Physical therapy

KTMom91

In about an hour, I have my first physical therapy appointment for my knee. The swelling's gone down, but I still get the popping sound and the PAIN if I move too quickly. I also feel unsteady while walking, and don't know if I need a knee brace or a cane. To top it off, I'm working tomorrow afternoon, so I can't just medicate and forget it. I'm afraid I'm going to leave there in even more pain. Anybody done this before? What are they going to do to me?

everywoman

They will start slowly. The first few days are really easy. Then the therapists sadistic natures will come out. Be sure to exercise cautiously, but do the exercises. After my 2nd surgery last summer my thigh muscle went dormant and getting it to work again was a nightmare.

trinityroyal

Some of the physical therapy is actually very soothing.
When I had my elbow worked on many years ago, I got to use an arm-sized hot tub with jets. They also used ultrasound and a TENS machine. Loved the TENS machine.

Other than that, Everywoman is right...take it slowly, but do whatever exercises they give you to do. That's the best shot at regaining full function and range of motion.

Sending hugs and a soft pillow on which to put your leg up.

Trinity

slsh

member since 1999
Well, in my experience, it depends on the PT. I went for the first time in 2006 after an MRI confirmed a couple of bulging disks. Unfortunately, my PT's name was the Marquis de Sade. Old Marquis firmly believed in "no pain, no gain". I went 3 times and was in 3 times as much pain by the end of my week with him. I called and cancelled. He called and tried to talk me out of it. I told him that I know I'm just an idiot lay person with a bad back, but I was not going to continue a PT program that was aggravating the problem. He had the nerve to call me 2 more times!!! I then went to a chiropractor who very slowly got me thru it.

After my back surgeries, I had to do rehab. Obviously didn't go back to Marquis. I did walk in and let them know up front that I do not believe in "no pain, no gain" and if that was their philosophy we should just call it a day. These folks were *fabulous*. We'd start off with hot moist compresses, then some kind of electrical stimulation, then very gentle exercises. Two months later I was almost back to my pre-back problem state.

In my lay opinion, you can get a good PT program going without causing more pain. Good luck!

KTMom91

The first visit went very well...she was very nice, but looked shocked when I told her that I'd asked some friends about PT, and I was told about the "sadistic nature coming out"...thanks to everywoman...her reaction made me laugh!

She didn't hurt me too badly today, but I stretched my leg too far on the bike and nearly fell apart. Oh, the PAIN! But the electric zapper and the ice made it better.

I told her I was concerned about working tomorrow because my knee feels weak, and should I get a light brace or something for the stability, and she brought out this amazing blue tape and taped my knee like an octopus, and another strip like a horseshoe around my kneecap. I love this tape! I want my own roll of tape and clear instructions on how to tape correctly.

witzend

Ask her if she will video tape what she is doing and send it home with you. A good PT will. And it will hurt because you are stretching out tendons and muscles that are really tight.

Dimitri

Banned
Hmmm that very good for the knee treatment i have seen so many cases like back lower back arm shoulder collor bone etc physical therapy is really helpful in all these kind of scenarios...........

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The PT for my knee felt both agonizing and fantastic depending on the appointment and day. I eventually had to stop because it was clear that surgery was definite. After my surgery, I will go again, though with a different treatment plan.

The PT I received a couple of years ago for my wrist was fabulous, it really helped. And they used that tape then and, like you, I wanted my own roll to take home!

I'm glad your PT is going well! It really helps to have a good PT.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
In their defense, sometimes they just can't help that they have to cause pain. But some are far more gentle about it than others, lemme tell you.

The one I had with my shoulders would NOT listen when I told her that my right one would not move a certain way. The 3rd or 4th time she attempted to push it.....and I heard bone grating on bone as well as felt it, I told her I'd do my own PT from there on out. I still have pieces of bone in that right shoulder floating around in the joint. I did my own exercises at my own pace and comfort level. I pushed it but didn't over extend it to where the pain was more than I could handle. At first a lot of exercises were done in the hot shower to help those muscles relax and loosen back up again.

Most of my range of motion I have.......except I can't put my right arm behind my back. doctor thought it was amazing, so I guess I did ok on my own. lol

DammitJanet

h the horrors of PT! Just even thinking about it gives me the cold chills. But then again when you are wheeled into a room, strapped to a table so you look like they are ready to do a lethal injection and then they tilt the table up to almost standing position until your legs buckle just so you can learn to put weight on them? Well, thats not fun...lol. Then I remember trying to stand up with a walker for just 5 seconds so I could get 2 ounces of diet coke. We would increase the time by 5 seconds every couple of hours. The day I learned to walk the parallel bars was quite a triumph.

These are the memories that make me so not want to do my knees.

InsaneCdn

These are the memories that make me so not want to do my knees.

Janet! Stop it! You're going to scare the whole world away from joint replacement.

Its NOT the same. Dealing with brain injury (meningitus is a brain trauma from within) is a whole different situation than joint replacement. It affects your entire body at the same time... whereas joint replacement isn't even both sides at the same time... its ONE knee or ONE hip...

Mom came out of knee surgery (2nd op) mid-week. Friday was the first day she could have PT... but the PT was away that day. Because she'd been through it before, the Dr told Mom to just do what she remembered from last time.

The rule on knee surgery (here) is that you can go home when you have 90 degrees bend.

PT came in on Monday morning, took some measurements, gave her a couple more exercises.
Dr. came in at lunch and said... "I didn't know you hated this place THAT much."

She was home in time for supper Monday. (Its supposed to take at least a week, sometimes up to 2 weeks)

What's the big deal?

But... after a head/brain injury... THAT would be absolutely massive. I CANNOT imagine, and hope I never have to go there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet! Stop it! You're going to scare the whole world away from joint replacement.

Its NOT the same. Mom came out of knee surgery (2nd op) mid-week. Friday was the first day she could have PT... but the PT was away that day. Because she'd been through it before, the Dr told Mom to just do what she remembered from last time.The rule on knee surgery (here) is that you can go home when you have 90 degrees bend. PT came in on Monday morning, took some measurements, gave her a couple more exercises. Dr. came in at lunch and said... "I didn't know you hated this place THAT much." She was home in time for supper Monday. (Its supposed to take at least a week, sometimes up to 2 weeks)

Seriously, thank you for posting this!!! Janet scared me! Waaah hahhahahaaaa