Please send me anti-itch healing wishes

TerryJ2

I try not to complain too much, but this is hard.
I hate, hate hate poison ivy.
And I've got it.
Or something from a sticker bush.

Our "lovely" neighbors bought the house next door. They set out to clear the property and in doing so, cut down several trees on protected wetlands ... on our property.
Luckily, they were small scrub trees, but still, we've been going around and around on this for a yr. I finally figured out that they were giving me the runaround, and that the neighbors had sold their portion to another person, who I called and spoke with. Of course, he said he couldn't find the survey marker, and I told him that's because his workers removed BOTH of them, one tied to a tree, and the other on a metal pole, which was completely removed.

He had the land surveyed again. It didn't exactly match what was there b4 but it was within a ft.
I crawled around for an hr, like a little kid, looking for that stupid metal marker, hoping it went so deep they merely lopped off the top, but it's in a tidal bog (probably a conflicting phrase) and nothing stays put for long.

I remember scratching my arms and thought nothing of it. A day later, I brought my dog to the vet, and was convinced that when I broke out, it was because I carried her (she's a 40-lb border collie but she can no longer hop into the car). I thought she had the poison ivy on her fur, which is possible.
Still, it doesn't explain the scratches on my forearms, which are clearly from the sticker bushes.

The right arm was huge and welted and weeping for several days. It has finally started to dry and stopped weeping. I've still got a patch on my stomach, and on my ribs under my breast (right where the elastic on the bra goes, of course) and a bunch of spots on and in my right ear.
I wore huge bandages at the airport, (I'm in MN right now) so I wouldn't gross people out (or kick me off the plane for being a leper!). Turns out I'm allergic to the glue on the bandages. Now I have red, welted boxes around my other welts. Lovely.

I HATE THIS!!

If I take too many antihistamines, I feel like my lips have disappeared, and I can't feel the ground underneath my feet. So I take one every 4 hrs, and then take 2 or 3 at night. I've also got cortisone cream.

I'm also getting over a cold.

From past experience, this is going to be in my system for weeks to come. :(

Thank you all if you read all this. Misery loves company. :faint:

flutterby

Fly away!
There's not a whole lot worse than itching like that. :sick: I did it for 2 1/2 months when I was on Plavix. Fortunately, I didn't have welts from bandages to add to it.

Try cold compresses. That seems to help relieve it a bit. You can also try claritin for an antihistamine. It's supposed to be non-drowsy, but it still made me spacey. Everyone is different, though.

If it takes too long to clear up, you may need to do a round of steroids.

Hope you feel better soon.

(((hugs)))

trinityroyal

Oh Terry, I'm so very sorry.

I don't know if it's advisable to put anything on the rash spots, but Polysporin makes the most wonderful anti-itch ointment. It's sort of goopy, so it stays on the spots and doesn't run, and it really does a number on the itching.

Sending healing, itch-free thoughts your way, and a big green Wellington boot you can use to kick those wretched neighbours in the pants.

Hoping for swift healing!
Trinity

Lothlorien

That is just complete torture!! I feel so bad for you. Go to the doctor. They can give you a shot of cortisone (I think) and some other medications that can help get rid of it sooner.

fuddleduddledee

I think I read it hear, Vicks Vapo Rub helps itching! I tried it out of desparation one day and it works. I've used antihistamines, ice packs, cortisone cream, etc, etc, and like magic Vicks Vapo Rub relieves an itch when all else fails. Try it, it can't hurt.

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you own that property you are talking about you should look into "donating" (for lack of better word) it to your local Department of Natural Resources as a wildlife sanctuary.

One you do that here in SC? No one can even cut a flower down.

Sorry for the itchies. I think with as bad as you are? I'd be looking for some prescription topical ointment and and oatmeal bath. Aveno makes a nice bubble bath. I'm very greatful with my love of outdoors that Urishol oil does not bother me. Stinging nettles and briars however DO.

OMG I rolled on the floor when you said "Don't want to look like a leper" - I think I would have run screaming to the customer service desk and said "That last flight - UGH -look what it did....." just for kicks.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
When I was a kid I could run through poison ivy patches and not feel anything....... that changed when I was about 40....... I was pulling weeds and got in to some and didn't think a thing about it until about two days later I was itching and swelling up..... happened to get it mostly on my arms, but apparently scratched my face so half of my face was swollen too..... I called my doctor and he said get to the ER...... he was afraid my airways would be swollen too........ I really didn't have trouble breathing, but they took one look at me and rushed me in to get a cortisone shot...... I itched for a little longer, but at least I didn't look like the Michelin Tire Man..... so go get a cortisone shot and feel better!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ugh.....definately does NOT sound fun. Hope you feel better soon!

No one has mentioned it and while it may make you look even funkier.....have you tried Calamine lotion?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry, sending calm healing thoughts your direction. I know when kt had a huge rash the nurse at the ER had her patting the most miserable part of the itch. It worked for quite a while & then kt would have to start patting that area again.

I've done it myself a few times. I'll have to remember that Vicks VapoRub. I can imagine it might help.

Terry, hope your feeling better soon & the land dispute is cleared up quickly as well.

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I'm still itching ... every now and then a new spot pops up, but overall I'm in a holding pattern.
Speaking of which, I LOVE Star's idea about running through the airport with-bare arms!!! I'd be arrested but it would be worth it! ROFL!!
I used Calamine b4 I left home, and found that the menthol rub (similar to Vick's Vapo Rub) works well at night, and the cortisone creme works in the daytime. Usually.
Sigh.