Please keep this friendly and light...To spank or not to spank?

DDD

I knew not to spank in anger. When I was not angry I didn't need to spank because I could use calmer methods. DDD

BusynMember

Oh, I'd be more apt to trim the nails to a nub than spank. That makes a statement and has a definite purpose!

Honestly, people yank their kid's hair? Really??? Bet THAT helps (snicker).

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I didn't swat her for clawing me - I swatted her for punching/slapping me. I'm used to cats and big dogs, if I'm not used being clawed by now? It's annoying and it hurts, though yes, she draws blood sometimes, but not going to smack her for that when I can trim those talons instead.

nerfherder

Now I will say one thing................and I know many will believe it's abuse. I don't and no one will convince me otherwise. If a child physically attacked me I'd take them down without hesitation, quickly. I will use whatever force is necessary. If that child is young, it won't take much to restrain them. (I know how to properly do it) If it's a teen, they're going to be laid out on the floor in short order. I don't play around. I firmly believe that a person has every right to defend themselves when it comes to physical violence, including a parent.

Can't tell you how many times I've had to take Kiddo to the ground when she's out of control. With a 3 or 4 year old, you pick them up and carry them. When your 3 or 4 year old is physically in her mid-teens, you don't have something as easy to manage. I'm so very, very thankful for all the years of the softer martial arts training I've had. Pinning an out of control teen who's trying to bite, kick, hit, fling... sometimes it takes as long as 5 or 10 minutes before the tantrum breaks.

Haven't had to do it in a few months though.

Californiablonde

My dad used to spank us a lot when we were kids. He made a paddle out of wood that was an inch thick. He used to keep in on top of the refrigerator with the handle sticking out so we could always see it. My brother got beat more times than I did because he could never seem to stay out of trouble no matter how hard he tried. My dad used to hit our dog with the same paddle when he would dig holes in our yard. Never once as a child did I think it was animal abuse. I thought beating animals when they did something wrong was the norm for most people, although when my dad used to spank our dog I would cover my ears so I wouldn't hear him squeal. I always felt so bad for him. When I got older and had my own kids I vowed that I would never spank them. Now I admit that when difficult child was out of control in her younger years and I had tried everything else like time outs, etc, and they didn't work, I swatted her a couple of times with my bare hand. It never did any good. Spanking just made her more violent. So I stopped doing it. Their dad would spank them which I didn't agree with, but he did it anyway, insisting they needed a good source of discipline. Now that they are older, of course, he doesn't spank them any longer. I personally think there are better ways to discipline a child, but I don't look down on anyone who chooses to swat their child every now and again.

TerryJ2

I swatted my easy child on the butt once, when she was two. That was it. difficult child, it seemed like nothing worked for him. In fact, he hit me many times, long before I spanked him. I quit for two reasons: one, that it literally hurt my hand (and yes, I counted, and if you don't count, you're risking going overboard) and two, I asked him once whether he'd rather be in Time Out or get a spanking. He opted for spanking because it was over, and then he could go back to what he was doing!!!! (I wrote that in his baby book. :) )

TerryJ2

Just saw the notes from Nerfherder and HoundDog ... My dad would pick us up and physically remove us from situations when things got out of control. As a parent, I always wanted to do that, but really had a hard time once my kids were past the age of two. I'm only 5'-3-1/2" and 110 lbs, and have a bad back. Sigh. No way my dad's methods would work. My mom's method was totally ineffective--scream, yell, nag, slam doors, be inconsistent. We had a babysitter who was 6'1" and she could pick up difficult child from the back of the pants and just hold him there at arm's length while he raged. Oh, how I envied her! :)

Dixies_fire

Terryj2 I've done that with tk cause she's only 50lbs and it was super effective because she was suddenly hanging in mid air. I think it was the most effective thing ever. I don't think I would ever be able to do it without the adrenaline pumping from her being violent though.

Pink Elephant

I sure did spank and I made it count when I did. I wasn't one of those types who spanked my kids for every little thing, but let me tell you, when a spanking was due, a spanking they got.

In our house open-season applied to anyone navigating around on their own two legs (I figured by that time they were old enough to be spanked), and my kids bulky diapers took the brunt of the spanking at that age, so it wasn't as if I was causing any pain or suffering. A few good swats on the bottom went a long way towards correction in my home.

Pink Elephant

We had a babysitter who was 6'1" and she could pick up difficult child from the back of the pants and just hold him there at arm's length while he raged. Oh, how I envied her! :)
LOL! I'm far from 6'1", but was more than strong enough to do the same to my kids (and sometimes did)!

I recall one day being parked in the hot car at the mall waiting for my husband who was inside, with my oldest son in the backseat, slowly warming-up to an all-out, full-fledged temper-tantrum. Having given several stern warnings of an impending spanking, I finally reached my breaking point, reached over the front seat, plucked DS by the waistband of his diapers, lifted him into the front (in the air), paddled his butt, and arm-boomed back into the backseat again!

I sure showed him, for mom not only had to endure the heat in a car without A/C, but a now screaming kid in the backseat on top of it! LOL!