Please rattle some beads

mstang67chic

Going Green
Our niece (on husband's side) just gave birth about 45 minutes ago to a baby boy. Mom is doing good, baby wasn't due till September sometime. I don't have an official weight yet...will post when I do. All I know at this point is that the docs have been trying to preven the birth since Thursday night but they were able to get steroids on board to help his lungs.

So far he seems to be doing....ok. sister in law (grandma) said initially he was having trouble breathing and that's all I know so far.

If we could get some beads rattling for the little guy and his parents, I would appreciate it. I'll keep you updated.

DammitJanet

Oh wow. You bet prayers going up. Thats pretty early depending on when in Sept she was due. I will keep praying the lil guy does really well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Saying heavy duty prayers for the lil guy.........and for Mommy and Daddy and grandparents as well. They've made great strides........let's hope they're enough for him to do well.

((hugs))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sending up prayers that his lungs can be protected -- there are a lot of things that can be done now for preemies in his situation. Keep us posted!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Saying prayers for baby and new mom....... medicine is amazing..... sending wisdom to the medical staff.......

TerryJ2

I'm rattling beads over here in VA. Poor little guy. Let's hope he gets the worst of it over with now and lives a nice, long healthy life. I've known lots of premies--one who only weighed one pound when she was born--amazing! Just amazing.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sending good thoughts.
My nephew was 10wks early. He had the medications to develop his lungs early so he didn't have to be on the ventilator. He did well. It's amazing what they can do today.
Hugs to you and your family.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks all. I did find out the weight and that is encouraging. I still don't remember exactly when in September he was due but he weighed in today at 3 lbs 14 oz. I still don't know more than I did earlier but I'm betting the power of the board will come through! Thanks again!!!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Hey, 'stang! The difficult children were 28 weekers. Baby A was a "grower and feeder" i.e. no problem, just expect the best, sounds like greenhouse talk. The other one was known as "bad baby B", even then, he was marching to his own drum. Many hugs! This new life will be okay!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stang dear, this little tid bit of news ought to brighten your day and give family some much needed hope...........

When I was born 3 months early I weight a whopping 3 lbs 7 ozs. That was 45 yrs ago.

His weight is definately a huge factor in his favor. Since the docs were trying to stave off labor, I'm betting Mom got the medications to mature his lungs. Second big bonus in his favor. And those two are the really big deals. As long as he feeds right and does alright with the breathing.......he should be ok.

If Mommy was going to nurse, she should be pumping if he's not up to nursing from her, so he can still have her milk. He will do better on her milk than any formula.

Hearing his weight is a relief. Although I know he's not quite out of the woods just yet until they see how he does with breathing and eating.

Hugs

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Lisa, thank God you made it! It was so hard in your day. I remember stories of parents putting their preemies in shoe boxes by the wood stove...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I spent 6-8 weeks in the brand new "experimental" NICU at a hospital in Springfield Il. They told my mother to plan my funeral. She knew going in it was an experimental thing. She did her grieving and went on with life. All that time later they called her and told her I was being discharged. She went into shock. She'd never even seen me because she was trying to get past it. No maternal bond was formed. (thus the beginning of alot of major issues between us) And the state footed the bill due to the "experimental" part of it all.

We've come a very very long way in 45 years. :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Adding in my prayers! difficult child was a preemie-born at 26-28 weeks and weighed only 3 pounds! As others have said we have come a long way in health care for preemies.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks again everyone. I don't have an update for today so I'm going on the assumption that he's still doing good. I know how well we can care for preemies these days (my friend had one who was 2 lbs 2 oz and is now a very stubborn, healthy 8 year old) but I, of course, still worry. I know the docs got at least 2 shots of steroids in, possibly more, and had a few days to prepare for the birth and he's in a good hospital.