Pooling Warrior Mom Wisdome

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, I have 2 toddlers with the strangest rash in the world..........one it seems to start on the legs, not the diaper area or the torso.

sister in law brought the boys over and told/showed me that Connor had a horrible rash on the backside of his thighs.......and he wasn't kidding either, big blister like things. So first I thought maybe hives because it sort of looked like he'd sat on a plant or something he was allergic to. He wasn't scratching it though at all. Took him up for his nap and didn't worry about him as he seemed to feel fine.

Noticed a couple hours later Brandon has less angry looking versions of the same thing on his legs.....just a few spots. Well, Connor woke with new spots on his arms & a couple on his feet.......and brandon got more new ones, and now he has some around his wrists.

Neither boy is scratching them. At all. Both boys had ezemia (sp) and trust me, if it was itching they'd be scratching.

Now it hit me when I realized that whatever this is, it's spreading, that both boys have been sick over the past couple of days. Connor had a really high fever on thurs and on fri he would just scream for no reason. Branon was sick over the weekend too.

So fever plus non itchy rash. Coincidence? Weird virus? wth?

Have any of you heard of any new viruses with a high fever followed by a rash of blisterlike pustules?

No impetago, that's itchy........no chicken pox.......also itchy........not hives......hmm weird. Which is why I'm wondering if it might be part of a virus. easy child is on her way home to look at them. (she's off work now anyway)

But I figured with as many moms there are here, if someone has heard of such a virus going around one of us probably would have.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
German Measles, an allergy to medication, prickly heat, Lyme disease. You can google rashes in children and look at pictures of various rashes which may lead you in the right direction. Hope you find out what it is.......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Actually Connors does look like chicken pox. Brandon is a day or two behind Connor fever wise, rash appearance.

Nichole had German Measles, her vaccine actually gave it to her......not that, I'll never forget what that looked like, she was at death's door for 2 weeks. omg Not the other ones either......know what they look like too. And easy child went through rash images/symptoms at work after I called her.

Momto3, no but wow.......didn't know that one existed, I'm going to have to read up on it.

But all 3 of easy child's kids have had the chicken pox vaccine, Connor was due for his 2nd dose at his next appointment. Darrin has had neither the fever or the rash......thank goodness.

So it's either some weird new virus, or their vaccine didn't work.

Hound Dog - my vote would be for hand/foot/mouth as well. It could be molluscum contagiosum (sounds like something from a Harry Potter movie - lol) but I don't think it spreads that fast. easy child had some of that this past winter - it's like warts only more contagious. She had them burned off at the dermatologist office - didn't hurt too much.

When you figure it out let us know!

InsaneCdn

How about roseola (not sure how it's spelled) - it's another of the "childhood" diseases - chicken pox, red measles, and... this one. Rash doesn't get ichy, definitely red, not sure about the blisters. Both of mine had it...

JJJ

I'd get them into the doctor quickly. If the rash is still spreading, it is important to know what it is.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
My easy child had hand foot and mouth the blisters were only on those specific areas. As for chicken pox vaccine, I have friends children that still got chicken pox just a milder case after the vaccination.

jal

Hand, foot, mouth AKA cocksackie virus is specific to those areas. Blisters appear in the mouth, on the bottom of the feet and the palms of the hands. difficult child contracted it 3 times as a toddler. I would have them seen by the doctor.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Not hands foot mouth disease, for certain.

We're debating between chicken pox and impetigo...........easy child said the boys had their vaccine for chicken pox, but I looked it up and it's not normally given until 4 yrs.......so dunno. Personally, I've dealt with both.....impetigo with daycare kids and chicken pox with mine.......and at the beginning they look similar to each other. Which has me worried.

I don't know if easy child is having them checked to be certain. They need to be checked.

If it is impetigo........I'm going to be ticked off in a huge way. Connor's rash first appeared on Saturday I think she said.......and he probably didn't have but a few places....... Now if I could without any effort connect the fever to the rash, she could too (but maybe that would depend on how it looked on sat, she worked sunday) and he should've been checked then........especially since Brandon suddenly was sick too. Instead sister in law brought them both to me without either having seen the pediatrician doctor or urgent care or whatever to see what it was. Now if it's chicken pox, I'm not going to care much as I can't get it. If it's impetigo......Mom is going to be mad. Because she was vague on the whole getting them checked thing.....and didn't want to do it for chicken pox.

As far as I know, they'll be here in an hour. I dunno if she had sister in law do urgent care or maybe tried to get them into the pediatrician doctor, or if she did nothing.