Picked him up from school again.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Just got home. Got to school and he was under the bench in the hallway.

According to him, everyone hated him. No one choose him in gym class. He ran out of the room to go to SpEd. SpEd is gone this afternoon. Principal came and tried to talk to him. Wee tried to run to SpEd room and princpal stepped in his way to stop him. Wee hit the principal.

I told wee that SpEd wasn't there today. He said he forgot, he was mad and he just needed to get to SpEd and principal stopped him.

Not looking good.

Marguerite

I posted at length on your other thread. Seriously - if you can, keep him home while SpEd is not there. Yes, the school needs to put someone else available to him that he feels safe with, but that is their problem and shouldn't be wee's problem. THEY have to work on this and in the meantime, YOU need to keep Wee safe form meltdown and panic attack.

Hitting the principal in panic should not be held against him. It was not a planned attack designed to cause harm and insubordination, it was the panicked response of an individual in flight. If you try to bathe a cat and it is terrified of water, it will scratch you to get away. Should you punish the cat? Of course not! But if a dog attacks a neighbour, just runs out and goes for the throat and causes serious harm, that dog is often destroyed. There is a very big difference between a panicked creature, and a dangerous one.

Wee is not dangerous. He has special needs which the school knows about, and SpEd's absence, however necessary, makes wee's presence at school untenable. Measures need to be put in place to make school a safe place for wee and therefore others.

Don't let them punish wee for this. Of course he knows to not hit people, but who can think when they're terrified?

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thanks for your replies, Marg. I posted the full story as it stands in SpEd 101. I'll spare everyone the agony of posting it twice.

http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31305

If you want to read it...

But you are right...until they provide another viable option, wee will only attend when SpEd is there. They won't like that, because they don't like any child to be dependant on a single person, but they can just get over it. I jsut wish I'd pulled him today, because it did cross my mind...but he missed so much of last week...

Suspension stands for now, but I'm working on it. I can't take 5 more days off work, so he'll be with grandmas, which means there won't be much done in the way of school work. I will likely tell them this, too, and there is nothing I can do. I can not give my child the level of services he is currently recieving to help the school help him if I am not employed...wee having some "vacation days" is the cost of their decision. Just wish it didn't hurt wee so bad.