Piglet and her phone

JJJ

Piglet made the school musical. This is a big deal. She had rehearsal today to work on singing (large group, about 40 kids). It was a 60 minute rehearsal during which she sent 24 texts. I am disappointed that, once again, I give one of my kids some rope and they hang themselves.

Since she can't seem to self-regulate when it is appropriate to use her phone (trust me, this is not our 1st conversation about this), I went through the calendar and locked down her phone during homework time and rehearsals. Of course, she thinks I'm the wicked witch of the west and takes no responsibility for her actions.

I know this is 100% typical teen but it is still frustrating!

TerryJ2

Good for you!
Self control is NOT our difficult child's strength. :(
That's what parents are for; if our kids can't do it by themselves, we'll be there to help them. Even when they don't appreciate it.
I'm sorry for your frustration. I hear you!

InsaneCdn

It is a small consolation, though, that this is the kind of problem you could take to any group of women at a working watercooler and they'd tell you... yup, typical teen, been there done that... This isn't a GFGism, but... we don't have to like it.

Oh lawd. Same battle happened here tonight. Only GFG14 has lost texting indefinately and my title rhymes with witch. All her friends agree. I'm the most evil mother in all the land. I'd be glad to share my title but there was a vote, or convention, I don't know, there was something. And I won. Hands down.

Glad to hear someone else is fighting the good fight. And if the meltdown was anything like the one we endured here... you deserve chocolate.

StressedM0mma

Yep. typical teen behavior for sure. I have to admit, I have fallen into the when I have a free second I text someone. Instead of just sitting quietly, I feel I need to be on my phone. (I just wish I was closer to the typical teen years!)

Wiped Out

Staff member
I remember having to take easy child/difficult child's texting away for 2 years because of all the texting she was doing. Of course, now we have unlimited and she rarely uses it!

Bunny

I second that you deserve chocolate. And maybe some wine. Or some chocolate wine. That would kill two birds with one stone.

ksm

That is odd, last night my difficult child awarded me that trophy too! But I won because "This is the only house who turns off the wifi at 10pm! All my friends parents leave it on all night long and you freaking don't trust me!" Yup. The one time she talked me in to leaving it on was the night before her friends 16th birthday. She wanted to be the first friend to write Happy Birthday! on her FB page. So I relented. She said she would set her alarm, write the birthday greeting, then go back to sleep. Nope. She was up til midnight texting (with ipod) to a boy who we don't care for. Next day... they are "dating". All because I was stupid enough to give in a little one night. Aarrgghh. Hold your ground! KSM

JJJ

All because I was stupid enough to give in a little one night.

I have this sameagrument with myself. I feel I have to give them a chance to show they do have self-control but I hate when they blow it.

greenrene

Every time we've given difficult child even the shortest amount of rope, she's managed to blow it completely out of the water. I feel your frustration bigtime!

JJJ

A couple years ago I considered taking all 3 kiddos away for the summer (with husband joining us on weekends and his vacation days). I wanted to go to the middle of a forest preserve -- no phones, no iPads, no electronics at all. Just a nature reboot! I wonder if I'd come back with different kids.

buddy

That would be a cool experiment. I'm telling myself Q's lack of friends and poor writing are a blessing on this front. He had 240 minutes for 90 days (3 texts=1minute) and he has used only half. They expire mid March. He's done really well. Feels like a normal kid having a phone (mostly used to ask me whats for supper) and no one to text. My family sends him sweet texts and his Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) texts change in schedule or activity ideas. It works great for him to work through those issues with them. Sometimes his not being typical teen works out.

SuZir

JJJ, feel your frustration even though it may not be quite that bad with boys. But oh dear how much I hate it, when I think I'm having a conversation with my son and then noticed that he is texting under the table or otherwise so that I don't see. At times even at dinner table!

That would be a cool experiment. I'm telling myself Q's lack of friends and poor writing are a blessing on this front. He had 240 minutes for 90 days (3 texts=1minute) and he has used only half. They expire mid March. He's done really well. Feels like a normal kid having a phone (mostly used to ask me whats for supper) and no one to text. My family sends him sweet texts and his Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) texts change in schedule or activity ideas. It works great for him to work through those issues with them. Sometimes his not being typical teen works out.

But this one really made my day. So happy that Q is doing well with his phone and is using it so appropriate manner and can feel bit more like everyone else! This is really cool news!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
A couple years ago I considered taking all 3 kiddos away for the summer (with husband joining us on weekends and his vacation days). I wanted to go to the middle of a forest preserve -- no phones, no iPads, no electronics at all. Just a nature reboot! I wonder if I'd come back with different kids.

or maybe no kids at all after yours went screaming off into the woods.... LOL!