Positive therapist appointment.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt has had a few really positive days with good choices being made & a lot of "stop & thinks". It's been a lot of hard work getting her to slow her little body down to think things through.

Having said that, she is beginning to ask some very specific abuse related questions - therapist prefers that we call him when she starts asking these questions & he will talk to her. I have no problem with this as I have no answers for kt.

therapist asked kt what she remembered of her last incident where she had to go to the hospital & have her hand & head x-rayed. He asked kt if she remembered what started it, if she was aware that she was hurting herself & when she first starting remembering again. As usual, kt has absolutely no memory of the incident & the hour or so before it began.

He's pushing for kt to learn body awareness before going to that level of dissociation. While using EMDR, he's very gently trying to teach kt to recognize the feelings in her body when she feels that anxious & scared. Then to ask for help before she begins to start self harming.

A lot to ask of an almost 13 year old; but the fact that kt is questioning the abuse that occurred when she was a baby is a good indicator. therapist said she wouldn't ask if she couldn't tolerate the answer. It's an intrinsic survival technique.

On a side note, kt went out with Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) worker last evening after dinner & made a couple of "normal friends, mom". Cracked me up. Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) worker faded into the background & let kt play, ready to step in if necessary.

LittleDudesMom

A lot to ask of an almost 13 year old; but the fact that kt is questioning the abuse that occurred when she was a baby is a good indicator. therapist said she wouldn't ask if she couldn't tolerate the answer. It's an intrinsic survival technique.

Linda, I would think this is a positive step in that therapist believes she is ready to handle the answers. Kinda scary at the same time.

Glad she made some "normal" friends!

Sharon

On_Call

Linda,

Sounds like kt is making some remarkable steps in the right direction - I can totally understand your hesitation, though. I think it's good that the therapist is ready and willing to take those calls. Hopefully all of this will lead to more 'self-realization' skills - God knows our difficult child could use some of them himself.

On a side note, where did kt find the "normal" friends? I've been looking around our town and find precious few. Hee hee.

Seriously, though, glad she had a postive trip out and met some new people!

Marguerite

That therapist sounds like a gem.

I remember going through similar things with easy child's therapist, after her abuse at school. She also needed to reconnect with body awareness. However, we weren't so lucky with therapists, she never did make the progress she needed and has now blocked out memory of the abuse. All she remembers is that she was abused, but we see what it has done to her.

Marg

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> sounds like some very positive progress is being made.

kris :thumb:
</span> </span> </span>

crazymama30

:bravo:

I want some normal friends, but maybe I have to be normal first?

I am glad that kt is progressing well, and hope you guys have more steps forward than backward.

Penta

I don't post much these days, but read regularly and am so glad to hear about kt's progress. Those small steps toward self awareness are major and will pave the way for more self discovery as time goes on.

And how wonderful that she made a samll connection with "normal" friends....maybe more of that to come with her summer activities.

You must be so proud of your girl!