emotions just amplifies it I suspect.