Pets and Christmas

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We are just a tad odd around here. It is expected that family members include pets in their holiday shopping. All the pets.

(the odd part is that this means even Carmen the turtle is included lol)

Now Molly the elder housedog takes xmas seriously. She knows it's coming from the moment the first decoration is up. She also expect someone to dig out her jingle bell collar and put it on her. Try to visualize a shepard/ridgeback mix proudly wearing a furry red and white collar with jingle bells.

Betsy was jealous of Molly's holiday clothes, but was too afraid of the bells for me to go out and buy one for her.

Bruce the cat decided the tree was his new toy.

Then xmas morning. Pets patiently wait for everyone else to open their presents. Then it's their turn......

So I gave the turtle her calcium turtle thingie, the cats their kitty treats, Rowdy got his stuffed bunny toy and a knee bone.

Then I sit on the livingroom floor and call Molly and Betsy over. I kid you not, they acted like small children, all excited. Betsy helped me tear the paper off her stuffed squirrel, then went bonkers when she saw what it was. Molly was literally wagging her whole body by the time we got the paper off her new collar. And of course she had to have me put it on right away.

Then both girls went to seperate corners to enjoy their beef basted rawhides.

:rofl: :rofl:

Words really don't do the scene justice. It was so funny and cute.

Of course this isn't all they got for xmas. The kids all bought them gifts too. But while I was helping them open the ones I got them I kept thinking, good grief they're acting just like people. :rofl:

Each also got portions of xmas dinner.

So? I wanna hear how YOUR pets enjoyed xmas. :santa: Did Santa leave a lil something for them too?

SRL

Santa left our bunny a pear in her stocking and a toy, a jar of chicken baby food (his to die for food), and two rolls of wrapping paper for our kitty.

I couldn't believe it but the cat had the trees down twice last year and this year he pretty much left them alone. The upstairs tree is in "his" place in the living room but he liked going behind it and napping. I left it up with just lights for a week before decorating and I think that helped. Wrapping paper was another story--he had a ball with that and trashed a big piece while my son was wrapping something. He's enjoyed it so much we've left the mangled piece out for him--he sleeps on it, hides under it for ambushing, rearranges it, etc.

donna723

We do this too! Each of my three dogs got two presents plus some treats. I would have gotten them more but too many new toys at one time gets a little overwhelming for them. Each one of them got a new toy, which they loved! Then, because Boston Terriers get so cold when we go outside, Ragan got a pretty pink sweater and Katy got a little quilted jacket. And because my little mixed breed, Freebie, has long hair and doesn't need a coat, she got a really pretty pale blue collar with little pink flowers on it. She gets all excited and always tears the paper off of her own presents, and she seemed really disapointed to see a new collar! She obviously was looking for another toy! She sat dejected-looking by the front door, waiting to be let out, wearing her pretty new collar! Apparently getting a new collar for Christmas is the equivalent of "socks and underwear" for a dog.

Pam R

Our cats have always gotten presents too. When we had horses, they got a warm mash with lots of carrots and apples and molasses.

This year there's just 1 house cat, Bryde the Brainless. She adores a toy that's a long piece of material the same colors as she is with elastic in it. It has feathers on the end. It sat in the catnip jar until I wrapped it.

She spent the time she was not playing with it, sleeping on it. There are so many cat toys in this house, one would almost think a little kid was here.

She has a red basket they are kept in and she will go and empty it looking for her favorites.

The kitties get Christmas dinner too. We get 4 different kinds and put some of each in every bowl. husband took 3 up to the barn along with some catnip. (They catch their own toys up there. LOL)

So no one gets left out here at Christmas. :))

Pam R.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Our black lab, Ella, received mostly just different types of treats. We did get her a hedgehog toy which I swear she thought was real at first by the way she went at it. The only other toy she did get is already destroyed. I would guess the hedgehog won't last long either!!

K

Kjs

Same in our house. Only the pet store was out of the ONLY ball my chloe likes. So, we put some bones under the tree for them to find. And, yes of course the proud way they wear their Christmas collar. They are so funny. Prancing around like they are the Queen of the world.

Yep, pets are included.

Sue C

Well, I always think our pets have enough, but Melissa buys them presents. She bought our Springer Spaniel a new stuffed animal dog and some kind of big brown bone. He helped tear open the wrapping paper on his stuffed dog and then ran around the house with it. Later, he laid on the floor with his head resting on it. She bought our cat 2 plastic jingle bell balls. The dog stole one and bit into it and broke it, so we had to take the balls away from the cat. She also bought the cat a big bag of catnip. The cat loved it but looked a little stoned.

Melissa also bought Angela's dog one of the big brown bones and 2 jingle balls for her 2 cats. She also bought 2 jingle balls for my mom's 2 cats.

I'm happy to hear everyone's pets had a Merry Christmas!

sue

LittleDudesMom

Spot got a rawhide bone and a bag of treats in his stocking, and the birds each got seed and fruit treats to hang in their cages!

Pets love Christmas too!

Sharon

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My 3 girls got new woobies to play with. They loved them and were prancing (and squeeking!) all over the house showing them off. :smile:

Suz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donna723</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> She sat dejected-looking by the front door, waiting to be let out, wearing her pretty new collar! Apparently getting a new collar for Christmas is the equivalent of "socks and underwear" for a dog. </div></div>

:rofl:

Our dog gets treats and chew toys at Christmas. He gets all excited like a little kid.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Our old dog who passed away this spring enjoyed the festivities, too. He always had a gift to open and enjoyed it immensely. My new dog, however, isn't too much on treats other than cheese. She does, however, have skin problems and loses her hair unless she wears clothes, so she got a new purple checked dress with bows and flowers.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our cat does not really understand. Neither does the bird. All the bird wanted was a clean cage. Mind you I am in a neck brace. But after 4 requests to clean the cage went in one ear and out the rear, I was MAD.

On Christmas day I cleaned the cage and made it well known that a more complete job than I could do WOULD be done on a regular basis by them that loves that horrid creature or I would be giving her AWAY!!

The cat just played with the tree and stuff under it. Drives husband crazy, which is half her fun. She got a package of toys, which she ignored, and a bag of treats, which she refuses to eat anywhere but my bathroom. Strange thing, but I adore her.

So does the bird. At night my idiot Gracie Lou Freebush will curl up on a pillow next to the bird cage. Then hte horrible bird will get as close to her as possible. They sleep that way most nights. And yes, Gracie was named after the character in Miss Congeniality. This year she did not climb the tree. Thank heavens.

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was looking through some older boxes of stuff and came across the reindeer antlers with strap I had put on the American Bulldog last year. They have bells on them - he sat so nice for his picture last year to send to "Grandma" (since I can't take them to a dog Santa picture place without the threat of being eaten)

And this year when I found it - I jingled it and he took off and hid. Needless to say it's going in the charity box for the animal shelter.

F

flutterbee

Jewel is a whippet and their fur isn't at all insulating, so we got her a coat which is faux suede lined with the same material as is on the top of her dog bed (can't think of the name of it, but it's off-white and soft, kinda of like sheep's wool). She also got a stuffed duck which we didn't put under the tree cause she can always pick out the stuffed toys she gets. When we showed it to her, she was sticking her nose way down inside the paper trying to get at it, then promptly went for the quacker (as opposed to squeaker this time).

She had to sniff the coat before she wore it. Then, cause we were bored, we put it on Puddles. That's what he gets for being so curious and trying to get under it. Puddles was not at all amused and Jewel was upset that Puddles was wearing her coat. :rofl: It took a while to get it off Puddles cause I couldn't get off the floor I was laughing so hard.

The kitties got some new toys, too, but Abbey still prefers flipping the m&m's out of the bowl and chasing them. :rolleyes:

donna723

Mine have reindeer antlers too, and a little red and green cloth collar thingie with jingle bells on it. If I'm lucky, they will wear them long enough to take pictures. Bostons looks so funny dressed up that it's hard not to go overboard on it. For Halloween they have a pumpkin outfit and a green Shrek-like hood thing with glow-in-the-dark eyes. On their birthdays, they wear party hats and get their pictures taken. Katy also has a little toddler-sized yellow and orange sunsuit, but she only wore it right after her surgery to keep her from licking her stitches. She also has a little black bandana that has "SECURITY" printed on it in fluorescent orange letters. She wore it when I took her to the Christmas parade, which she loved! The bandana came with a little pair of sunglasses that look really cool on her but she didn't wear them to the parade because it was dark and that would be silly!

:rofl:

Fran

Former desparate mom
The puppies got bling for their collars and cowboy hats. They look incredibly embarassed to wear the dorky hats but they are patient.
My pups were in foster care for 6 months and don't tend to be playful so they ignore toys.
I gave each of them a prime rib bone. I'm pretty sure they love Santa for his good choice of Christmas dinner.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You have no idea how much fun I'm having reading all your replies. :smile:

I bought Molly the reindeer antlers one year. She gave me a look of utter indignation and strutted away. The jingle bell furry collar thingie is more her style.

Molly and Betsy have been arguing over the stuffed squirrel. Seems I thought wrong about her being too old to want a stuffy for xmas. Guess I'll have to run to kmart and pick her up her fav toy, a hedgehog. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Rowdy is a year older than Molly, but I always get him a stuffy for xmas. He never plays with them. He literally snuggles them. And since the weather is usually so nasty, it helps keep him from getting too lonely out in his kennel. (yes, I'm a sucker)

Tomorrow evening Rowdy will be getting his biggest present..... The bone from the ham! And this year it's huge. lol (left plenty of scraps on it too) Molly and Betsy are always jealous of this, but darn it they're inside and always get handouts.

Think I'll show this thread to sister in law so he stops thinking the family is bonkers. :rofl: