Positive behavior support plan?

wincha

First question:
Can you have a positive behavorial support plan without an IEP? If not can you have it with a 504?

The CARE team has met(post not eligibility meeting) due to some circumstances which involve behavior however it appears it also stems from my daughters Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). My husband was at this lengthy meeting coming up with a plan for extended due dates, working with the counselor when unable to do an assignment not to say NO but to stay I would like to bring this home for homework. We are in the process of getting an IEE but waiting for the report to come to us(should be anyday now, its done and being mailed). There were suggestions given by the counselor and the psychologist. It would appear to me if she is being removed from class for behavior with her diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) she would qualify but they say not that part is just behavior and will follow policy go to office, miss recess ect... at what point (this is without the IEE) would the school consider her eligable for an IEP(by the way, she is very bright and doesn't need to study much to still Ace a test)

The teacher is supported by the principal, we can not get her moved to another class. 2 days ago my daughter ended up in the bathroom in a corner crying. The teacher said she thought she was blowing her nose. My daughter said she cried 5 times that day. The teacher started out by telling my daughter "Your dad says you can't work with these 2 girls on projects" so NOT true. My husband told her he never said this and she said it was miscommunication. Then she told one of the other girls she needs to make new friends and my daughter was "pulling her down", later my daughter signed out per policy to go to the bathroom and the other girls followed her in, the teacher came in, other teachers, the counselor, my daughter ended up in the corner crying. One girl said her teacher said "I can't believe she is in the corner" and later told us she didn't know she was crying.

I am not sure where to go from here. Yes when she feels pushed into a corner about work she says NO and the counselor is supposed to work with her however it has already happened today, the principal talked to her with her dad and it will not go on her record this time but future times will and will result in missed recesses ect... when my daughter feels she cannot do things right she sets herself up to fail and it becomes a viscous circle. She sees a therapist but there is only so much can be achieved during these sessions in the evening.

Any advice?

Martie

I posted to this thread last night but when I looked this morning--it was gone???

If your school uses a Flex Plan model, theoreticlly, your difficult child could have a BIP without either an IEP or a 504 plan. However, you SD is not very cooperative, so I would want the protection and accountability of an IEP.

The teacher is being very unprofessional and is in my opinion making the situation much worse than it would otherwise be for your difficult child. This is not OK--and I think youhsould focus on her lack of "best practice." (Flex serve and Best Practice are tied--school districts can't say they do "Flex Serve" and not pay attention to Best Practice.)

I know you want an IEP and when you get the IEE, hopefully, you will be able to get your difficult child found eligible. However, it could be a long fight and the things that are happening to difficult child in the mean time are not good for her.

in my opinion, the SD just wants to be able to use "normal procedures." The idea that staying in from recess is "on the permanent record," is not exactly where the action is with most of our kids by adolescence and reminds me of something that happened to me (not either of my kids):

No one looks at the "permanent record" of anyone's grade school experiences. This was a lesson I learned very early in my own life: I KDG (!) walking to school alone (shows you how long ago I was in KDG.)I was late so I cut across a yard and was caught doing this forbidden act. In the principal's office, she told me that this "crime" would be entered into my "permanent record." I was scared sh*itless by her tone of voice and went home to tell my mother what had happened to me. My mother, who was generally pretty supportive of schools policies, burst out laughing--the idea that one's "permanent record demerits" start in KDG for cutting across the grass was just too much for her not to laugh. I think you should keep your eye on the larger issues: keeping your difficult child in school for the long term, remembering that problems get worse, not better, for most of our kids in early adolescence. Middle adolescence can be a time of growth for many kids if their earlier experiences haven't given them drug habits, or made them become so alienated they won't go to school at all, or they have become so emotionally withdrawn they are unavailable to any therapy.

This cevelopmental pattern is why I get particularly concerned about how your el school is handling your difficult child's problems: not in a way that is going to make it easier for her to seek help from authority figures at school when she is older and problems are (usually) bigger.

Best to you,

Martie