Pet Food?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Taters?? Really?? Well, someone forgot to tell my dogs that one. They all eat the peels..........and many of them enjoyed the potato, both raw and cooked. Peels help keep Maggie from eating dirt. Not that she eats a lot of them.....just a few while I'm peeling the potatoes. So far she's not shown an interest in the whole raw things.

I don't do raw bones due to bacteria, especially chicken bones. If I were processing my own meat, that would be different most likely.

Per veggies.......pureed makes sense..........most dogs don't chew, they gulp. Many do this even with dry kibble. Chewing starts the digestion process.........so if they're not chewing, they're probably not going to digest it as well.

My dogs are chewers, not gulpers. I'm trying to think back as to whom my last gulper was........I think it was one of my first bassets. She had to be supervised with everything as she'd get to gulping so bad her kibble would come back up too.

I don't puree for Maggie. She eats both raw and cooked. I clean up her poo when I manage to find it. And I've not seen anything undigested in it. She chews, not gulps.

Rufus is learning to chew. I suppose I should say.......if you can teach them. I'm not deliberately teaching him per se. I will hold on to raw hides and bones while they chew them especially while they're his size and somewhat bigger. Actually he won't get a real bone (unless Maggie decides to share) until he's a few weeks older. Maggie is teaching Rufus to chew.......I'm guessing the way Molly taught Maggie to chew........ I do tend to hold on to a treat once in a while and they have to nibble it out of my fingers.........also tend to feed them from a fork off my plate when I'm done eating, now that is a lesson as they've got to learn to get it off without poking themselves with the fork......which makes them slow down and usually chew while they're at it.

Buddy you're list is good. I don't deliberately feed my dogs chocolate for certain. Never would consider nuts (holy moly I could imagine those ripping through they're system). Nichole didn't know about grapes.....peeled them for Molly, she refused the peel.......I would imagine most seeds wouldn't' be good for same reason as the nuts. Maggie loves cauliflower both raw and cooked. It doesn't give her gas and it doesn't cause an issue with her bowels. (I try them on new veggies little bits at a time like you would a baby) Maggie likes bananas......she got a taste when Connor dropped one......but I avoid fruits because unless you have a constipated dog you're probably going to get loose stool in return. ick

I'm going to be making Rufus' food along with Maggie's. Puppy chow is NOT agreeing with him and frankly I'm tired of cleaning up the disaster it causes. I'll just add in chopped up boiled eggs (the amino acids are fantastic for them) and crushed egg shells to go along with everything else. He'll just get smaller portions several times a day to her once a day serving.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Susie, I've never changed food on them by mixing... They get whatever. Plus they had been out of dry food for about 3 days. In the past we did free feeding of dry and wet food 2x a day, about a tablespoon each time. This was what my parents did... So... Plus, the dog free feeds dry and only gets canned as a treat.

Last night they both had nibbles of the new food. They will only get about 1 cup a day to free feed so we'll see what happens...

donna723

Witz, that's it!

And somebody mentioned broccoli? You really have to be careful what veggies you feed your dogs, not that it will hurt them but because of the "side effects"! Trust me on this one ... you do NOT want to be in a room full of Bostons that have been eating broccoli! Just sayin' ...

InsaneCdn

... or cabbage, or beans, or... <grin>
You sort of have to feed them like "grandpa"... basic, simple, bland... and nothing that causes gas!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Just like pregnant or nursing women. Trust me. I love beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage... And when I eat them... Meggie and are are gassy as all get out...

susiestar

Roll With It
Step, have you tried beano? It does amazing things for most people. If you eat asparagus and papaya with no problem, then beano should work well for you. Not sure why, but the allergist said that if you have problems with either of those foods then you should not use beano. I don't eat either, don't like the taste. I don't do beano because the one time I did try it, turns out I am allergic in a major way. This is a rare thing. None of my kids has problems with beano and it is wonderful for husband. He eats beans and hot peppers/chilies anything hot he can and what it does to him is unspeakable. Esp if you are in the same room with him. ICK. I keep beano everywhere for him, have even put it on his food if I am fixing plates because he will forget. It deals with the gas from brocolli, cabbage and cauliflower with no problems.

I am going to look for that other brand at TSC to see what it is like. If it is cheaper, that is awesome.

nerfherder

Oh no here's another story from the Nerfherder. :)

Beano is the discovery of Alan Kligerman, creator of Lact-Aid.

I worked for Alan as a label-sticker/bottler, in Atlantic City when Lact-Aid was sold mail-order only from a 2nd story walk-up office down the street from Atlantic City High School. I helped bottle the yeasty-smelling goo when he was switching over from powders to liquid drops. I also stuck the little blue and white labels on the teeny bottles. It was my first Real Paycheck Job, and you know what?

If I'd kept on with him right out of high school, I'd be filthy rich. :) We all know that Lact-Aid is everywhere, Alan is Twice-Filthy Rich these days, and he doesn't even worry about manufacturing - hasn't in decades. It's all licensing. Wheee!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL nerf! I use Lactaid randomly but since I am lactose intolerant it helps.

Susie, I never had problems with this till I got pregnant. Probably because I grew up eating pintos in all kinds of forms. I do have Beano in the house though, got it for everyone else and no one has used it! Good thinking there!

DammitJanet

It is 4Health! And that Huge Bag lasts a long darned time. It comes in so many flavors too. I have noticed with Abby that she does not like fish flavored foods. Dont know why because she likes it when we give her leftover fried fish but she doesnt like the salmon dog food. Im using their treats too but I did get a pack of cookies that look like peanut butter oreo's made by another company but I read the package and the only ingredients that I wouldnt eat were carob. Thats only because I dont like carob...lol.

InsaneCdn

Just did a local price compute on Lisa's recipe... and for us? definitely no real $$ advantage, and a lot of work. Not that it wouldn't be better quality but...

Computing based on 5 lbs of meat... It would cost me about $60 to double that recipe (two dogs), and if that lasts a month... well, we're currently spending $45 or so for 3 weeks for the two of them, so... pretty much a wash. But that doesn't count my time, plus wear and tear on the stove, plus power to run the stove.

buddy

Janet, I did read no potato as well, thanks. Sweet potato is ok though.

Your microwave comment cracked me up.

Looks like the 4 health is much like the nutri source that I feed. both have grain free options. Its made by the Diamond food people, and had had some salmonella recalls in the past. None now though.

I am gonna stick to nutrasource for now because the feed store gives me the twelfth bag free! They keep or names on a card. Its never had a recall (so far)....so hoping...

Susie, good point about the germs, I did think of that too. My dog loves his crate and i thought of I did it I would feed him there and spray it down after. But I'm still not sure its for me, lol!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
IC I may find I have the same issue once Rufus gets older..........because until he's eating it as an adult dog......I won't know how large his portion will turn out to be. Prices do vary due to location and can vary quite a lot.

Due to frugal shopping (and stores that make it so I can shop this way easily), I can manage to double this recipe for just under 20 bucks. For me it is cheaper than reg commercial brands.....including generic.........and LOTS cheaper than the organic one I had the dogs on which wasn't even on the pricey end of those. If it didn't work out that way cost wise.....I would have issues doing it myself due to budget.

It does take time to prepare. If time is an issue you can do the meat in a pressure cooker to dramatically cut cook time (even when cooking to soften bones). I haven't used the pressure cooker because time isn't much of an issue. I've not noticed any dramatic increase in either gas / electric, and I'm anal retentive about both, also due to budget. And time I'm not pressed for at the moment. I pop the meat into the crock pot in the early morning.........and do the rice/veggies on the stove when I see the bones are getting mushy in the chicken......that part is like 20 mins. While rice/veggies cook I'm working on the chicken/bones. It goes quicker and simpler once you're used to doing it.

If it does get too expensive for me to do the recipe.........I might be in trouble. Maggie does horribly with commercial dog food.......and still has some trouble with the organic one. I truly don't want to go back to her barfing up stomach acid every single morning all over the house. ugh (and yes, that started again once she decided she just had to eat Rufus' puppy chow *sigh*)