PLEASE ANSWER, ASAP!!!

Sara PA

It is suppose to be in writing.

ETA: I can't find it on line but requests for evaluations, change of placement, IEP meetings, etc are always suppose to be in writing whether initiated by the school or the parent.

Some districts will act on non-written requests for evaluation; others will ask you to put it in writing. And then there are school districts that will let you think they are accepting a nonwritten request for an evaluation then, after 45 days, announce it isn't going to happen because it wasn't a written request.

ALL communication with the school should be in writing. I use to take a copy to the school office, have the receptionist time stamp and initial it and make me a copy. Cheaper and a better record than mailing it certified.

F

flutterbee

The thing about doing it verbally is that you have no proof to back you up. (Sad that you need it, I know.) Sending the request in writing via certified mail is proof that you've made the request plus starts the time line as there is a definitive date the request was received.

meowbunny

I know I had to do it in writing. Even then, the school district would claim they didn't receive it until I sent it certified mail, return receipt requested.

jannie

trying to survive....
The school is supposed to honor your verbal request....however it is always best to put the request in writing.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I hand delivered my letter to the school superintendent and cc-ed all difficult child's teachers, including the school Special Education department head, the principal and the vice principal. I wasn't taking anymore chances since my prior requests went ignored.

Pumkinpie

My school district will accept a verbal request but I think everyone is right doing a written one is in everyones best interest. I guess it really depends on how compliant your school is with you and your children. Ive actually had a teacher call me at home from her house and told me that the next day I needed to call her and request a revision of his IEP lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our district will accept a verbal request. They just won't do anything with it.

It is a MUST to send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Without this you have NO protections.

Susie

My SD listens when you make a request verbally but NEVER acts on it. Unless you figure it out on your own that everything needs to be in writing, your requests will NEVER be acted upon.

I agree with those that said all requests should be in writing. They should either be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, or delivered by hand with your copy signed and date stamped by the person who you hand it to.

I have to hand deliver a note to the SPED department this morning. I feel badly for those who don't have access to a computer and printer. It just makes the job that much harder...

in my humble opinion, this is just one more stalling tactic the SDs use to save as much money as possible for as long as possible.

I hope you have better luck than I'm having!!! WFEN

ShakinThingzUp

It all depends on the teacher you are dealing with how much they will act on it (and the school).
In our case, we have dealt with two distinctly different schools, within the same state.

The first school ignored my request (sent in writing by note in child's agenda) to begin IEP process. Eventually, I went down there in person, and got some help. But, it was near the end of the school year. We moved during the summer.

At the second school, I mentioned the possible need for it, verbally to the teacher. She immediately made arrangements for testing (while I was still sitting beside her desk), and continuously kept me updated.

What I noticed, was that every time they made a new step they had ME sign something saying I received it.

You can do the same. Write whatever notes you want to and have the teacher sign saying she received it, etc.

And, when you have an IEP meeting, use the notes section on it - write whatever notes you want there - There should be many people in the room signing witness to it.

God Bless!
Amy

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
The whole idea is to leave a paper trail so if the system breaks down you can identify where it was broken. Even if you hand deliver I would ask for a receipt from whomever accepted it. You need hardcopy proof in this day and age. The teacher who keeps the ball rolling is rare, but they do exist. So if you find a teacher like that, keep them involved as much as possible. Just my thoughts....

ShakespeareMamaX

You guys are awesome.

Thank you all so much.

It's unfortunate that people have to deal with the school system like some have to deal with parents who don't keep up with visitation and child support.

I can't help but relate the two. It's the same, stupid process.

Evidence evidence evidence.

*sigh*

It's a bit late for the initial letter, but everything from here on in will most definitely be signed, copied, time stamped and, if necessary, photographed in the hands of the darn school.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. I love this site and everyone on it!!!

<3 <3 <3