Please help with advice for despondent college age son

2much2recover

All I know is that he was give a prescription for 20 mg of citalopram which I guess is the generic for Celexa. I did ask the doctor if he does therapy or just medication management.
Just a heads up, I tried Celexa and eventually it made me highly aggressive. I finally asked my Dr. to take me off and then he prescribed Lexapro (generic now)which I have been on for years with no problems. Keep and eye on your son as he adjusts to anti-depressants - they have known to push people further off the edge, especially young people.
Hope things get better soon.

BusynMember

Celexa is an antidepressant. I've taken them most of my life. They take an average of six to eight weeks to kick in so don't expect miracles. Some also may not work for your son.

You can passively force him to get up. If his problem is depression, and at least part of it seems to be, nothing is worse than laying around. I know from having struggled all my life with depression. At one time it was severe. Just laying around is horrible for it. Makes it worse. If he is suicidal he should be in the hospital. If he's not, at least don't make his meals or do his laundry or treat him like an invalid. If he WERE in a hospital he would be FORCED to get out of bed and interact and some have chores.

Tough love, however, does not cure depression. medications and therapy do. I would insist he take his medications and go to therapy as a condition to living in your house. I would also make him do his normal chores. Not sure about the job.

Childofmine

one day at a time
I remember feeling afraid and scared to say just about anything to my son when he was "doing better". I thought one wrong move or word from me would shatter what I thought was a very fragile person.

This is the same person who walked to work three miles at 2 a.m. this fall, from a homeless bench wrapped in a blanket, to work 8 hours. He did this for two months before we helped him get an apartment.

I say this because in many cases, our fear holds us hostage. And then, soon, they realize it, and start using it to manipulate us.

I would consider something like this approach: Have a talk with him. If he won't answer, you talk. Tell him you are glad he is home and you know he's had a tough time. You also know that lying on the couch isn't a long-term solution. Tell him you'd like him to start establishing a routine that includes a little couch time, but not a lot.

See if he will talk about what he wants to do. If not, if he's being difficult, say your piece, keep it short, and tell him you want to hear from him about what you've said sometime later the same day. If he has other ideas, now's the time to bring them up.

If you get nowhere, with trying a dialogue approach, which is a respectful way to allow him to have a say in things, and I would say that is what I'd like to do, then you can prescribe some dates/times that he will need to take action to apply for jobs, go to the gym, do some chores (make a list) and generally, rejoin the world.

I have had situational depression at times. It feels awful. But I can still talk and engage. Like MWM said, just lying on the couch perpetuates the problem.

I would offer the respectful approach first, and have some patience with his response or lack thereof. If he is difficult, tell him he's being difficult and that won't work.

Being honest and firm but kind is the best approach, in my humble opinion. You are the only one who knows the limits here, but these are some ideas to free you from having to tiptoe around.

Keep us posted. We're here for you.

BusynMember

COM, situational depression, which I've had, is not as horrific as clinical depression coming from wrong brain wiring. I had times I couldn't work, BUT I would not let son just lay around. That WILL make him worse, regardless of what kind of depression he has. And not taking medications should be a DEALBREAKER as far as living at home. Clinical depression is a medical condition and will not go away on it's own and he sounds very severe. Therapy to augment the medications should also, in my opinion, be mandatory; no excuses and I recommend either dialectal behavioral therapy or cognitive behavioral therapy. Both have been PROVEN to help depression. The other types have not, in fact, some therapists just let you bawl and bawl and talk about "woe is me" and I always wondered how that could help. For me, that sort of talk therapy did nothing. Waste of money.

I would also have him totally tested by a neuropsychologist, who tests more intensively than even a psychiatrist, and will check for Aspergers as mood disorders and neurological differences very often go hand in hand. I do have some neurological differences and they also needed treatment and I at least needed to understand why I was different. And, yes, understanding helped. If your son is bright, and he is, understanding can help him A.LOT. I was determined to have many aspie traits but nobody will pin me with aspergers. Still I have a severe non-verbal learning disability, which is a lot like aspergers, face blindness and other soft neurological differences from others. The more I understand myself, the more I forgive and accept myself.

You son is obviously wired a little differently and also is cursed with depression, but that does not mean he can't live a good life. He does need to do what he is told and to listen carefully and you need to not feel sorry for him. If you feel sorry for him, he will feel sorry for himself and let you take care of him as if he is totally disabled...and you don't want that. You have to let him do things himself and sleeping on the couch all day should be prohibited. Again, if he were in a psychiatric hospital they MAKE you get out of bed an d be with the other patients. I know. I was in a psychiatric hospitals three times. You also MUST participate with thearpy groups and eat at a table with the others. The experts know that lying around is harmful. Don't allow him to do it. Encourage him without enabling him...tricky, but that's what they do in hospitals and he is headed for one if he can't get his life together.

Big hugs. I do understand and I do know it takes much effort on the patient's part. You need to also refrain from being "mommy." No twenty year old benefits from a mommy. Adults need to solve their own problems, even mental health issues and neurological differences. A cheerleader is fine. Not a caretaker.

InsaneCdn

Focus on baby steps.

Praise or acknowledge each positive step - like bringing in the garbage cans, or making his own lunch.

Work toward a regular time to get up in the morning. Doesn't need to be "7 a.m." - he may not be an early bird. Even if its 11 a.m., if it is that time every day, it is a good thing. Once he can hold a pattern, he can start moving it to a little earlier. Regular time to get up helps create a regular time to get to sleep. Healthy sleep habits are important in fighting depression.

Require spending some time out of the house every day - even if it's 15 minutes of walking the dog or cleaning up outside the house or even just sitting in the sun. Sunshine is important in fighting depression.

It's a long road.

Heart Heavy

We tried to talk to him yesterday about the situation and the importance of getting out of bed, exercise, eating healthy, etc. He would not engage in any dialogue. Basically he walked away and said "leave me the f*** alone." Today he stayed in bed until 4 pm.

It just seems we are going backwards day by day. I don't know if its the Celexa or not

Last edited: