Phone call from mother in law

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Two Brooms called me last night. Twice, actually, because she had to hang up on me in the middle of the first call because she thought husband was calling her (yes, she just hangs up...)

She told me husband can't see, and I need to get him in to get his eyes checked.

Not that she is concerned, or she has noticed, or she thinks....HE CANT SEE and IT IS MY PROBLEM TO FIX. Ugh.

Then she asked if we had vision insurance, which I did not carry this year as Wee and I had our eyes checked last year and had no issues (I suggested to husband to do the same several times, but he did not do it). So I said no.

So she told me that I will be getting vision insurance next year, and I will be getting husband in to have an eye exam. And have him checked for glaucoma.

I told her he's a big boy, I tried to get him to go last year, but he wouldn't; not much more I can really do. Well, that's not her problem. I need to get this done.

Yeah, ok...and while I'm at it, I'll wave the magic wand and he'll start changing his oil and picking up his stuff, right???

susiestar

Roll With It
why do you take her calls? Ignore her and her calls. She is clearly crazy. If husband cannot see then husband needs to fix it. Tell him to get his mother to stop bothering you. Sheesh.

slsh

member since 1999
LOL, Shari - I'd just sweetly inform her that you are not his *mother* (hint hint hint hint hint). She should feel free to take him by the hand to the ophthalmologist if she feels he's incapable of taking care of himself. If she's not up to the task, she should take it up with *him*.

Once again very grateful that I live many many many miles away from all family. ;)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My thoughts, exactly! If he can't see, he won't mind me canceling cable, and he also won't be able to blow up any more cars! lol

The sad thing is, she really, truly expects me to take this on as my problem. I really do not think she will ever "let go" of her children and allow them to be anything but her wards (as best as she is capable, I mean). She thinks nothing of telling him to mow her yard and expecting him to do it. Or his sister when Two Brooms tells her to work her garden. Never a request...is an order from a parent.

What strikes me as ironic, tho, is the fact that, while I am obviously responsible for husband? She still will not ask me for ANYTHING to do with cgfg without asking husband first. For 8 years, I have handled the schedules of the kids, and she not once, not even when husband asked her to, has ever asked me when an event relating to cgfg is (such as a ballgame or shoot), or anything of the sort. She says she won't ask me, either, because "cgfg is not (mine) to keep track of". Nor will she ask husband about Wee or the big boys.

Yet, husband somehow, as a 46 year old adult - is mine to keep track of?? I don't get it... (then again, that's:smile: nothing new...)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and Sue...I did tell her that. Another one of my favorite things to say to her.

(My other fav thing to say to her? When she asks me how my mom is (which is rare). She calls her kids 8-10-12 times a DAY and flips out if they don't answer. I talk to my mom once a week, maybe. So I'll respond to her with "She was fine when I talked to her last Wednesday. Haven't talked to her since." and she will say "well, you're not a very good daughter." and I will say "Mom's a big girl. She can handle it. She'll call if she needs me." lol LOVE LOVE LOVE having that conversation with her!!!! *Cause she *gets* the contrast....)

DammitJanet

Oh I wish Mandy and Billie could get just one week with your mother in law! They would be so much happier with me.

Actually Mandy has gotten a ton better since getting pregnant. She is much more appreciative. Or maybe she just hides it better and Cory has her on a leash...dunno but if Cory is smart enough to keep her on a leash, then that is good.

KTMom91

I read your posts, Shari, and I chuckle because...this was my life with Useless Boy. You are infinitely more patient than I am. Many hugs.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And Mary....sometimes....that is why I answer the phone. The absurdity makes me laugh. Sometimes I can't WAIT to share.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would tell her "you know what? You were right he CAN NOT see!!!!!! He can't see to dial his phone or answer it!!!!! Now he can't take your calls, or run your farm, or drive you to market, or or or.........OMG I think YOU better take him to the eye doctor......I'm too distraught sitting at home crying.....YOU UPSET ME. (insert Scarlet Ohara type cry). HOW can I evvvva evvvah work mah land without mah man? (insert cry again?_ then hang up.

OH you are sooooo much more non-sarcastic than I would be with THE WWOTN. and her flying monkeys