Please see Shari's question over on General... link attached

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Question is not for me, for a lady with a young son in the district. She requested an IEP evaluation, and sped dir is giving her a 504 instead.

Is that how the process works?

InsaneCdn

To the best of my understanding (from following threads here), no.
But... did she put the request in, in writing, for detailed evaluation? the one that kicks off the time-limited process for them to do something? by certified mail?

A verbal request isn't worth anything...

buddy

I posted this on the other side too.... these days, you request a formal evaluation... you get it. a parent has legal right to request the evaluation. sp ed dir is hoping parents dont know this......I am thinking. if after evaluation they see he does not qualify then you talk 504. other kids who parents know can have easy accomdation to solve a specific issue.. well yeah, they often just go to a 504.... my sister did for extra test time for her son... all else is ok. (sry my typing is yuck...hurt my finger again)

IDEA
Regulations

1. Add a provision regarding initiation of a request for initial evaluation.

Consistent with the consent requirements in 34 CFR 300.300, either a parent of a child or a public agency may initiate a request for an initial evaluation to determine if the child is a child with a disability.
[34 CFR 300.301(b)] [20 U.S.C. 1414(a)(1)(B)]

2. Add a 60-day timeline to complete initial evaluation (unless the state has an established timeline).

The initial evaluation:
  • Must be conducted within 60 days of receiving parental consent for the evaluation or, if the State establishes a timeframe within which the evaluation must be conducted, within that timeframe; and
  • Must consist of procedures to determine if the child is a child with a disability under 34
CFR 300.8 and to determine the educational needs of the child.