Pet peeves

T

TeDo

Don't know if this has been done before but I'm curious what other peoples' biggest pet peeve is. I have been bombarded with mine lately so it's brought the subject to the forefront.

I may be way out there but my BIGGEST pet peeve is when people whine and complain about a problem that they won't try to do anything about. I'm talking about when there are many things that have worked and can at least be tried but the person refuses to even try any solutions. To me it feels almost like they need the drama or something.

What's your BIGGEST pet peeve (and no I don't mean males in the house leaving the toilet seat up or kids leaving the lights on in empty rooms, etc)????

flutterby

Fly away!
In my current frame of mind, almost everything is a pet peeve or annoys the snot out of me. However, the one you listed is one that I've always had. I have been known to tell people like that, after many months of whining and complaining about the same thing, but unwilling to do anything about it, that they either needed to do something or accept it as it is and find a way to be ok with it, but that I wasn't going to listen to it anymore. Apparently, that makes me a witch with a capital B. Oh well.

DammitJanet

Right now its my cell phone company. There is a tower that serves the area where my house is located and the surrounding 5 mile radius. It has been knocked off line since September 10th. I cant make a call out nor receive a call in without it dropping the call or no one being able to understand me because I break up so badly and then my call drops about a minute or two into the call. They keep telling me...oh it will be fixed in a few days...well maybe a week. Call us on Tuesday. Well we think its gonna be fixed on the 20th. Oh the part came in broken and is now being sent back. Try us again in 72 hours. ARGH! I have to drive at least 7 to 8 miles into town and hope my phone picks up another tower just to make a call. I have a ton of calls I need to make. I missed the cable guy coming to my house yesterday because he wants to call you on his way to the house and my phone wouldnt accept his call. I tried to text him. I can text. I texted Billy to call him back because Billy was at work and can make calls from there. No dice.

My other one just leaves one word and needs no explanation. Buck.

Calamity Jane

The infamous "humble brag." Like, "My daughter just has a MELTDOWN if she doesn't make the Dean's List. She was SO upset she only got a 90 on her Advanced Molecular Biochemistry test - she was so angry at the professor. She studies ALL the time, but I tell her, go out, have fun - don't put so much pressure on yourself."

InsaneCdn

How about the people who say they are going to do certain things... and then don't?
Especially happens when it's particularly critical...

Calamity Jane

Here's another one - sorry. Professional athletes who showboat. The baseball player who has to watch the ball soar for a possible home run before he starts running the bases; the football player who goes berserk when he makes a TD. I'm old school and crotchety, but I just think it's more elegant to do your job and not make such a fool of yourself.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
People who expect others to do their work for them and then get affronted when asked to do the smallest task. Or their corollary, those who just let things slide till someone else HAS to do them.

Jody

Oh boy I hate when the elevator door opens on the elevator and i step to get out and the people who want to get on, have bombarded the door and are just standing there. Ugh move over moron, let me out and then you can have the whole flipping elevator to yourself. Can you tell it makes me livid, lol, but then I have a short fuse.

My difficult child muting the commercials so she can blare the music on her computer. Ugh, so not relaxing then she forgets and I miss part of my show,

Drama at work. I dont want drama. I want to work and I want everyone else to work, and if they are not I dont want them causing drama. I have tons of drama at home. Why can't grown ups just knock of the drama. Really I have seen some crazy drama at work and I really can't believe these people are grownups. Ick.

I will start here, but will add more at a later time.

S

Signorina

People who can't make decisions and people who take simple decisions/tasks and turn them into multi step processes. Like "we should get together for lunch." "when?" "next week sometimes?" "What works for you?" "call me on Monday and I'll know more then" (Monday rolls around) "What day this week?" Pick a day but not a place or a time... then ANOTHER communication to pick a place. And then ANOTHER communication to pick a time.

How about starting with "Let's have lunch next week, what day works?" Mutually agree on a day. And then "see you on Tuesday at noon at Olive Garden" DONE! Simple

(My h does this all the time - drives me batty)

And passive aggressive people and actions. Right now - that includes my mom who texts me with request that I call her. Because then the onus is on me. I want to scream - If you want to talk to me - YOU call ME. And despite me telling her that I leave my phone next to my bed for kid emergency/curfew purposes and that it awakens me when she texts- she persists in texting me EARLY in the morning with details about her schedule for the day "in case I want to talk to her." Seriously?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Right now - that includes my mom who texts me with request that I call her. Because then the onus is on me. I want to scream - If you want to talk to me - YOU call ME.
husband and I do this, but it is because sometimes we just cannot pick up the phone. If it is URGENT, I will call. Otherwise it is a text - CALL ME WHEN YOU HAVE A MOMENT. Of course, this will also keep him from having a stroke thinking I am calling because my water broke...

BusynMember

I have many pet peeves, but one that is close to my heart are those people who obviously have mental health problems but won't do anything about them.

"Naw, I won't take medications...that makes me a drug addict...although I feel like killing myself, I still won't try..."

"I can't talk to therapists...."

"I don't want the therapist to judge me as a bad mother..."

"I'm afraid to find out what is wrong with me..."

"I can't afford to go for help."

It goes on and on. I've met a lot of people in self help groups who never really do get better because they have 101 excuses why they "can't" try.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I may be way out there but my BIGGEST pet peeve is when people whine and complain about a problem that they won't try to do anything about. I'm talking about when there are many things that have worked and can at least be tried but the person refuses to even try any solutions. To me it feels almost like they need the drama or something.

I hate this as well. One of my favorite quotes is by Maya Angelou: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it , change your attitude."

Hmm I have different pet peeves depending on the day, lots of them having to do with people who can't drive ;-) Lately, it's coming up behind someone on I-95 who is driving 10 mph UNDER the speed limit. In the middle or left lane, no less. It seems to happen once a week to or from work.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Rudeness.

Self centeredness

Lack of empathy.

Wallowing in ignorance while professing your "wisdom" about a topic. (not here, I've been running into this quite too much in my life recently) I don't expect everyone to be a genius.......but please don't fan your ignorance my way and expect me to praise you for it.

I'd better stop or this will quickly turn into a major vent. It's been one hellova week.

Wiped Out

Staff member
From my home point of view: Laziness and no telephone service with our cell because of where we live, which by the way, is right in the city. ARGH!
difficult child yelling "SHUT UP" when he wants to say something, which is constantly. GRRRR!

From my school point of view: My homework is done it's just at home!!!!!! This one drives me crazy and I always tell them that if it isn't at school it isn't done!

garrison

I hate early morning phone calls. Everyone in my world knows that before 9 a.m. I am saying goodbye to husband and planning my day. If you're not on fire, WAIT TO CALL! Maybe it's because of this being the age of social electronics (facebook, texting) but it seems like everyone has no respect for anyone elses privacy.
My adult kids and there so's have the hardest time understanding that I am not available to them 24/7 unless its an emergency. It's like they have a thought and they want to share and to hell with everyone else. It's all about them.
For all of you who hate people who complain just to hear themselves complain, tell them this next time they start, "You've got the talking part done". I find it slows down the complaining for a while and it makes me chuckle seeing thier reaction.

Mattsmom277

Telecommunications companies. Their customer service is always horrible. Bills are never what you contracted for and always create higher bills from hidden fees despite laws in acted supposedly to protect consumers from just that.

Telephones in general. I can't decide if I'm just turning into a larger hermit, or if it's because I am tired of how it seems most people nowadays feel in our "always connected" society it somehow means I'm obligated to stop my life. Right. Now. Because a telephone rings and your number is on display, so of course you know it's that person calling and they can't believe you "just ignore the call". Um. Really?!?! Example: it's 8am. I'm juggling goodbyes to S/O, straightening easy child's hair for school. I have a screaming cat waiting by a good dish. My coffee has gone cold and I'm barely able to stand due to morning pain/stiffness and lack of sleep because my MS symptoms have ruined proper sleep. For months. I have to make a lunch still, sign homework or school forms, and it's inevitable easy child can't find socks. Or her backpack. Or gym clothes. I've got 30 minutes to do it all and am hanging by a thread, smiling at my family when im really craving bed. Or at least that moment the house is empty and I can finally sit and make a proper hot coffee and zone out for thirty minutes to wake up and start on a better footing for the day. But let's make sure I answer a call from so and so. Because its no true emergency but they have been awake for hours chomping at the bit to discuss last nights hit tv show, or ask for advice (that they never take anyhow) or vent their morning angst at how sick they are of demands on THEM in the morning. Well. I have NO time for that at 8am. So 8:15 the person calls again because they know that I'm up for easy child for school so obviously I must have just missed the ringing phone and they should call back. Again every five minutes because come on now, they know by now the ringing is clearly heard. And don't you know, even if you don't look at caller id, kid you not, my cordless phone TALKS. And identifies the callers name LOUDLY. So now it has got to be personal. I'm just ignoring them and how dare I!!!!!

Whew! Think this pet peeve is currently the name of my existence? That was quite the rant. Yesterday I muted the phone until 11 am. When I checked caller id, I had 9 missed calls. 7 from the same person. Between 8-11 am. I was frustrated but called person back (no message on machine of course) just to end the insanity. A breezy ohhhh I thought maybe you were having a bad pain day and went back to bed. Really?!?!? In which case I realllllly needed the phone ringing 9 times from you in 3 hours. Me: I was busy. What's up? Them: not much. Just needed an ear. Me: (unsurprised) oh. Why? What's going on? Them: just need to vent about my disrespectful kid before I scream. Me : (thinking really?????? Wonder where he gets it from?!?!) oh I hear ya, can't stand it when someone can't see how they have no business disrespecting those they need so bad. Kind of makes you wish you could mute them sometimes doesn't it? Them: that goodness you called back. I always know you just "get it" Me: (face palm) oh I get it alright.

Rant over. Thanks all!!! I needed to let that out. It's about two hours until those in my orbit expect I'll be free for morning phone therapy. Thankfully I have court today with pcs dad and will be gone already. Bets on how many "missed calls" my phone logs by the time I'm home?

I want to live with Janet and her wonky phone tower. Where the phone CAN'T ring.

DammitJanet

Oh my phone rings...I just cant answer it!

I have no idea if someone here on the board is trying to call me but I have been getting phone calls from two area codes that I dont know. one is a 414 and the other begins with 6 but I dont have the phone right here beside me to see it. They dont appear to be toll free numbers so I dont assume they are bill collectors. I need to go back and see when they started because if one started early on, it could be where I was checking out some ASPCA dog insurance. I will ignore that.

EStephens

My biggest pet peeve is when a mother goes on and on and on about her "perfect child". Swears the sun rises and falls by this little human, when in reality they are the biggest jerk faces you will ever meet!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ooh, I thought of another one - a person who, when you don't answer the phone (for whatever reason), calls again. And again. And again. one right after the other. After call #2 I will refuse to answer on principle. Onyxx used to do this, Jett still does. mother in law will wait 20 minutes in between calls, but - !!!

There ARE exceptions - but this is usually from people who don't NORMALLY do it.

Along with that goes the people who repeatedly ring the doorbell. Duh, I'll get there.