Pop up campers

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a 1976 Apache solid state camper. It was fantastic for years and years. It now sits in our backyard. IF I can find someone to repair the chains that have snapped INSIDE the body of the camper that the crank uses to make the sides go up? I would LOVE them forever. The inside is just like the day we bought it.

DO NOT get one with canvas sides - you will hate it in no time and they stink. DO get one with an air conditioner. Ours has a window unit we modified tastefully to fit after market. Make sure your vehicle has enough torque and towing power to pull it and check the bearings in your wheels (of the trailer) each year and pack with grease liberally. Store OUT OF THE SNOW and cover well.

Other than that? They are awesome.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Our first camper was a very old pop up. We loved it.

The cons...
You have to put it up to pack it to leave
You have to put it up when you get home to unpack
Ours had canvas sides. If it rains you have to worry about it being dry when u put it away
If it's not hot enough to run the air, you hear a lot of outside noise

The pros....
Very light to tow, easy to pull
I LoVeD the pull out beds...they stayed beds all the time and you weren't making the table into a bed and putting the table back all he time
It was super easy to put up. Our cables broke and we just lifted it and put 2x4's to support it and it worked great.
It had lots of usable storage
It was way easier to clean than our 5th wheel
Is

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ours is solid state - fiberglass.

I swear to you - we love ours still - and it's a 1976. Heck - you find someone that will fix the chains - and you can use ours. Not kidding. It sleeps 8 VERY comfortably.

T

TeDo

I have a 2001 Palomino Mustang. It's easy to pull and we only have to put it part way up to pack and unpack. Ours has canvas sides and we have had no problems with it at all. It's very roomy and comfortable. If I had it to do again, I would make A/C a priority. Ours doesn't have it and I can't afford to install one so we just use fans for EACH of us (there are only 3 of us). I love ours!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks everyone! Anything to watch for when we start looking? And if the A lines are what I think they are, I saw one online. Cool looking but husband is 6' 5". I don't think it would work well. LOL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Mom has a small aliner and the boys who are 6'2" and 6'3" and they are fine...most are bigger.

Only thing I know to look for is rotting wood/water damage/ soft spots. Pretty much everything else can be fixed
If the wood is good.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ohhhhhhhh I like A line dresses. Makes me look like I have a waist. I mean you'd think to look at me? I'd sport quite a girlish figger - but no.....I have to accessorize....and wear boots. Where were we again?

T

TeDo

Are you looking for new or used? Ours was used and I made them open it fully and pack it all back up for me from beginning to end. That way I knew everything worked well (and I got a free demonstration on how to do it). I also made them plug it in and made sure everything electric worked. When it was fully open, I looked the canvas over for tears and gaps. When it was closed, I looked over the entire shell for any "imperfections".

If you're looking at new, make sure it is open so you can see the layout to make sure it works for you. I would still make them open it up fully and close it back up. Ours is 23 feet long and very roomy for the 3 of us. Three beds (queen, full, twin) and we still have a large horsehoe sitting area that doubles as an eating area as the table is removable. Ours came with an awning with vertical poles. That was not sturdy so when a rain storm flooded the awning and snapped our poles, I installed one that attaches to the camper itself. It is easier to set up and we can angle it any way we want in case of rain. A/C is a must.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H and I bought a popup from my mom and her hubby Ray when they stopped camping. Our girls were perfect age wise. The dinette converted to a bed and the main bed was nearly king sized! It was comfortable and cozy. We used a small fan to keep cool in summer that also worked as a heater on cooler fall nights up in the berkshires!

I can't say one bad thing about it...the putting up and taking down? Still easier than tent, in my humble opinion. Having to air it when you get home? Again, easier than a tent. Canvas sides, no biggie-they dry and only the half of ours that pulled out was canvas and it never smelled. You just have to sure to clean it after using, air it when you get home or make certain it's dry before closing.

We camped a lot when the girls were younger, everywhere. Later, we would set it up and leave it up for most of the summer-many backyard campouts, lots of fun! When it was nicknamed 'The Love Shack' by our girls and their friends (teens by then), we took it down and, regrettably, we sold it, but after almost ten years, we got back all our money!

If you take good care of it, it will last for years! Enjoy! I wish we still had ours.