*Please hold a good thought for my sweet Molly Doodle Doll fuzzbutt*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
You know, she was the worst puppy ever born.

That’s what we told her and everyone else.

It was true.

Oh. My. Goodness. She moved in with an attitude and a locking jaw.

And separation anxiety.

(I know, it sounds like an oxymoron but it isn’t)

You can only imagine the destruction. Pillows ripped to shreds, table legs with gnaw marks, nothing was safe if Molly was left out of her crate when we weren’t home. So we nicknamed her “The Mollinator.”

Let’s not forget that locking jaw. When she got her grip on something she didn’t want to give up…she didn’t give it up. Nothing would dissuade her. Nothing could dissuade her. Nothing.

And she nipped us and BIT us and even bit the daggone mailman (!). And her puppy energy terrorized our old, dear Katie dog, then over 13, who wanted nothing to do with a baby in her face wanting to play.

Molly would jump the fence to visit the neighbors and not come back when called. She would grin at us from the back 40 as if to say, “neener neener, can’t get me, pthhhhhhhhtttttttttt.” And she meant it.

Dog school was an exercise in futility with the “Come!” command. Nope, she wouldn’t do it.

What saved her was how dang cute she was. You need to picture big, round, brown eyes that could be filled with merriment coupled with a devilish grin or full of pathos if pity suited her more at that moment. Add a shaggy coat and there was no way anyone could resist.

Then… something happened… and that “something” was Chelsea.

Enter sweet Chelsea, the lab/husky fuzzbutt that Molly needed to care for and romp with and be a Mom to. Every night from the day Chelsea moved in, Molly would groom her…lick her face endlessly, chewing, nibbling, loving. It was simply the dearest thing I’ve ever seen- those gentle kisses soothing both of them.

She would rat Chelsea out when Chelsea was doing puppy things. She would bark and harangue until I went to investigate what was going on. So Molly taught Chelsea all of those lessons that we had tried to teach Molly and thought those lessons were in vain. Who knew that she not only really did learn them, but she was so good at them that she modeled them for her “baby” until Chelsea learned the lessons.

And so Molly went from The Mollinator to the Perfect Dog. She stopped barking when I asked her to. She “came” when I asked her to. She only chewed on Chelsea and nothing and no one else.

She took her motherhood responsibilities so seriously that she became terrified of thunderstorms, fireworks and other loud noises of any kind. Her eyes would grow BIG AND WIDE and she would shake and her teeth would chatter. It was her duty to protect us and she never wavered.

I kept asking her during her senior years…”Molly, who would ever have believed that you would be the GOOD dog?” And she would smile at me like she knew what I was asking.

She is very ill now. Severe kidney failure and anemia. I was blessed with her for just over 15 years. Her time on earth will end tomorrow night. I am so grateful that we had such a long time together and so sorry that it’s not long enough. Molly, I can’t possibly tell you how much I will miss you. I am comforted that you will be greeted by Pepper and Brandy and Katie at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest in peace, my sweet Molly. You were, and will always be, loved. More than you will ever know.

Please hold a good thought for this sweet ,mischievous, and beloved soul.

7/12/93- 7/23/08

Suz

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I will be saying a special prayer for Molly and you and Chelsea too......sorry for her loss, but happy she came into your life.....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What a wonderful eulogy for someone who was obviously so near and dear to your heart! I'm sorry her time has come to an end, but glad you have such happy memories of her to keep forever.

klmno

Oh- I am so sorry- this is so difficult. I can tell from reading your post that she has been a great dog and lived a very fulfilling life. In many ways, that makes it even harder right now. Just know that many arms are there to hug you and we will send many well wishes for her. It's funny how sometimes the most obnoxious ones can end up being who we are so attached to- (I think they call that being "spirited"- and there is nothing wrong with spirit!)

Nancy

Awww Suz, what a wonderful tribute to sweet Molly. I'm sure you brought as much joy to her life as she brought to yours.

I'll be thinking about you and Molly and wishing her well on her journey.

Nancy

meowbunny

I am so very sorry. I know I still haven't gotten over Squeaks -- not sure I ever really will. Molly will always hold a special place in your heart. The only solace I could find is that I knew I was doing the right thing for Squeaks, just like you are for Molly. May your last night together be spent in loving memories and thoughts. Again, I'm sorry.

HUGS

Ephchap

Oh sheesh, Suz, you made me get my keyboard soaking wet. :sad-very:

It is a truly beautiful tribute. Molly mothering Chelsea is just too precious. I have to go get some tissues now, but am sending you strength and hugs as you say goodbye to your sweet Molly.

Deb

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm so very sorry. She brought so much joy to your house. Will be saying a prayer tomorrow for you both.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thank you all. It's a blessing to share this incredible sadness with my friends who understand.

My sweet Chelsea blew her right hind ACL 10 days ago. Two years ago she blew her left one. She had surgery on that one and it was so terrible that I vowed I'd never put her through it again. Right now she is hopping and hobbling and collapsing. The leg that had surgery is failing, according to her doctor, so I fear that my sweet Chelsea will follow suit shortly.

:9-07tears: :9-07tears: :9-07tears:

Suz

mstang67chic

Going Green
**Typing through tears**

You tell Molly to keep a look out for a big handsome boy tomorrow night. He's black and white (half husky, half german sheperd) with big brown eyes and loves to romp and play himself. He was never big on playing ball but he LOVES those monster rawhide bones and tug rope. His name is Taz and he'll be arriving a bit earlier in the day than Molly. They can hang out together and he loves being babied so they should get along just fine.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
His name is Taz and he'll be arriving a bit earlier in the day than Molly.

Aw............sobbing now.............I'm so sorry......... Molly loves other fuzzbutts...they will be great friends, I promise.

Hugs.

donna723

Oh Suz, I'm so sorry. I know how much you love her. I will keep her (and you) in my thoughts and my prayers tomorrow.