PO just called!!!

klmno

She's never called me after working hours so I was a little worried- but she called to say that difficult child gets this ankle bracelet off tomorrow!!

He has either had it on or been in detention since April!!

I told him that meant I'd have to take him out this weekend now to get him a dog collar - just to make sure he minds me and stays where he is supposed to! LOL Fortunately, he saw the humor in that!

klmno

I was thinking about a shock collar - that I had a remote to where I could press a button and "wake him up" if he started pushing things too far or if he pulled another disappearing act!

We were thinking about asking the PO if she could make two smaller ankle bracelets out of his- one for each dog. (They keep sneaking out of the fence)

(Just kidding!!)

M

ML

great news! hopefully he's learned something from this experience. I think the humor shows promise.

witzend

What about one of those collars that keep the dogs from barking? Set it just loud enough so they can talk in a conversational tone.

KIDDING! Just.

klmno

I didn't know they had those, Witz! Now that I do, and since I read a "gift" thread on the watercooler, maybe difficult child will get lots of jewelry and a fire extinguisher for Christmas this year!!

Well, wouldn't that be nicer than my favorite old stand-by- (duct tape)??

PS- difficult child actually asked while we were joking around, if maybe the PO would let him keep the ankle bracelet as a souvenoir. I am thinking that it might not be such a bad thing if he did.... as a reminder.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am so jealous I wanted difficult child I to have a bracelet so badly, they're actually suggetsing he get off house arrest early (court on Fri) I sware it's like no one wants to be bothered, not the police, not the PO, not the judge, not DYFS, not anyone really

glad for your difficult child though and you, I know how draining it is to have a difficult child On house arrest and we've only been doing this since June!

klmno

AOG, my son wasn't on house arrest the whole time- according to the PO. It seems like it- he could only leave with me (and I had to call and leave a message of when/where) or he could go to day camp while I'm working. She would let him go in the yard or play right in front of the house- if I supervised and called. I think she thinks this is normal for a boy his age- I wish! I don't let my son go do whatever he wants or stay out long periods or after dark outside, but he doesn't just play in the yard like he did when he was in elementary school.

Thanks to all the well-wishers! I'm not so worried about the next couple of mos. I'm worried a lot more about this winter- and whenever he gets off probation. We'll see. He has matured in some ways - a little- which is good. But then, every year he gets older, he also expects more freedom. He really cannot afford to break the law ever again.

B

butterflydreams

Just checking in late here, but it's great he is finally getting it off. Here's to that he has learned his lesson and doesn't ever have to wear one again.

P.S. I liked the bit about the dog collar!

Christy

klmno

Thanks, everyone- he did fine this evening. He normally does fine until around Jan/Feb. So, that is what I'm worried most about. Late winter and early spring.

I bought him a watch on the way home (inexpensive) so he would be able to come home on time. He wanted to ride his bike when we got home- I told him to be back in 20 mins (he currently has no friends to hang out with)- he was back in 2 mins. I felt bad for him in a way. And this is his pattern- then when he makes friends, he either gives into whatever whim they have, that gets him into trouble, or at some point, they hurt his feelings, he feels rejected, and completely loses control- not raging either. Oddly enough, his illegal actions seem to have always happened when he's either trying to impress other kids or when he is majorly depressed. He is self-destructive.

I hope I can help him better this year.

JJJ

Klmno,

My oldest son always has problems in Jan/Feb. His vitamin D levels are very low. The psychiatrist added vitamin D supplements this year and we are hoping that they will lessen the blow of the long winter indoors. Maybe it would help your difficult child too??

klmno

Thanks, JJJ!!! I am looking for any and all clues I can find- so far on my list (doesn't mean they are the triggers- they might just be conincidence)- lack of physical activity, allergy medications (primarily zyrtec), prepping at school for SOL's and subsequent change in expectations, body/change in hormones right before a MAJOR growth spurt, lack of positive interaction with peers outside of school. I will add the vitamin to my list of possible contributors, thanks!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I do so hope he can keep it together. Wouldn't it be nice if the lesson sticks? At least he made it this far. You have done a great job, hopefully he realizes this one day.