Poor Maggie

InsaneCdn

YUP. Just like kids. When they are down, they are really down. And then they pop up like jack-in-the-box, and don't understand that, well, just because you FEEL better doesn't mean you can do anything you want...

witzend

As much as we don't like to be harsh on them, they have to take the pain medications. You know that if you let it get out of control it will be much more difficult and require more medications to get it back. I don't know a dog who would ever voluntarily take a crushed up pill no matter what you wrap it up in. It's horribly bitter! Peanut butter will make them lick the roof of their mouth and then spit out the pill. Bread is good for our dogs, and the trick is to give them bread with nothing in it a couple of times, then slip one with a pill in it in with one without right behind. She'll be so busy swallowing her treat she won't notice the pill.

If push comes to shove, you've got to grab her by the snout, push the pill back as far as you can in her mouth, clamp her mouth closed with one hand pointing her nose to the ceiling. With the other hand gently rub her throat from the back of her tongue to her neck. You'll know when she gulps it down.

So sorry. I hate when they're in pain, and I hate that we can just say, "Take your pill, honey." :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz I'm glad the peanut butter / crushed pill method worked this morning. I can give the normal way as long as she's not tucked in the crate. She might not care for the normal way, but Momma actually prefers that method as I know it's been swallowed when I'm done. I follow the normal method with a piece of cheese, so there is still a treat involved.

Maggie will get another pain pill in the morning, even if it doesn't appear she needs it. She may even get it on the 3rd day too depending on how I think she is doing. I want to stay ahead of this pain so it doesn't get as severe as it was again.

Once I get my cleaning done in the morning I'm going out for some "special" bones for her to give her something to do other than attempt to play with her toys. Swear to god it literally hurts her feelings if she can't get me to play. I was able to turn her would be play session tonight into a lovey session instead. Not sure how long I'll get away with that. lol

DammitJanet

I couldnt even get Abby to take her pills wrapped up in liverwurst! I tried that trick. I attempted to get her used to the liverwurst beforehand because I used pieces of it in training and she loved it so I would mold it into a little ball and stick this tiny little pill into the middle of it and sure enough, she would spit the pill out every time. How the heck?

I even tried sticking the pill in a piece of hot dog and letting her gobble the whole hot dog down. No go. She started refusing any food I offered her. Thats when I had to start crushing the pill up and putting it in either peanut butter or the canned cheese. She would do anything for canned cheese.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Maggie is a chewer, as in she chews her food the way Molly taught her to do. She has never woofed anything down in her life. She chews it well then swallows. Hiding a whole pill in anything wouldn't work. So it's crushed and hidden or just given the normal way.

Poor thing........she's also having issues with her ears again. Flared up on her the night before surgery of all things. Vet gave me more medication for that too.........and we all know what fun it was to get her to cooperate last time around. ugh I managed it this morning ok, but she was not a happy camper about it. I think I'll just start feeding her yogurt a few times a week geez. Ears don't hurt....we caught it before it was bad enough to hurt but this is liquid drops and she's not liking the liquid in her ears. I gave her a squeeze of Molly's salve antibiotic before and she didn't mind that so much. I dunno why he keeps giving her the liquid type.

Maggie might like the canned cheese more than the peanut butter. I think I'll pick some of that up too just in case.

DammitJanet

Abby loves the canned cheese inside one of her bones. I have one that is open in the middle and I put some of the cheese in there for her to dig for. Actually it is shaped sort of like one of those kongs but this is a real bone. I just spread a thin layer of the cheese all over the inner part and it makes the bone "new" again. But it also means that when I really want her to want something...that canned cheese is the go to thing.