Pootie gets her Native American name.........oh dear!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pootie went outside yesterday in the back yard. We hear barking, barking barking...I go out and see what in the world is going on and to my shock and horror?

There in the cornere of the yard is our Princess Pootie - the meek, the mild, the lovely baby.....SHAKING A SNAKE. Not just any snake from what I can see - and living near a lake and swamp, already having had water moccaisns on the tops of our doors? I'm thinking 'Holy Serpents' this kid has the devil in her jaws!!! :surprise:
I screamed "DROP IT!!" and she did. The snake shot across the grass and headed for the high grass.

I got Pootie inside and got dressed, got a make-shift snake pole, aquarium, gloves, boots and went back out to see if I was right. There in the grass, all flatened out was a black snake with what looked like vampire holes in his tail section - so NOW I have an angry, injured snake. Great! When I reached down with the pole? He sat up like a little cobra - oh how cute was that? (not much)

Any way once I yelled the boys came running, and I had to make THEM stay back. Tried to get this guy on a pole (not happening) DF came running out because my MOM tells him "Star is out there pretending to be that crazy Man from Australia and you know she'll pick up the d*#m thing." So HE comes running out. Now the only thing missing is an Elephant and a man on stilts.

So without hesitation DF picks up the aquarium and I'm thinking "WOW he's gonna help!." I'm trying to hook this guy and next thing I know DF slams the aquarium over top the snake. DONE. Slides cardboard underneeth him - shaking like an Aspen in the Fall. (I'm just watching the snake and identifying him as a common yet beautiful blacksnake) and he says WHERES THE LID WHERES THE LID? And I took the cardboard off and the man nearly has a heart attack - and I reached in as the little guy strikes and says "It's only a black snake, and he's really mad."

I'm not sure who was more angry at that point. lol

Anyway - Pooties Native name is now - Snake Charmer. (then you take on hand above your head and make the squiggle like a snake below your belly button) lol

So now in the wigwam of the Dragon-Donkey Ranch we have
Spotted Elk, Big Like Bull smell Like Buffalo, and Snake Charmer. All living peaceful by the waters of the Silver Lake.

Is it just OUR family that lives on the other side of the Twilight zone? :laugh:

Black Racer

and just for kicks - what it could have been -

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=juvenille+water+moccaisn&qpvt=juvenille+water+moccaisn&FORM=Z7FD#focal=1468a6a0da54d09886dc9d24bd64a365&furl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Agkistrodon_piscivorus_leucostoma.jpg/220px-Agkistrodon_piscivorus_leucostoma.jpg

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I bow to you o great serpent charming woman of the east and her equally charming beast! :bigsmile: My husband has a hissy fit (pun intended) over snakes as well and cannot bear to watch me mess with the ones that are unfortunate enough to slither into our yard. Well, the rattlesnakes are the unfortunate ones because I go all Red Queen on them, but I roll out the welcome mat for all the others. :winks:

Glad no one got hurt beyond repair! I'm sure your "trespasser" will recover eventually.

DammitJanet

Now why on earth would you WANT to save a snake?

The other day one of the kids friends comes screaming into the house slamming the door as she comes. "Miss Janet! Cory! Miss Janet! CORY!!!"

I go running out of my room as fast as I can waddle, which isnt at all fast as you can imagine, but Im thinking someone must be dead at the end of my driveway or something. She is standing there hopping up and down, panting, pointing out my from door, just saying "snake" over and over again. I look at Cory and told him to get the gun and go kill it!

Cory in all his stupidity, grabs a cane instead and walks out the door barefoot and in boxer shorts! Courtney is peering out the front door yelling at him...kill it, kill it! Cory is playing with it! He says its just a chicken snake. Im thinking to myself, I dont care if its a pet snake from Sesame Street, kill the darn thing! Then I think, I know my boys, they will attempt to scare me at any opportunity so he will probably try to catch it and bring it in to show it to me. I lock the door on him.

Then I hear....Oh...he got away. He slithered under your car momma. WHAT!!!! You let him go under my CAR!!!! Oh heck no!

Come get the gun, get dressed and FIND THAT SNAKE!!!

I put in a call to Jamie, I called Tony and I was ticked. Some other people in Courtney's car tried to tell me the stupid thing slithered away but I was having none of it...lol.

I had to leave at 6 that night. I made Tony come home before then and search under my car, in my car, in my engine and everywhere else I could think of before I would leave the house and get in the car.

Me and snakes do not get along.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yikes Star, you have a costume for every occasion. Glad the little squirmy thing wasn't venemous, (spelling?)
I'm always worried I will cross paths in the woods but so far so good. I know there are a ton of them but either I am too loud(strong possibility) or the dogs clomping around
give them enough time to avoid us.
Janet, I know you must have been out of your mind with fear but I'm with Star, we try to put critters back where they should be. I just don't want them in my house, car or anywhere else since I don't visit them in their homes. I can just see Cory in his boxers trying to tote a shotgun to shoot a harmless snake. Gave me a chuckle.

KTMom91

I'm with Janet. However, Hubby is more like Star, in that he collects random critters. In our ten year marriage, Nature Boy has brought home several stray dogs, numerous kittens that we had to bottle feed, a woodpecker, a tortoise, a few California king snakes, frogs, lizards...but the creature I most objected to was the BAT. He almost brought home a wild turkey (not the drinking kind), but decided I would not be amused.

DammitJanet

Well Cory came home last night with a pigeon! Yeah, you read that right. I dont object to much but if it slithers and hisses, it isnt coming in my house. I mean, I actually have an iquana so its not all reptiles, its the slithery, hissing things that get me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That's our brave wittle Pootie gonna save her Momma from the big bad ol' snake............. only Momma didn't let her and let the snake go. :rofl:

I'm no fan of snakes of any variety.......although I do have an unhealthy fascination with them. I think I've watched every snake special and documentary ever broadcast. lol I can at the very least pretty much tell poisonous from nonpoisonous for the most part. But if one of my dogs saw fit to protect me from one.......this Mom is NOT gonna interfere. And they have done so on occasion.......just garter snakes that have wandered into the yard. I don't go out of my way to kill them, but also not going out of my way to save them either. lol

Nearly fell outta the chair at your Mom's comment. :rofl: :rofl:

tawnya

The only snakes I like are the kind whose skin is on my boots.

ALL snakes are BAD snakes!

I'm like Janet, though. I try and not let very many people know I am terrified of them because some idiot would throw one at me or something.

TerryJ2

LOL!
Good girl, Pootie Snake Charmer!

I'd let the snake go, too. They eat rats. Rats love sewer systems and garbage disposals. Rats spread disease. Snakes don't.

Star*

call 911........call 911
When I was younger - (quick story) = hahah

I had snakes and spiders for pets - and see this is ALL MY MOMS FAULT and she will and has admitted to it for taking me for walks in the woods to collect leaves. I being that Leo child had to always take it one.step.further.

So I love nature. I love bugs - had a huge collection properly displayed, and snakes as pets, and spiders. You name it - I've probably had it except for scorpions.

So I realize in the Fall that it gets cold in Ohio and bring my snakes INSIDE my Moms house. I hid them in the basement. Well this one little cinnamon snake (has a pink belly) gets out. Right? WRONG VERY WRONG. It made it's way over to the laundry room while I was in school. It coiled up next to the sorted clothes next to the dryer. Mom picked up a towel and there on the floor was - this little snake. Just curled up. So upstairs she went to find something ANYTHING to put him in. And his demise would be JIF peanut butter. Death by peanut butter, because A. NO WAY was she calling Dad from the mill to come home and help. B.) She had work to get done and wasn't waiting and C.) OH Man when I got home from school was I going to get it because if there was ONE snake - NOW she was looking for the rest!!!

She slammed the JIF jar over the snake got him inside capped the lid, and outside he went, on top the garbage can. Fini!

I get home from school and on the patio, lined up like a train with towels over every single aquarium were my snakes. On the door was a note - it simply said STAR - SNAKES - GONE - NOW! MOM =
ps. JIF jar on trash can.

OMG.....I can't remember HOW long I was grounded for but it was a long time. After that - the house rule was NOTHING live in HER house.

That worked until the monarch chrysalis' hatched and I had about 12 butterflies flying around my bedroom. THAT was cool - I didn't get grounded for that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl:

Starbie you and Nichole and Aubrey will get along beautifully.

Aubrey brought me her Pet rollypoly yesterday. (pillbug) She'd had him for 2 wks. He of course was dead. She wanted me to use my magic medicine to "fix" him. :rofl:

Magic medicine = baking soda paste I put on her wasp stings (she now thinks it fixes everything lol)

Mom2oddson

Star, the story of your snakes and your Mom reminded me of one from my little sister.

Both of my parents don't do snakes. My sister is mentally disabled and had a terrible time with words for a long time. So she tells my parents that she has snakes in her room. I still laugh thinking about my parents going through her room with yard sticks scared out of their minds as they flipped over every toy and what-not looking for the snakes. And the when they found them, That was the night my parents taught my sister how to say the word catapillars. And "pitter" was good enough for them.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That is as good as Dexter almost pooping on the Rattlesnake last month!!! I was holding his leash and waiting for him to finish... I turned and low and behold! YIKES
Slowly slowly- so what did I do- took a picture- it is on my Facebook! LOL

"Runs with Serpents" -pun intended!

Marguerite

That trick with the aquarium - we do the same thing with spiders (only using a glass jar). And with some of our spiders, their bite is just as deadly as some of our nastier snakes. Ever seen a spider sit up like a cobra? When you see that, and you know that spider's venom can kill in an hour or less, you take notice.

Marg