PLans for next school year...when to start?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Our school year begins mid-August.

When should I start bugging the school to get together and start working on plans for wee difficult child?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shari... Yesterday?

I know we are working on getting difficult child 1's new IEP and difficult child 2's in-place IEP right now. New issues for both, so...

The schools are closed mid-July to first week of August here, so we have to get things done soon!

jal

Shari...I would get going ASAP the longer you wait the more chance you have of things not being in place in time for difficult child to start school.

BestICan

This community rocks.
I'm just amazed that you all have people to contact over the summer! Our schools are deserted from maybe 2 days after school ends until maybe 3 days before it starts. I agree, sooner is better, even though *you* probably could use a break from it over the summer...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Shari,
From a teacher's stand point I would try about 2 weeks before school starts. I know during the summer I'm not available for that until about 2 weeks before school starts. Also there is summer school in our building until the beginning of August and we can't even get in our rooms until about 2 weeks after that.

In addition, from experience of getting difficult child's staff together we usually end up being able to meet about a week before school starts.

Jena

Hi, yea i'd say about 2 weeks before hand also. That's when i begin to nag them lol. It's funny huh it begins again without ever truly feeling like it started (break from school, that is)

jannie

trying to survive....
Is his iep and BIP completed?? If not, I would contact the school this summer to complete this needed paperwork. Fingers crossed for a fabulous teacher

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We have an iep of sorts. I'm not happy with it, and they had a screwy way of getting it signed, which I fell for...but water under the bridge and lessoned learned, and now we'll be amending it a lot. There is no BIP to speak of. What they are calling the BIP is another goal sheet, with no useful information to help anyone deal with his behavior.

change

I know in my school district, they do all the IEP's the at the end of the school year for the next year...especially if they are going from one school to another (promotion ARD's). If not, they do them when it is they're annual ARD time.