Positive update - there is Hope

T

TrishQ

Hi all new and old alike... I have missed you all.
My difficult child is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder - it is sort of a double whammy of bipolar and schizophrenia. Throughout his teen years, he self-medicated - Since he's not a professional, he didn't self-medicate very well- he was in jail a couple of times, in the state mental hospital for almost a year, and had numerous inpatients stays. I am pleased to announce that my son is now living in his own apartment with some help from an agency and he's entering college. YIPPIE....
He's very nervous, not very confident in himself; but, I believe he will do well. They finally found the correct medication. He's a bit needy; but, as my SO and I have talked about, he sort of stop maturing at about 13, now he is playing catch up. I truly believe he can do it.
I hope to stop back here soon. For a while, I didn't think I had anything positive to offer - things have been good for a while - I still feel as though I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
TrishQ

Fran

Former desparate mom
Trish, I so miss those early morning posts. I am so glad to see your name on the board.

About difficult child, Way To Go!!!!! I am so happy to hear that he is finding his way out of the dark. :bravo::bravo::bravo:He has been to hades and back. I'm so tickled for him that you would think I was related. Give him a thumb's up from this old member.

Trish, you too have been through the ringer. I'm glad there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't be a stranger. Do you ever hear from Barbie?

Christy

It is so nice to hear a suceesful update like that! Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you and your son all the best!
Christy

Andy

Thank you! It really is reassuring that the diagnosis our kids get will not stop them from enjoying an independent life.

trinityroyal

Trish, what a wonderful post.
I'm glad to hear that your difficult child is doing so very well.

Way To Go difficult child!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hey Trish- I posted to you not so long ago in PE to see if you were around. What a wonderful surprise to see you here today!

WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to difficult child. :bravo:

And WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOO that you and SO are still happy! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the smile you put on my face tonight.

Hugs,
Suz

Marguerite

I have a friend (I use the term loosely at the moment, however) who has a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. She's also recently persuaded them to add Asperger's to her list.
She's very bright (in her special interest areas) and has a degree in journalism. She had absolutely no support in childhood, her mother sounds like she has a lot of her own similar problems, so if this girl I know can do so well, then your son, with all the support you've given him and all the help he has had, has got to have a good chance to do just as well if not better.

Good to hear from you!

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
What an uplifting post to read! I'm so happy for you and your difficult child! Thank you for posting such a hopeful post!:)

susiestar

Roll With It
How wonderful!! It is ALWAYS uplifting to hear positive updates, esp when we know how hard things were. This is just wonderful - I know your heart must be so happy!

Thanks for the great news

Susie

TerryJ2

OMgosh, Trish, that's WONDERFUL!!!!!! You must all be so proud of yourselves.

by the way, what medications is he on? I don't know a lot of people who have schizoaffective disorder.